Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. 08:14 - Dec 31 with 12955 viewsBenters2

Have been told 'spending money doesnt work' now im seeing that a few are using the finacial side,as a excuse to losing to the better teams,so if they purchased a better class of player,spending money does work!

Happy New Year.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:23 - Dec 31 with 6520 viewsitfcjoe

Spending money works, it may not work every team as it is easy to siend money badly.

It’s hard to over perform on a small budget, doing so consistently is incredibly difficult - both us and Brentford have managed it over the last few years but it’s got us nowhere and there’s seems a more sustainable model, mainly due to the fact that Mick is why we have over performed and he is unpopular whereas Brentfird have a structure in place across the club.

Football is a meritocracy, the better players cost more and earn more, if they can get a manager in that can build a good spirit and find a way of playing then stopping them is hard - Derby seem to have that in Rowett

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:31 - Dec 31 with 6493 viewsBenters2

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:23 - Dec 31 by itfcjoe

Spending money works, it may not work every team as it is easy to siend money badly.

It’s hard to over perform on a small budget, doing so consistently is incredibly difficult - both us and Brentford have managed it over the last few years but it’s got us nowhere and there’s seems a more sustainable model, mainly due to the fact that Mick is why we have over performed and he is unpopular whereas Brentfird have a structure in place across the club.

Football is a meritocracy, the better players cost more and earn more, if they can get a manager in that can build a good spirit and find a way of playing then stopping them is hard - Derby seem to have that in Rowett

Cheers for the reply Joe.
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:31 - Dec 31 with 6489 viewsFtnfwest

Well I’m still here. Let’s just say spending CAN work
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:36 - Dec 31 with 6471 viewsBenters2

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:31 - Dec 31 by Ftnfwest

Well I’m still here. Let’s just say spending CAN work

Bless you. Indeed it can.
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:45 - Dec 31 with 6443 viewschristiand

At least Brentford do it with a bit of style and panache on the pitch. Their style of football is light years ahead of ours, but I’m told by many on here you can’t expect to play decent football if you don’t invest heavily, hence the continued long ball nonsense and mediocrity at PR that we are are expected to accept. Brentford are a progressive football club functioning in the modern era, they are prepared to embrace change, we simply don’t and plod along like we did 10 years ago.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:48 - Dec 31 with 6423 viewstextbackup

Brentford came up from league 1 and are arguably a better football club than us now, can’t really put us both in the same bracket IMO

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:51 - Dec 31 with 6416 viewsITFC_Forever

There are no guarantees, but it gives you a better chance.

ITFC are not going anywhere under the current model. ME and Mick both to blame.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:55 - Dec 31 with 6397 viewsitfcjoe

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:48 - Dec 31 by textbackup

Brentford came up from league 1 and are arguably a better football club than us now, can’t really put us both in the same bracket IMO

Better football club? They shut down their academy last year - imagine the outrage if Evans did that here! Smaller fan base etc but admittedly better quality football.

1 point ahead of us in the league this year, and like us have over performed for a few years in a smaller budget in this leagur - thibkbthey are our most obvious comparison

Login to get fewer ads

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:01 - Dec 31 with 6376 viewsHerbivore

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:55 - Dec 31 by itfcjoe

Better football club? They shut down their academy last year - imagine the outrage if Evans did that here! Smaller fan base etc but admittedly better quality football.

1 point ahead of us in the league this year, and like us have over performed for a few years in a smaller budget in this leagur - thibkbthey are our most obvious comparison

But they still spend more than us on fees and wages every year I believe.

In respect of the OP, people said that spending doesn't guarantee success, which it doesn't. That's rather different from saying that spending money doesn't work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:13 - Dec 31 with 6344 viewstextbackup

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 08:55 - Dec 31 by itfcjoe

But they’ve always been lower leagues is what I mean, sad that we are now on par with a team that 10 years ago we wouldn’t have played frequently. They are on the up, we’re on a down.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:19 - Dec 31 with 6318 viewsitfcjoe

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:13 - Dec 31 by textbackup

But they’ve always been lower leagues is what I mean, sad that we are now on par with a team that 10 years ago we wouldn’t have played frequently. They are on the up, we’re on a down.

It’s probably more fun for their fans as the Championship is still new to them and it’s the highest they’ve ever been - whereas for ours we’ve never been any lower.

The sad thing for me is you seen teams like Swansea and Bournemouth who are miles ahead of us, and only way we’ll get back on par with them is if they screw up - we won’t catch them, they’ll just fall to us.

Not sure where we go from here, a change of Manager is easiest solution - but would be surprised if it actually improves us

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:20 - Dec 31 with 6312 viewsHerbivore

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:13 - Dec 31 by textbackup

We're not on a down, we're on a level. We've been a mid table Championship side for a decade with only one season in the play offs in that time. Brentford also look like they've stabilised into a mid table Championship side now.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:20 - Dec 31 with 6315 viewsGuthrum

If you're going to spend money, it has to be in very large sums - tens, or even hundreds of millions. As Derby, Wolves et al have done. Not even the most profligate enthusiast was suggesting Ipswich are in a position to do that.

Plus it needs to be well managed - something Derby has previously struggled with.

In any case, honours are even with County this season, three points apiece.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:21 - Dec 31 with 6310 viewsnoggin

Money is the evil that has ruined the enjoyment of the game for me. Always a Town fan but I don't even want us to be in the Premier League. Liverpool's recent 75 million purchase just proves how sickening it all is. People who would love to go to the football are queuing at foodbanks ffs. Happy New Year.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 9:24]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:31 - Dec 31 with 6267 viewstextbackup

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:20 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

We're not on a down, we're on a level. We've been a mid table Championship side for a decade with only one season in the play offs in that time. Brentford also look like they've stabilised into a mid table Championship side now.

Being a mid champ team (for me) isn’t level, I’d like to think we’d are better than that, and not happy to just accept it

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:33 - Dec 31 with 6255 viewsHerbivore

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:31 - Dec 31 by textbackup

Being a mid champ team (for me) isn’t level, I’d like to think we’d are better than that, and not happy to just accept it

Every side wants to be doing better, based on the last decade of performance we're performing at around our level currently.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:41 - Dec 31 with 6226 viewstextbackup

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:33 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

Every side wants to be doing better, based on the last decade of performance we're performing at around our level currently.

Which in football terms is pretty depressing

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:43 - Dec 31 with 6215 viewsPinewoodblue

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:31 - Dec 31 by textbackup

Think a lot more fans would accept we are a mid championship club if we had a manager who would look to giving a little back to the fans. A manager who acknowledged the magic of a cup run and took cup competitions seriously.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:48 - Dec 31 with 6200 viewsHerbivore

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:41 - Dec 31 by textbackup

Which in football terms is pretty depressing

There are at least 50 sides in the Football League who'd be happy with being an established Championship side. I guess it's all about perspective. For me the main thing is enjoying it rather than having expectations about where we ought to be and this season I've been enjoying it, even yesterday. We showed character in that second half against a far superior side.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:50 - Dec 31 with 6191 viewsRegencyBlue

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:20 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

We are not on a level at all.

From a business perspective we are in long term decline. Look at the excellent blog on the home page detailing Evans ten years of ownership to see how badly the club has been run off the pitch, never mind on it.
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:53 - Dec 31 with 6171 viewsHerbivore

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:50 - Dec 31 by RegencyBlue

We are not on a level at all.

From a business perspective we are in long term decline. Look at the excellent blog on the home page detailing Evans ten years of ownership to see how badly the club has been run off the pitch, never mind on it.

I'm not all that interested in the club as a business. Playing wise we've been a mid table second tier side for over 10 years and that remains the case, it's not a decline it's just very boring.

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:55 - Dec 31 with 6165 viewsJohnny_Boy

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:20 - Dec 31 by Guthrum

If you're going to spend money, it has to be in very large sums - tens, or even hundreds of millions. As Derby, Wolves et al have done. Not even the most profligate enthusiast was suggesting Ipswich are in a position to do that.

Plus it needs to be well managed - something Derby has previously struggled with.

In any case, honours are even with County this season, three points apiece.

Dearest Guthers (poster of the year), if you have a spare moment in your busy schedule today, are you able to have a quicky look-see to find some reputable transfer sites, which have the summer spending stats of PNE. Most places I've seen just fob you off with 'Undisclosed'. Whilst another site suggested they'd spent £1.4m - whilst the very same website proclaimed we'd spent £3.5m!?

I know they got a GK in. They also purchased a few kids from Cork City, so I can't imagine it was a huge amount.

I'm just intrigued to find out. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 10:02]
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 10:00 - Dec 31 with 6147 viewsbraveblue

In what way are we over performing? Worst league position in 58 years last season. Incredible goals to shots ratio brought us points this season but we are swiftly moving down the league. Players out of position every week. Why did Smith not come on for Webster? Why did McDonnnell not come on rather than Didz trying to play central midfield? If he was going to rest Celina why not let him threaten QPR rather than defend against Derby?

We should have returned to the 5 3 2 that worked earlier in the season to swamp midfield. But no, MM simply sticks to the same plan every week with the odd change to counter the opposition.
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 10:11 - Dec 31 with 6109 viewsRegencyBlue

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 09:53 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

I'm not all that interested in the club as a business. Playing wise we've been a mid table second tier side for over 10 years and that remains the case, it's not a decline it's just very boring.

Well you probably should be because ultimately the business side of ITFC influences what happens on the pitch.

If less money was required to cover the trading losses each year there could be more investment in the squad.
For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 10:15 - Dec 31 with 6088 viewsHerbivore

For many years me and my dearly departed friends. on 10:11 - Dec 31 by RegencyBlue

Well you probably should be because ultimately the business side of ITFC influences what happens on the pitch.

If less money was required to cover the trading losses each year there could be more investment in the squad.

We've reduced costs as a club, I'm not sure how we're likely to be able to generate more revenue to invest in the squad, certainly to any great deal. Every side at this level is running at a loss unless they sell a player for big money.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024