Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? 12:12 - Sep 14 with 4650 viewsbaxterbasics

I've been roped into doing the occasional stint running the line for my boys U13 team.

Never done it before and am bricking it a little, think there's a high likelihood of a parents chorus of "you don't know what you're doing."

Anyone got any tips for me, or links to helpful tutorials? I did a quick Youtube check but all I could find were American made and I've no idea if they do things the same.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

on 12:14 - Sep 14 with 4632 views_

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:31 - Sep 14 with 4585 viewsPlums

Just try and keep up with play. The ref will tell you what he or she needs from you. If you get any gip from spectators, offer them the flag - I find it shuts them up.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:32 - Sep 14 with 4582 viewsollie_smith2001

My advice is always to take an extra second - only raise the flag once you have re-run the 'moment' in your head - e.g. was he/she offside, are they interfering with play, did the whole ball go out of play etc.

I also found that most referees won't immediately look towards you for offsides at a lower level - I would spend a fair amount of time each game stood there with my flag up. Warm up those vocal chords to bark 'REF'.
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:33 - Sep 14 with 4581 viewsReuser_is_God

Just stick to your decision.

If any parents have a go at you then politely offer them the flag & tell them to take over, they'll soon shut up.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:37 - Sep 14 with 4558 viewsJohnhoz

I've just started my first season of reffing and in our Sunday league the linos are only there to indicate the ball crossing the line. I have to decide on ALL offsides. In the past there has been too many problems with bias and cheating as all the linos are provided by the teams themselves. It's tough, but I'm learning more and more about my positioning and when to look up and judge the position of the players. Obviously I don't get it right every time.

The best advice I can give for running the line is that if they are running through and look a yard off, they are probably onside.

Check this out: Try and complete this test without rewinding it. After all you only get 1 look during the match
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 12:40]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:39 - Sep 14 with 4537 viewsJblue

You should be bricking it parents are a nightmare.

Im a ref and the guys before me are pretty spot on. Don't go ball watching, use your peripherals, keep up with play, use and open body posture when the balls on your side of the field to give throws or if a counter attack happens you can see any offside and once youve made a decision stick with it and be convincing.

Good luck!
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:43 - Sep 14 with 4510 viewsSarge

I was a ref and a lino. The parents are the worst aspect but just remember that you're doing it becuse none of them could be bothered so ignore them and offer them the flag if they keep mouthing off.

Keeping up with play is the biggest thing. I found that some of my 'dad linos' wouldn't really be up with play and it could make offside decisions a little harder for me. I presume you know the flag positions and things so make sure that your movements are really clear so the ref knows what you're signalling for.

Typically the ref will ask you to watch for offsides, ball going out of play and foul throws. Don't go flagging for fouls unless he or she asks you to because unless you're a trained impartial lino it's hard to tell if you're not showing bias, just let the ref deal with that. Overall it's nothing to be feared, my own dad did it for my brothers games whilst I refereeed, showing complete neutrality of course!
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:43 - Sep 14 with 4509 viewschristiand

Yes, try not to worry Baxterbasics. The ref normally asks you to concentrate on offsides and throw ins. Good advice keeping up with play, I find I get caught ball watching and have to spring into life! Don't worry about other parents' comments - 'empty vessesls make the most noise' if they had the confidence themselves they'd do it, but they can't and take the easy option and just criticise. Just ask them do they want to do it, if they can do a better job? It'll soon go quiet then. The best advice I can give you is be consistent and honest - you'll probably enjoy it. It has made me appreciate what a tough job the officials have, I have got a new found respect for them! Good luck.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 12:45]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 13:06 - Sep 14 with 4448 viewsITFC_Forever

Just wave the flag whenever you feel like it. You'll fit right in with the pros then.

Seriously though, offsides are hard to judge as you invariably need to look in two directions at the same time - at the guy playing the pass and the forward running on to it.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 13:06 - Sep 14 with 4447 viewsBluefish

Firstly it is impossible to run the line correctly. You cannot be watching to see when the ball was kicked and who by and be watching the defensive line at the exact same time.

If any parents have a go at you then they are a disgrace because the most important point is that it is a kids game and should be about enjoyment. If you are not sure don't give the decision, you are not officiating a world cup

Go on the FA website and watch some of the codes of conduct videos

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 13:22 - Sep 14 with 4416 viewsrickw

Yeah don't worry, I did it a few times for my old Sunday league team, once I forgot I was meant to be looking for offsides and was just enjoying the match - until the opposition scored and all my team shouted it was offside......

We played another game against just 9 men and every time we scored their linesman flagged for offside - even when our player dribbled through himself and made no passes - the ref bought it every time....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 13:51 - Sep 14 with 4360 viewsSpruceMoose

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 12:37 - Sep 14 by Johnhoz

I've just started my first season of reffing and in our Sunday league the linos are only there to indicate the ball crossing the line. I have to decide on ALL offsides. In the past there has been too many problems with bias and cheating as all the linos are provided by the teams themselves. It's tough, but I'm learning more and more about my positioning and when to look up and judge the position of the players. Obviously I don't get it right every time.

The best advice I can give for running the line is that if they are running through and look a yard off, they are probably onside.

Check this out: Try and complete this test without rewinding it. After all you only get 1 look during the match
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 12:40]

That test makes me riddled with anxiety at the thought of being linesman.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 14:04 - Sep 14 with 4333 viewsJohnhoz

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 13:51 - Sep 14 by SpruceMoose

That test makes me riddled with anxiety at the thought of being linesman.

Very few decisions in a game involve an attacker running through whilst the defence is running out, but it just goes to show how tough it is.

As was mentioned earlier, being confident is important. When players moan you can hold your 2 hands out in front of you and say "About that much".

As long as your positioning is good then your decision making is credible.

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 18:36 - Sep 14 with 4217 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I linesmaned for my brothers team for years and the school team when my brother played and I didn't have a game.

I used to try and act chilled out and have a laugh with the parents when the ball went out of my play. Used to get the friendly vibe out well from the off.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 19:17 - Sep 14 with 4188 viewspoppiesman

I have run the line hundreds of times for my sunday team.
My best advice is to be as honest as you can with your decision making, if the ref sees that than he/she will back your decisions most if not all the time. If they think you are cheating then more often than not they will ignore you even when you got the decision right.
And if you do raise your flag for offside, make sure you stand still and keep your flag raised until the ref acknowledges you. And for offsides and throw ins always give a clear flag signal.
Good Luck.
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 19:37 - Sep 14 with 4171 viewsStNeotsBlue

I used to often run the line for St. Neots Ressies in their UCL days in exchange for 4 free pints of Red Stripe, which seemed a fair deal.

Find out what the ref wants from you some want you to be looking for fouls, others don't and if you raise your flag do it with the appearance of confidence.
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 19:57 - Sep 14 with 4150 viewsGeoffSentence

on 12:14 - Sep 14 by _

It's a w@nk job. You get sh1t from both sides, including the @rseholes who could have done it but refused, and none of whom would have been watching the line anyway.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 20:41 - Sep 14 with 4115 viewsxrayspecs

Lots of good advice.

My only add would be to give attackers the benefit of the doubt on offsides. If it is close, let it go. If it is clearly offside, then flag it.

Same kind of principle with throw ins. If you are not sure, I would look to ref and let him know I did not get a good view on it. He may have had a better view. Do not guess decisions.
Anyone here with assistant ref / lino experience? on 21:43 - Sep 14 with 4086 viewsGlebeTractor

Yes mate, I'm a level 4 referee.

As an assistant, take time with your decisions, a quick flag is more likely to be a wrong flag.

So think, take that extra second and no doubt you'll be fine... at that level mate you won't have any complaints, and if any of the parents do give you stick, tell them to take your place. :)

Enjoy it.

If you find you do enjoy it, do the course, 100quid I think nowadays, then early 40 per game, 2x games a week and its a nice side earner, ;)

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024