Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This summer 19:04 - May 15 with 4242 viewspennblue

Ashton surely has to be getting cast iron guarantees from McKenna about his commitment to staying and if not 100% then we need to part ways asap? If we don't and McKenna leaves in 6 weeks we really are in a disastrous position, we are not an established premier league club and we have a
lot of work to do this summer.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

This summer on 19:05 - May 15 with 2705 viewsHerbivore

Wow.

Poll: Latest TWTD opinion poll - who are you voting for?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This summer on 19:07 - May 15 with 2679 viewspennblue

This summer on 19:05 - May 15 by Herbivore

Wow.

Whats happened?

This summer on 19:09 - May 15 with 2666 viewsHerbivore

This summer on 19:07 - May 15 by pennblue

Whats happened?

I mean, the idea of binning off McKenna under any circumstance is a pretty wild hot take. We can't ask him to give us that kind of guarantee anymore than we can guarantee he won't be sacked under any circumstances.

This summer on 19:09 - May 15 with 2664 viewsportmanking

This summer on 19:05 - May 15 by Herbivore

Wow.

He's kinda right, in a less-hyperbolic way.

Our recruitment will depend on McKenna sticking around. Many players will sign to work with him, so if he does truly have itchy feet already it'd be better to rip off the plaster in May and allow someone else to take charge for June.

My gut feeling remains that this is all the work of his agent ahead of his first meeting back with Ashton. Seems strange that all the online media publications have been staggering stories about this United link over the last 24 hours. Feels too staged now for my liking.
This summer on 19:11 - May 15 with 2631 viewsHerbivore

This summer on 19:09 - May 15 by portmanking

Our recruitment will depend on McKenna sticking around. Many players will sign to work with him, so if he does truly have itchy feet already it'd be better to rip off the plaster in May and allow someone else to take charge for June.

My gut feeling remains that this is all the work of his agent ahead of his first meeting back with Ashton. Seems strange that all the online media publications have been staggering stories about this United link over the last 24 hours. Feels too staged now for my liking.

Can't get on board with the idea we should even consider getting rid. He's given no indication he wants to leave but if given, say, the opportunity to manage United in 6 weeks time he's not going to turn it down. We can't be asking him to guarantee he wouldn't take it and we can't be sacking our best manager in a generation on the basis he won't give that commitment.

This summer on 19:12 - May 15 with 2623 viewsGuthrum

A lot of that work will be the same whoever is manager. In six weeks time, the transfer window will barely have opened.

Driving out the best manager we've had in decades because he refuses to decide now on things which are likely not even firm offers yet (if they become so at all) would be mad.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This summer on 19:15 - May 15 with 2594 viewsMK1

Glad you ain't in charge.
This summer on 19:15 - May 15 with 2570 viewsFrimleyBlue

This summer on 19:11 - May 15 by Herbivore

Can't get on board with the idea we should even consider getting rid. He's given no indication he wants to leave but if given, say, the opportunity to manage United in 6 weeks time he's not going to turn it down. We can't be asking him to guarantee he wouldn't take it and we can't be sacking our best manager in a generation on the basis he won't give that commitment.

You think KMs personality would allow him to screw the club over after spending 2 seasons getting us to where we are..

If he leaves. Then it'll be done soon. I can't see the man KM is leaving it 6 weeks to make a decision.

(Screws a bit harsh.. need a nicer word for that...)
[Post edited 15 May 19:19]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

This summer on 19:16 - May 15 with 2576 viewsGuthrum

This summer on 19:09 - May 15 by portmanking

The media outlets thing is because they feed off each other. People are picking up the Guardian article and citing or re-writing it.

This summer on 19:19 - May 15 with 2552 viewsMK1

It's mind blowing that days after one of our greatest days, some are saying stupid things like this. God knows what it's going to be like on here when we lose a few games early doors in the PL.
This summer on 19:19 - May 15 with 2547 viewsGuthrum

This summer on 19:15 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

You think KMs personality would allow him to screw the club over after spending 2 seasons getting us to where we are..

If he leaves. Then it'll be done soon. I can't see the man KM is leaving it 6 weeks to make a decision.

(Screws a bit harsh.. need a nicer word for that...)
[Post edited 15 May 19:19]

He may not get a firm offer for six weeks - or longer. For a start, he's unlikely to be the only person being considered (various other names have been suggested).

This summer on 19:21 - May 15 with 2516 viewsFrimleyBlue

This summer on 19:19 - May 15 by MK1

It's mind blowing that days after one of our greatest days, some are saying stupid things like this. God knows what it's going to be like on here when we lose a few games early doors in the PL.

Aren't they just concerned with town being left in a bit of a sticky situation

Waka waka eh eh

This summer on 19:21 - May 15 with 2526 viewsMattinLondon

It’s posts like this that make me wonder whether people have paid attention to the way KM conducts himself.

I don’t think he’s the type to simply walk out six weeks into a campaign. Personally I think he has been the epitome of calm, hard work and dedication.

If he leaves then he goes in order to better himself then so be it. I honestly think that he’s best served staying here - posts like this don’t really give him the respect he deserves.
This summer on 19:25 - May 15 with 2480 viewspennblue

Well i think you can ask that question. I am not saying bin him off at all, i am saying if he cannot guarantee he will give us one full season then we would be better off starting with a new manager as quickly as possible. This is a massive challenge this season and we really dont need anything making it any harder, that is not an unreasonable stance given the circumstances

This summer on 19:29 - May 15 with 2424 viewspennblue

This summer on 19:21 - May 15 by MattinLondon

It’s posts like this that make me wonder whether people have paid attention to the way KM conducts himself.

I don’t think he’s the type to simply walk out six weeks into a campaign. Personally I think he has been the epitome of calm, hard work and dedication.

If he leaves then he goes in order to better himself then so be it. I honestly think that he’s best served staying here - posts like this don’t really give him the respect he deserves.

It is certainly not meant to be respectful, i am thinking of the club and after 20 odd years out of it, we need to get this season right

Hopefully it is all speculation

This summer on 19:29 - May 15 with 2420 viewsMK1

This summer on 19:21 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

Aren't they just concerned with town being left in a bit of a sticky situation

No, they are just trying to make a story out of nothing. McKenna is absolutely fantastic with us, but Utd at this time is just to big a step for him and I really don't think Utd are even really considering him. They will, just not yet.
This summer on 19:30 - May 15 with 2398 viewsTrequartista

So we fire him for not guaranteeing he won't move to Man Utd and then they appoint Southgate? That is a disastrous position.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

This summer on 19:33 - May 15 with 2364 viewsHerbivore

This summer on 19:25 - May 15 by pennblue

Well i think you can ask that question. I am not saying bin him off at all, i am saying if he cannot guarantee he will give us one full season then we would be better off starting with a new manager as quickly as possible. This is a massive challenge this season and we really dont need anything making it any harder, that is not an unreasonable stance given the circumstances

I disagree, I think it's totally unreasonable. We can't ask him to guarantee he'll be here all season anymore than we can guarantee we'll give him the season no matter what. Football doesn't work like that.

This summer on 19:35 - May 15 with 2357 viewsmarchy

This summer on 19:21 - May 15 by MattinLondon

Absolutely right. There seems to be a huge degree of hyperbole about Man U still being the most important club in the world and the opportunity to manage them only coming up once in a lifetime from people who clearly haven’t paid attention to the shambles they are these days. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about KMcK it’s that he’s a thinker, and I’d be pretty surprised if a very young and intelligent manager on a very promising trajectory and with a possible 30-year management career ahead of him thought that would be the right move now or any time soon, or that that or roles with clubs of similar or bigger scale wouldn’t be open to him again in future - but if he does, we can be sure it will have been thought through to a forensic degree and with a great deal of consideration to us for helping him get to where he is.
This summer on 19:37 - May 15 with 2316 viewsFrimleyBlue

This summer on 19:33 - May 15 by Herbivore

I disagree, I think it's totally unreasonable. We can't ask him to guarantee he'll be here all season anymore than we can guarantee we'll give him the season no matter what. Football doesn't work like that.

I disagree Herbs.

Ashton spoke of the level of respect between the two of them.. I don't think it's wrong of ashton to ask the question and then decide what to do with the answer
Just like KM has to look after himself.. Ashton has the club to think of..

Whilst saying bye would be seen as a mad move... so could possibly ending up with no manager halfway through a transfer window.

Not forgetting we'd lose all the management team it would be one heck of a transition ahead of a massive season ahead.

Appreciate a change could happen at anytime.. but at least if it happend during the season. You've got your playing squad already sorted.
[Post edited 15 May 19:40]

Waka waka eh eh

This summer on 19:41 - May 15 with 2282 viewsHerbivore

This summer on 19:37 - May 15 by FrimleyBlue

I disagree Herbs.

Ashton spoke of the level of respect between the two of them.. I don't think it's wrong of ashton to ask the question and then decide what to do with the answer

Whilst saying bye would be seen as a mad move... so could possibly ending up with no manager halfway through a transfer window.

Not forgetting we'd lose all the management team it would be one heck of a transition ahead of a massive season ahead.

Appreciate a change could happen at anytime.. but at least if it happend during the season. You've got your playing squad already sorted.

You don't get rid of a brilliant manager because he's so brilliant a bigger club might try and poach him. I don't know why this even needs saying to be honest.

This summer on 19:44 - May 15 with 2242 viewsMattinLondon

I disagree Herbs.

A lot of posters seem to be playing hypothetical bull s**t.

It’s almost the end of the PL season, the media need the sales and clicks. If KM feels the need to leave them I think he will do so in a professional and mature manner befitting of him.

Until that day happens (if at all it ever does) let’s just enjoy having him at the club.
This summer on 19:44 - May 15 with 2231 viewsFrimleyBlue

This summer on 19:41 - May 15 by Herbivore

You don't get rid of a brilliant manager because he's so brilliant a bigger club might try and poach him. I don't know why this even needs saying to be honest.

I'm caught between your two thoughts.. I agree in part with you... but also in part with the OP..

Let's just make it simple. Sign him up for another 4 years with a 40 mill compensation fee.

Waka waka eh eh

This summer on 19:45 - May 15 with 2230 viewsDarkBrandon

I disagree Herbs.

This is insane.

So if you asked McKenna what his plans for the season are, and he said:

“I love it here. Have no plans to leave. But if a really big club came in for me I’d have to at least think about it”

You’d sack him??
This summer on 19:47 - May 15 with 2202 viewscressi

You can never make anywhere contract generally means more of a settlement fee. Best thing Ashton can do is have a couple lined up in case this was to happen.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024