Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Internet speed question.... 18:52 - Jun 12 with 2630 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

When companies tell you that you get a certain speed, do you ever actually get near it? If not, why? I had 100 Mp whatever but it was running quite slow when we had it connected to about 6 devices. I asked someone who knows what the hell they were talking about and they said that would be super fast. Anyway I was about the leave my TV/internet provider (and I was serious), had the competitors quote stuff ready to go and they all of a sudden doubled it! Plus gave me a cable box for my room.

Yes this was a weekend of sorting out my life....
Internet speed question.... on 18:53 - Jun 12 with 2619 viewsvapour_trail

Isn't it usually sold as speeds of up to...

So no, never.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Internet speed question.... on 18:56 - Jun 12 with 2618 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Internet speed question.... on 18:53 - Jun 12 by vapour_trail

Isn't it usually sold as speeds of up to...

So no, never.

Hopefully I notice a difference from 100 to 200 mbps though. Why isn't your internet speed just what it is in your area? So they haven't given me any new equipment? Do they just send a stronger signal or something. I have no idea really.
Internet speed question.... on 19:02 - Jun 12 with 2595 viewsFixed_It

Internet speed question.... on 18:56 - Jun 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Hopefully I notice a difference from 100 to 200 mbps though. Why isn't your internet speed just what it is in your area? So they haven't given me any new equipment? Do they just send a stronger signal or something. I have no idea really.

I like your last sentence. You should use it more often. ;)

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Internet speed question.... on 19:03 - Jun 12 with 2592 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Internet speed question.... on 19:02 - Jun 12 by Fixed_It

I like your last sentence. You should use it more often. ;)

Do you ever contribute anything?
Internet speed question.... on 19:09 - Jun 12 with 2572 viewsfactual_blue

Internet speed question.... on 19:03 - Jun 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Do you ever contribute anything?

He's just contributed a perceptive observation.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Internet speed question.... on 19:20 - Jun 12 with 2551 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Internet speed question.... on 19:09 - Jun 12 by factual_blue

He's just contributed a perceptive observation.

This forum is full of geeks I want to know about my internet speed!
Internet speed question.... on 19:25 - Jun 12 with 2539 viewsgiant_stow

Internet speed question.... on 19:20 - Jun 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

This forum is full of geeks I want to know about my internet speed!

Google Internet speed test. There's a good bt one that tests upload and download but don't know if it's only for the UK.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 19:25]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Internet speed question.... on 20:24 - Jun 12 with 2460 viewsNewcyBlue

Internet speed question.... on 19:25 - Jun 12 by giant_stow

Google Internet speed test. There's a good bt one that tests upload and download but don't know if it's only for the UK.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 19:25]

speedtest.net was always good.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Internet speed question.... on 22:20 - Jun 12 with 2396 viewsolimar

Internet speed question.... on 18:56 - Jun 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

In simplistic terms, they push out the 200mb from the BT cabinet, or whatever, to your home. If you were plugged into it directly, youd get 200mb near enough. If you live 20m away, maybe you get 190mb. If you live 1 mile away, maybe you get 120mb. That sort of thing.
Plus, if your neighbour is also connected and is nearer, then the cable will also carry their internet too, so if you are both on it at the same time, you might lose a bit more. If your whole street is using it at the same, then you might lose even more again.
Internet speed question.... on 03:07 - Jun 13 with 2346 viewsMarcFowler

Virgin are by far the best provider - I pay for 200mbps and I get it consistently. I've been with them for years on this basis. I also don't have a landline or a tv, so only need to pay for the internet which is all I want.

6 concurrent devices is quite high but it entirely depends on usage. Reading the BBC 6 times over? You'll be fine on 50. But if they're all loading Facebook (which is absurdly data-heavy due to all the auto-playing videos/gifs/etc) or Instagram or YouTube etc then you'll burn through all that available bandwidth easily enough.

Marc Fowler

Internet speed question.... on 05:57 - Jun 13 with 2318 viewswkj

Tops speeds are only ever reachable if the hosted data is close to you with minimal hops from A to B- the average speed I got with virgin usually floated about the 60% of capacity mark, but ultimately I left them because of horrific reliability.

It is no coincidence when a customer's reliability/performance improves, it is usually the sign of an over subscribed network
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 6:22]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Internet speed question.... on 06:16 - Jun 13 with 2312 viewswkj

Internet speed question.... on 03:07 - Jun 13 by MarcFowler

Virgin are by far the best provider - I pay for 200mbps and I get it consistently. I've been with them for years on this basis. I also don't have a landline or a tv, so only need to pay for the internet which is all I want.

6 concurrent devices is quite high but it entirely depends on usage. Reading the BBC 6 times over? You'll be fine on 50. But if they're all loading Facebook (which is absurdly data-heavy due to all the auto-playing videos/gifs/etc) or Instagram or YouTube etc then you'll burn through all that available bandwidth easily enough.

I would dispute Virgin are the best... they have been, until recently, but they are starting to show signs of over subscription with Ipswich having a 4 day outage in May and numerous subsequent smaller outages since then.

At the end of the day the Telecoms business is notorious for trying to get away with deceptive advertising methods so it all comes down to what brand of bulls**t you hate the taste of the least
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 6:17]

Internet speed question.... on 07:24 - Jun 13 with 2272 viewshoppy

Internet speed question.... on 06:16 - Jun 13 by wkj

I would dispute Virgin are the best... they have been, until recently, but they are starting to show signs of over subscription with Ipswich having a 4 day outage in May and numerous subsequent smaller outages since then.

At the end of the day the Telecoms business is notorious for trying to get away with deceptive advertising methods so it all comes down to what brand of bulls**t you hate the taste of the least
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 6:17]

We've got Virgin 'up to 200mb' and I sometimes even get speeds of 208-215mb. I don't remember any complete outages... we had a patch when it was a bit slow for a couple of days - probably was when you mentioned, April time.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Internet speed question.... on 07:34 - Jun 13 with 2266 viewswkj

Internet speed question.... on 07:24 - Jun 13 by hoppy

We've got Virgin 'up to 200mb' and I sometimes even get speeds of 208-215mb. I don't remember any complete outages... we had a patch when it was a bit slow for a couple of days - probably was when you mentioned, April time.

Maybe it is ove rsubscription on my particular exchange, as this area of the Town only just got the Openreach exchange added (Which I am going back to plusnet today as it happens- best provider ive ever been with)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024