Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our wage budget 10:51 - Apr 6 with 4206 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

....its always bandied about that we have a low budget.

I think thats pretty much the only thing that the forum has a consensus on. But no one has ever really confirmed how that sits in the context of the overall league. Our last accounts showed a wage budget of c.£18m. From what I have seen, my best estimate would be that that is roughly equal to or better than the following clubs;

- Bristol City
- Sheffield Utd
- Millwall
- Preston
- Brentford
- Bolton
- Barnsley
- Burton

So that's 8 teams that are probably funded to a similar level to us. Meaning our expectations based on wage budget should be a league position of around 16th (funny that).

So although we have a budget in the bottom 25% of the league, I genuinely dont think there is an EXPECTATION from the owner to massively out perform that. Realistic expectations will be an attractive pull for a new manager. Yes, all managers would love a big budget, but most wont get one, so realistic expectations comes a close second.

Roy Keane was sacked in 19th place, when he'd been given a much more competitive budget.

Paul Jewell was sacked in 24th place!!

And lets face it, Mick is only not having his contract renewed due to fan pressure and the toxic relationship. ME wasnt desperate to sack him.

Say what you like about Evans, I think he is an attractive proposition to work for.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Our wage budget on 10:54 - Apr 6 with 3036 viewsSwansea_Blue

Didn’t Swiss Ramble do a recent piece on us and we were 18th for wages (includes all at club of course, not just players)?

I could be completely wrong though.

Edit - so not far off what you’re saying. I agree, the signs are that there isn’t an expectation based on his patience/tolerance of mediocrity. Which is at complete odds with ME’s often repeated ‘goal’ of reaching the PL.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 10:56]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our wage budget on 10:55 - Apr 6 with 3024 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 10:54 - Apr 6 by Swansea_Blue

Didn’t Swiss Ramble do a recent piece on us and we were 18th for wages (includes all at club of course, not just players)?

I could be completely wrong though.

Edit - so not far off what you’re saying. I agree, the signs are that there isn’t an expectation based on his patience/tolerance of mediocrity. Which is at complete odds with ME’s often repeated ‘goal’ of reaching the PL.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 10:56]

Not sure, Id be interested to see it.

Couldnt find the table based purely on wages, but interestingly on the wages to turnover basis we were 10th. So although that doesnt affect our competitiveness, it does show the issues the club has.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:00]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Our wage budget on 10:58 - Apr 6 with 3037 viewsPhilTWTD

Last season's Championship wage bills via @KieranMaguire

A few not mentioned there obviously and I would guess you're right that all those barring Bristol City have lower wage bills than us. We've generally been about 18th in the division in recent seasons.
Our wage budget on 10:58 - Apr 6 with 3014 viewsSWGF

2016/17 and only from clubs who'd published results at the time:

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Our wage budget on 11:00 - Apr 6 with 3001 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our wage budget on 10:55 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Not sure, Id be interested to see it.

Couldnt find the table based purely on wages, but interestingly on the wages to turnover basis we were 10th. So although that doesnt affect our competitiveness, it does show the issues the club has.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:00]

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html?m=1

Turns out it’s not so recent - from Jan last year. Not sure what it says about wages, haven’t time to read now.

I’ve updated my post above too, to highlight the inconsistency between ME’s PL goal and his actions. Can’t help but feel we’re being deceived with talk of promotion as a goal.

Edit - see Phil’s post
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:02]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our wage budget on 11:01 - Apr 6 with 2989 viewsPendejo

Our wage budget on 10:58 - Apr 6 by PhilTWTD

Last season's Championship wage bills via @KieranMaguire

A few not mentioned there obviously and I would guess you're right that all those barring Bristol City have lower wage bills than us. We've generally been about 18th in the division in recent seasons.

Huddersfield Town, no further comment required

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Our wage budget on 11:01 - Apr 6 with 2984 viewsHerbivore

We're somewhere around 18th. I'm not sure if that makes us attractive or not, I guess someone who wants no pressure other than to finish safe will see it as a bonus but for a manager who is desperate to achieve promotion they might be put off by the idea of operating with one hand tied behind their back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our wage budget on 11:03 - Apr 6 with 2975 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:00 - Apr 6 by Swansea_Blue

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html?m=1

Turns out it’s not so recent - from Jan last year. Not sure what it says about wages, haven’t time to read now.

I’ve updated my post above too, to highlight the inconsistency between ME’s PL goal and his actions. Can’t help but feel we’re being deceived with talk of promotion as a goal.

Edit - see Phil’s post
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:02]

I don't think promotion should be an expectation (for the fans or owner) based on current budgets, its an unrealistic one and its counter productive.

I think we should aim to be as good as we possibly can be. i.e. perform as good as or better than our wages budget v others, play entertaining football (where possible), and produce good academy products and young players.

if we get in the play offs or promoted then great, but thats a bonus.

Login to get fewer ads

Our wage budget on 11:03 - Apr 6 with 2977 viewsPhilTWTD

Our wage budget on 11:01 - Apr 6 by Pendejo

I think that wage bill is actually inflated due to the bonuses players and staff would have received after promotion, unless that sort of payment would be accounted elsewhere, although as far as I'm aware it wouldn't.
Our wage budget on 11:05 - Apr 6 with 2960 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:01 - Apr 6 by Pendejo

Thats always an easy one to throw in, but we cant base expectations against what was something of a freak result.

Thats like saying Leicester should win the Prem every season.

It shows what can be done occasionally if all factors and influences are aligned, but it cant be an expectation.

Our wage budget on 11:06 - Apr 6 with 2957 viewsitfcjoe

This is the 19 teams that have declared for last season....so obviously missing

Barnsley, Brentford, Fulham, Leeds, Newcastle

Think it is fairly safe to say Barnsely will be below us and Fulham, Leeds, Newcastle above us.

I'm not sure about Brentford, but it leaves us in 18th or 19th last season.

In full seasons, it means that this is the first time a team with a lower wage bill than us has ever finished above us in the table under Mick - with Preston and Barnsley (and possibly Brentford doing so)

Added to next to no spending on transfers, I think that illustrates the quality of the job Mick has done - just a shame the relationship has come to it's natural end
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:08]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our wage budget on 11:07 - Apr 6 with 2948 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:01 - Apr 6 by Herbivore

We're somewhere around 18th. I'm not sure if that makes us attractive or not, I guess someone who wants no pressure other than to finish safe will see it as a bonus but for a manager who is desperate to achieve promotion they might be put off by the idea of operating with one hand tied behind their back.

That all depends on what their other options are.

There aren't that many big budget jobs to go around, and we are not going to be competing with recently relegated clubs for managerial candidates.

Our wage budget on 11:07 - Apr 6 with 2940 viewsPendejo

Our wage budget on 11:05 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thats always an easy one to throw in, but we cant base expectations against what was something of a freak result.

Thats like saying Leicester should win the Prem every season.

It shows what can be done occasionally if all factors and influences are aligned, but it cant be an expectation.

It's an illustration of what is possible. Nowhere do I suggest it is probable.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Our wage budget on 11:09 - Apr 6 with 2927 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:06 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

This is the 19 teams that have declared for last season....so obviously missing

Barnsley, Brentford, Fulham, Leeds, Newcastle

Think it is fairly safe to say Barnsely will be below us and Fulham, Leeds, Newcastle above us.

I'm not sure about Brentford, but it leaves us in 18th or 19th last season.

In full seasons, it means that this is the first time a team with a lower wage bill than us has ever finished above us in the table under Mick - with Preston and Barnsley (and possibly Brentford doing so)

Added to next to no spending on transfers, I think that illustrates the quality of the job Mick has done - just a shame the relationship has come to it's natural end
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:08]

Yep, hes certainly over achieved for most of his time here.

Last season was probably the first season that he performed fairly much in line with budget.

And after this seasons freakish start, our form is probably in line with budget again.

Thats probably why ME has been so reluctant t let him go.

Our wage budget on 11:09 - Apr 6 with 2923 viewsitfcjoe

Our wage budget on 11:07 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

That all depends on what their other options are.

There aren't that many big budget jobs to go around, and we are not going to be competing with recently relegated clubs for managerial candidates.

Our main selling point is low expectations from the owner and time

Our wage budget on 11:10 - Apr 6 with 2924 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:07 - Apr 6 by Pendejo

It's an illustration of what is possible. Nowhere do I suggest it is probable.

Indeed.

It transpires that some further comment was required afterall. ;-)
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 11:10]

Our wage budget on 11:11 - Apr 6 with 2916 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:09 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

Our main selling point is low expectations from the owner and time

I think realistic expectations and time.

Pretty good attributes I think.

We are indeed an attractive proposition..... on 11:12 - Apr 6 with 2915 viewsBloots

....but not attractive to the type of manager we want.

We are perfect for a "mature" manager that is on the way down having had success previously.

He'll know that the owners expectations are low and that as long as we don't get relegated he's safe.

He'll know that he'll get rewarded handsomely for maintaining the status quo.

He'll also know that a large majority of our "supporters" will give him an easy ride simply because he isn't Mick McCarthy.

We just have to hope that whoever this person is they are able to keep us in the division.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

We are indeed an attractive proposition..... on 11:15 - Apr 6 with 2901 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We are indeed an attractive proposition..... on 11:12 - Apr 6 by Bloots

....but not attractive to the type of manager we want.

We are perfect for a "mature" manager that is on the way down having had success previously.

He'll know that the owners expectations are low and that as long as we don't get relegated he's safe.

He'll know that he'll get rewarded handsomely for maintaining the status quo.

He'll also know that a large majority of our "supporters" will give him an easy ride simply because he isn't Mick McCarthy.

We just have to hope that whoever this person is they are able to keep us in the division.

That depends on what type of manager you want.

Who is on your wish list that you would exclude on this basis?

I think that the majority of those already mentioned would find the job appealing. Primarily because we are in a higher league than they currently manage in.

I dont think we will be the next stop for Conte, and we wont be tempting Sir Alex out of retirement.

Our wage budget on 11:17 - Apr 6 with 2898 viewsNo9

As far as Towns wage bill is concerned it doesn't seperate out playng from non playing staff does it?
So if you take the numbers ITFC employ agains the wage bill it is relatively low. It would be better if the players & non players were repoted separately

But I think you are right there are clubs with much lower wages than Town
Our wage budget on 11:20 - Apr 6 with 2887 viewsitfcjoe

Our wage budget on 11:17 - Apr 6 by No9

As far as Towns wage bill is concerned it doesn't seperate out playng from non playing staff does it?
So if you take the numbers ITFC employ agains the wage bill it is relatively low. It would be better if the players & non players were repoted separately

But I think you are right there are clubs with much lower wages than Town

We are 18th or 19th in the league, the only clubs with much lower wages are Burton or in League 1

Our wage budget on 11:21 - Apr 6 with 2884 viewsBOjK

Being paid a million pounds a year.
Much less likely to be sacked than at other clubs.
No interference from owner than at other clubs
Reasonable expectations.

I would say Evans is an exceedingly attractive owner to work for.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Our wage budget on 11:21 - Apr 6 with 2876 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 11:21 - Apr 6 by BOjK

Being paid a million pounds a year.
Much less likely to be sacked than at other clubs.
No interference from owner than at other clubs
Reasonable expectations.

I would say Evans is an exceedingly attractive owner to work for.

Indeed.

I don't see what's in it for..... on 11:43 - Apr 6 with 2838 viewsBloots

We are indeed an attractive proposition..... on 11:15 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

That depends on what type of manager you want.

Who is on your wish list that you would exclude on this basis?

I think that the majority of those already mentioned would find the job appealing. Primarily because we are in a higher league than they currently manage in.

I dont think we will be the next stop for Conte, and we wont be tempting Sir Alex out of retirement.

....a young progressive manager.

Most of those mentioned are flying high in the 3rd Division.

We won't even have the transfer budget for them to bring any of their current players with them.

If we use Cook as an example his team is built around players like Powell, Power and Burn. We couldn't afford any of them.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I don't see what's in it for..... on 11:49 - Apr 6 with 2811 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't see what's in it for..... on 11:43 - Apr 6 by Bloots

....a young progressive manager.

Most of those mentioned are flying high in the 3rd Division.

We won't even have the transfer budget for them to bring any of their current players with them.

If we use Cook as an example his team is built around players like Powell, Power and Burn. We couldn't afford any of them.

I disagree.

Hurst would come, even if Shrewsbury get promoted. He will have a bigger budget at Town.

Mowbray will come if Blackburn remain in League 1.

The Cowley brother would certainly take the chance to move into the Champ.

Cook would come if Wigan dont get promoted.

Nathan Jones would jump at the chance.

Warburton would come.

Granted, SOME might not be achievable depending on their status at the time, but thats the same with ANY shortlist drawn up for recruitment.

You also have to factor one other thing in..... we have no idea what budget ME will give a new manager. He might back them like he did with Keane. Unlikely, but he might.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024