Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? 06:51 - Jul 20 with 10414 viewschristiand

Just not convinced. Looking at our squad, we desperately need another striker in. Quite happy with Garner, Sears and McGoldrick, but we all know McGoldrick's struggles to complete a full season, which then puts the pressure on the other two and makes us threadbare up front.

I would like ME to put his money where his mouth is and actually pay for a 'quality' striker which might mean £2m+. This probably would have a positive impact on season ticket sales too and add further excitement for us long suffering fans. Both MM and ME have done well this summer with transfers, but the icing on the cake would be that goalscorer that is going to make a real difference to our league campaign.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 06:54 - Jul 20 with 6081 viewsmos

Would rather have a midfield who created countless chances for the strikers, than 1 striker who scored goals out of thin air.

Having several strikers who all score 10 goals a season is better in my opinion than having 1 striker who scores 20+.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 07:51 - Jul 20 with 5948 viewsElderGrizzly

We've got enough now for the 5th of August, but we don't have enough for the season.

6 weeks to find someone....
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:02 - Jul 20 with 5896 viewshowdonblue

Agreed !

But as stated in other posts !

Our board have cheaply signed the new signings earlier in the window to boost season ticket activity!

Now we are going to return to journeymen and season loans yyyyyyyaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:05 - Jul 20 with 5887 viewsBluebell

Perhaps we should have held onto Benyu and even Pitman?

Unfortunately most of the 'better' strikers will have been snapped up and won't be sitting around waiting to be signed.

I guess Mick is waiting for the Prem teams to finalise their squads so we can get someone on loan. Not ideal I know but better than signing someone like Moore and finding out they are crap!
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:08 - Jul 20 with 5877 viewsitfcjoe

I'd be almost certain that Mick and his team will be working their nuts off to bring in another striker - everyone can see it's needed and now we have Pitman out the door and off the wage bill it's just a matter of time

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:10 - Jul 20 with 5859 viewsDanTheMan

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:05 - Jul 20 by Bluebell

Perhaps we should have held onto Benyu and even Pitman?

Unfortunately most of the 'better' strikers will have been snapped up and won't be sitting around waiting to be signed.

I guess Mick is waiting for the Prem teams to finalise their squads so we can get someone on loan. Not ideal I know but better than signing someone like Moore and finding out they are crap!

Not fussed about Benyu, especially given that we have Nydam, Dozzell and Downes now as well who can play there.

However, it's another case of letting a player go without replacing them first with Pitman.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:16 - Jul 20 with 5840 viewsitfcjoe

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:10 - Jul 20 by DanTheMan

Not fussed about Benyu, especially given that we have Nydam, Dozzell and Downes now as well who can play there.

However, it's another case of letting a player go without replacing them first with Pitman.

I think a bit different in Pitman's case - we wanted to replace him as he didn't fit here, and had to clear wages before re-allocating them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:19 - Jul 20 with 5812 viewstractorshark

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:10 - Jul 20 by DanTheMan

To be fair, I think they had to let Pitman go before they could sign another striker.
They had to free up the wage.
Imagine if no one had come in for Pitman or he'd refused to leave.
And we did have the Wolves guy pretty much sorted.
The only thing I'd say is I don't want a loan, I want a permanent signing.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:22 - Jul 20 with 5800 viewsDanTheMan

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:16 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

I think a bit different in Pitman's case - we wanted to replace him as he didn't fit here, and had to clear wages before re-allocating them

But could we not have waited until we had something solid lined up?

Reminds me of the situation when we let David Wright leave and had nobody lined up and then just didn't replace him.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:36 - Jul 20 with 5762 viewsKieran_Knows

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:22 - Jul 20 by DanTheMan

But could we not have waited until we had something solid lined up?

Reminds me of the situation when we let David Wright leave and had nobody lined up and then just didn't replace him.

As Mick said the other night, he thought we had Bodvarsson coming in on loan, which presumably was linked to Pitman leaving. Nothing you can do unfortunately if someone comes in and trumps you with a (supposedly) £3m offer for Bodvarsson.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:38 - Jul 20 with 5754 viewsITFC_Forever

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:08 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

I'd be almost certain that Mick and his team will be working their nuts off to bring in another striker - everyone can see it's needed and now we have Pitman out the door and off the wage bill it's just a matter of time

You said that we'd be doing that when we sold Murphy... and it was clear we didn't.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:39 - Jul 20 with 5749 viewsITFC_Forever

In a world where Murphy (34) is going for £2m, it will probably need to be a whole lot more than that we need to spend to bring in a reasonable or better striker.

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:43 - Jul 20 with 5717 viewsKieran_Knows

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:38 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

You said that we'd be doing that when we sold Murphy... and it was clear we didn't.

So having offers rejected for Washington, Watkins and Jutkiewciz doesn't show that Mick wasn't working his nuts off to replace Murph? Granted they didn't come off, but it was clear that we was looking to replace him.

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:44 - Jul 20 with 5704 viewsITFC_Forever

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:43 - Jul 20 by Kieran_Knows

So having offers rejected for Washington, Watkins and Jutkiewciz doesn't show that Mick wasn't working his nuts off to replace Murph? Granted they didn't come off, but it was clear that we was looking to replace him.

Putting in completely unrealistic bids for someone doesn't count.

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:53 - Jul 20 with 5649 viewsElderGrizzly

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:02 - Jul 20 by howdonblue

Agreed !

But as stated in other posts !

Our board have cheaply signed the new signings earlier in the window to boost season ticket activity!

Now we are going to return to journeymen and season loans yyyyyyyaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn

How many extra season tickets have we sold then if you are so sure of yourself.

It's b*llocks of course, but please do either back it up or shut up...
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:55 - Jul 20 with 5640 viewsElderGrizzly

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:44 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

Bid for Washington was accepted, but they wouldn't sell without a replacement.

We have 6 weeks to get someone this time. That time it was 3 days. Not even comparable unless you are looking for a reason to moan
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:55 - Jul 20 with 5636 viewsdirtyboy

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:44 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

Unrealistic or not, it's an attempt....our budget is clear, let's say we think Watkins is worth £2m, but we only have £1m, so don't bother making an offer.

Some other team comes in, offers £1m and gets him...you're mad not to try (don't ask don't get). It's all about opinions at the end of the day when it comes to player valuations.
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:55 - Jul 20 with 5635 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:16 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

Watching the highlights of the Peterborough game.
Our game was on the ground nice little passes.
Pittmans was crying out for that.

Hey ho - I'm sure we can find 2 strikers and a creative midfielder in 3 wks
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:57 - Jul 20 with 5623 viewsKieran_Knows

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:55 - Jul 20 by BtreeBlueBlood

Watching the highlights of the Peterborough game.
Our game was on the ground nice little passes.
Pittmans was crying out for that.

Hey ho - I'm sure we can find 2 strikers and a creative midfielder in 3 wks

But Pitman wasn't prepared to do the dirty work, like Garner will do. Pitman won't chase the lost causes, he won't hassle defenders, he won't even attempt to jump for a header for christ sake. Better style football or not, Pitman just wouldn't suit us.

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:58 - Jul 20 with 5618 viewsElderGrizzly

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:55 - Jul 20 by dirtyboy

Unrealistic or not, it's an attempt....our budget is clear, let's say we think Watkins is worth £2m, but we only have £1m, so don't bother making an offer.

Some other team comes in, offers £1m and gets him...you're mad not to try (don't ask don't get). It's all about opinions at the end of the day when it comes to player valuations.

And people seem to be missing the point, we are probably looking for a 4th choice striker here, so it's not really something to get worked up about with so long left in the window.

I'd take a season long loan in the style of Abraham from Chelsea (not him, but you know what i mean) that will allow Morris to go out on loan for experience.

And as you say on valuations, it's about opinions. Mick makes that judgement and advises Evans on what he should be bidding up to and what a 'walk-away' price is.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 8:59]
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:16 - Jul 20 with 5558 viewsITFC_Forever

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 08:55 - Jul 20 by ElderGrizzly

Bid for Washington was accepted, but they wouldn't sell without a replacement.

We have 6 weeks to get someone this time. That time it was 3 days. Not even comparable unless you are looking for a reason to moan

I think years of being a Town fan has raised the cynical pessimist in me.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll genuinely be very surprised if we sign a striker of any significance.

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:19 - Jul 20 with 5535 viewsElderGrizzly

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:16 - Jul 20 by ITFC_Forever

I think years of being a Town fan has raised the cynical pessimist in me.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'll genuinely be very surprised if we sign a striker of any significance.

I think that's the point. The striker is likely to be 4th choice and likely a sub so is unlikely to be a 'big' signing.

I can't see Mick moving away from the current three as his first picks
Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:21 - Jul 20 with 5528 viewsKieran_Knows

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:19 - Jul 20 by ElderGrizzly

I think that's the point. The striker is likely to be 4th choice and likely a sub so is unlikely to be a 'big' signing.

Can't imagine Bodvarsson was going to come here as 4th choice striker though? Especially as he would have been one of/top earner here.

The first team have scored 12 goals in three matches on 09:22 - Jul 20 with 5522 viewsGuthrum

Plus, reportedly, numerous other chances. All this with, so far, little or no game time for Huws, Adeyemi, Celina, Dozzell or Patterson.

How much, really, do we 'desperately need another striker in'? Especially as £2m buys you nothing in this division nowadays.

How much has a change of tactics (e.g. having more than one attacker in the box at the same time) made our existing strikeforce more effective than it was last season?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:27 - Jul 20 with 5490 viewsITFC_Forever

Are we going to get anyone else in before 5th August? on 09:19 - Jul 20 by ElderGrizzly

At the start of last season, we had four decent strikers.... Sears, Murphy, McG and Pitman, each of whom had different strengths.

We then sold Murphy and struggled all season with the rest for variety of reasons - injury, poor form, being played out of position and not playing to their strengths.

We were in for Bod a week or two ago, he wouldn't have been coming here to be fourth choice.... we are clearly a decent striker short. (as well as a left-sided CB and maybe a winger. And a replacement for when Bart goes).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024