Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? 09:49 - May 24 with 989 viewspositivity

taken us from 55th in the league to at least 20th.

i hope he stays, but if not, he gets massive appreciation from me!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

hear hear (n/t) on 10:34 - May 24 with 920 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 10:35 - May 24 with 914 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Its an unfair question. As very rarely have Ipswich managers started in such a lowly position.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 10:36 - May 24 with 903 viewsCarlosValderrama

Roy Keane worked wonders. Sacking the tea lady was essential at the time.
has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:03 - May 24 with 842 viewspositivity

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 10:35 - May 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its an unfair question. As very rarely have Ipswich managers started in such a lowly position.

not mckenna's fault, you work with what you have!

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:12 - May 24 with 822 viewsCopfordBlue

I can’t think of another manager who has improved any club, not just ours, so much, so quickly. Not just 2 promotions but the entertaining way in which it’s been achieved. The culture of the club has completely changed in less than three years and a lot of that is down to him. Even if he leaves today I will always consider him to be up there with our two former great managers.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:13 - May 24 with 814 viewsMookamoo

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:12 - May 24 by CopfordBlue

I can’t think of another manager who has improved any club, not just ours, so much, so quickly. Not just 2 promotions but the entertaining way in which it’s been achieved. The culture of the club has completely changed in less than three years and a lot of that is down to him. Even if he leaves today I will always consider him to be up there with our two former great managers.

Dave Bassett with Wimbledon?
has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:24 - May 24 with 777 viewsCopfordBlue

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:13 - May 24 by Mookamoo

Dave Bassett with Wimbledon?

He took them from the 4th division to the 1st but his first two and a half season were promotion, relegation and promotion again so after two and a half years they were one league higher than when he took over. He did an amazing job and certainly created a culture at the club but the football was awful to watch.
[Post edited 24 May 11:25]

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:36 - May 24 with 731 viewsFrimleyBlue

Burley. Considering he got us promoted. Then stayed with us during that first return back to the prem he then finished 5th.

Didn't end well. But I'd say he did fairly well.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:47 - May 24 with 702 viewswrightsrightglove

I would say Mr Ashton should come into that conversation shouldn’t he? He identified and employed McKenna and gave him the ‘oxygen’ to do what he’s done. He’s also the one who had the vision of what we could become when many others would have laughed at his plan. He’s developed the club on and off the pitch to a massive extent alongside McKenna who has ultimately got all of the plaudits but Ashton deserves a crazy amount of credit as well
has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 12:30 - May 24 with 633 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes. John Lyall, George Burley, Bill Mcgarry and most obviously Bobby Robson have taken Town to a higher level than McKenna - albeit not starting from such a low level. And none jumped ship in quite such opportunistic circumstances

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 12:38 - May 24 with 604 viewspositivity

i love burley, always will, he's given me some of my most cherished memories in football, however that wasn't the question.

he took a dismal premiership team and turned it into a 5th placed prem side in >6 years, however, he left us in the championship and on the brink of administration, so improving the club is arguable over the full term.

bobby obviously took us higher, but from a far better base than alf & mckenna, best manager we ever had, but mckenna's improved the club more imho

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 12:47 - May 24 with 581 viewsChurchman

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 11:47 - May 24 by wrightsrightglove

I would say Mr Ashton should come into that conversation shouldn’t he? He identified and employed McKenna and gave him the ‘oxygen’ to do what he’s done. He’s also the one who had the vision of what we could become when many others would have laughed at his plan. He’s developed the club on and off the pitch to a massive extent alongside McKenna who has ultimately got all of the plaudits but Ashton deserves a crazy amount of credit as well

In no particular order:
Ashton, O’Leary, the owners.
John Lyall
Bobby Robson
Bill McGarry
George Burley
has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 14:20 - May 24 with 501 viewscressi

His done great But Hardly Ramsey or Robson. Let's see how this pans out.
has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 14:23 - May 24 with 492 viewsburnbudgiesburn

has anyone improved the club more than mckenna since sir alf? on 12:30 - May 24 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes. John Lyall, George Burley, Bill Mcgarry and most obviously Bobby Robson have taken Town to a higher level than McKenna - albeit not starting from such a low level. And none jumped ship in quite such opportunistic circumstances

Bobby Robson agreed to Join Everton in 76-77 before we won 2 major honours and Bill McGarry jumped ship halfway through a top flight campaign having got us promoted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024