Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When the death penalty doesn't work 07:54 - Oct 1 with 1904 viewsMullet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/art

Whenever people want the death penalty in here I always think of stuff like this. Regardless of the moral and ethical considerations of the state murdering people, it seems like the biggest argument is that it costs so much and still goes wrong sometimes.

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

1
When the death penalty doesn't work on 11:52 - Oct 1 with 437 viewsDanTheMan

When the death penalty doesn't work on 11:35 - Oct 1 by Churchman

The whole thing is a bit beyond my comprehension, tbh, but I fully understand why the mother feels as she does. As I sit here with a cup of tea I’d want to be there to cheer the last gasp too or even press the button on the drugs.

But then I would beg for the perpetrator of a crime like that to anyone close to me to be released - so I could deal with it.

However in terms of a state or national policy one has to take the personal out of it and in all conscience if I was an MP capital not something I could vote for.

Am I being contradictory on this? Totally, but I make no apologies for it.

Back to the earlier point, the use of lethal injection that sounds sort of civilised seems the complete opposite. Electric chair? I’ve seen the Green Mile and I don’t suppose it’s accurate but from the fragments I’ve read, yet another experiment of US using new technology back in the early 20c and failing dismally


I think what you understand if that whilst an individual may want revenge / vengeance, including every one of us, there is a reason we do not let victims set the punishment. To some degree, judges and laws do have to take emotions out of it.

There's a powerful moment from the trial of a serial killer. He had killed someone's 16 year old daughter.

The father said this to him:
"You've made it difficult to live up to what I believe and that is what God says to do and that's to forgive. You are forgiven, sir."

It made him cry, I think for the only time in the trial.

For a supposedly Christian nation, there is little forgiveness I see but lots of fire and brimstone.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

4
When the death penalty doesn't work on 12:34 - Oct 1 with 367 viewsleitrimblue

When the death penalty doesn't work on 10:59 - Oct 1 by Mullet

I just don’t think there is a humane way to kill someone, same as eating meat there’s only degrees of cruelty and you have to adopt that position.

But animals aren’t as important as humans ultimately. If it’s me or Daisy the cow, the cows getting it


Yer definitely right to take out Daisy. Im pretty sure i overheard her an buttercup talking about armed insurrection the other day. Its a either them or you situation at this point
0
When the death penalty doesn't work on 12:51 - Oct 1 with 347 viewsbartyg

When the death penalty doesn't work on 09:52 - Oct 1 by MJallday

i understand why people are opposed - theres so many things that can go wrong with the punishment itself, let alone the burden of proof that is required to even get to that decision.

however, the alternative is to let people sit in a cell for (x) years with no prospect of release or rehabiltiation.

i do believe in the DP - but i dont believe in suffering. get it done, quick. the lethal injection (or even eletric chair or gas) doesnt do that.

no offence was taken btw. we all believe in what we believe in.


"I was a mentally ill 18-year-old kid," she said in a statement. "It took me numerous years to even realise the gravity of what I'd done. Even more to accept how many lives I affected. I took the life of someone's child, sister, friend. It sickens me now to think I had the ability to commit such a crime."

Sounds to me like remorse. For a supposedly Christian country there's not much forgiveness going about.

Edit: apologies I've copied DanTheMan near verbatim. My point stands
[Post edited 1 Oct 12:52]

FREE ISRAEL FROM THE IDF

0
When the death penalty doesn't work on 13:40 - Oct 1 with 284 viewsZx1988

When the death penalty doesn't work on 11:52 - Oct 1 by DanTheMan

I think what you understand if that whilst an individual may want revenge / vengeance, including every one of us, there is a reason we do not let victims set the punishment. To some degree, judges and laws do have to take emotions out of it.

There's a powerful moment from the trial of a serial killer. He had killed someone's 16 year old daughter.

The father said this to him:
"You've made it difficult to live up to what I believe and that is what God says to do and that's to forgive. You are forgiven, sir."

It made him cry, I think for the only time in the trial.

For a supposedly Christian nation, there is little forgiveness I see but lots of fire and brimstone.


The 'Christian county' remark is interesting as well.

You can well imagine that, if if made the news that a foetus had survived two attempts at abortion, the pro-life lobby would be holding it high as an example of divine intervention, and a clear sign that The Almighty does not agree with abortion.

When it comes to a botched execution, however...

Not a prophet, or a stone-age man; just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Poll: Worst Ginger?

0
When the death penalty doesn't work on 13:47 - Oct 1 with 283 viewsmellowblue

When the death penalty doesn't work on 10:04 - Oct 1 by Guthrum

Tho it is possible to lead an improved and productive life within prison, e.g. by rehabilitating others. There are instances of Death Row prisoners in the US doing just that in the many years between conviction and execution.

Plus it is also a function of the American judicial system which has a "lock them up and throw away the key" attitude which we in the UK mostly don't (as can be seen by the current debate around whether whole life orders are justified).


The whole nature of "Death Row" is a torture in it's own right.
2
When the death penalty doesn't work on 14:24 - Oct 1 with 234 viewsMullet

When the death penalty doesn't work on 12:51 - Oct 1 by bartyg

"I was a mentally ill 18-year-old kid," she said in a statement. "It took me numerous years to even realise the gravity of what I'd done. Even more to accept how many lives I affected. I took the life of someone's child, sister, friend. It sickens me now to think I had the ability to commit such a crime."

Sounds to me like remorse. For a supposedly Christian country there's not much forgiveness going about.

Edit: apologies I've copied DanTheMan near verbatim. My point stands
[Post edited 1 Oct 12:52]


America isn’t a Christian country on the same way we are not. Asking everyone to have the same personal relationship with God and act accordingly just isn’t realistic.

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

0
When the death penalty doesn't work on 16:06 - Oct 1 with 155 viewsbartyg

When the death penalty doesn't work on 14:24 - Oct 1 by Mullet

America isn’t a Christian country on the same way we are not. Asking everyone to have the same personal relationship with God and act accordingly just isn’t realistic.


Weirdly combative interpretation of my comment.

I don't believe that the evangelical right in America truly personify Christian values, but they quite obviously virtue signal about it constantly. I'm simply pointing out this contradiction, not making some comment on religion being required for a moral barometer.

FREE ISRAEL FROM THE IDF

0
When the death penalty doesn't work on 16:13 - Oct 1 with 137 viewsMullet

When the death penalty doesn't work on 16:06 - Oct 1 by bartyg

Weirdly combative interpretation of my comment.

I don't believe that the evangelical right in America truly personify Christian values, but they quite obviously virtue signal about it constantly. I'm simply pointing out this contradiction, not making some comment on religion being required for a moral barometer.


I think you’ve massively misread me broadly agreeing with you

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

0
Login to get fewer ads

When the death penalty doesn't work on 16:36 - Oct 1 with 110 viewsSwansea_Blue

When the death penalty doesn't work on 13:47 - Oct 1 by mellowblue

The whole nature of "Death Row" is a torture in it's own right.


I find the whole thing utterly barbaric. Humane killing my arse. It’s killing in cold blood, albeit legalised killing in cold blood, which almost makes is colder and more barbaric. It’s a desperately tragic and upsetting case on several levels.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

2
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026