Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? 17:30 - Apr 29 with 2756 viewsGollum

After his efforts with North Korea??
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 17:38 - Apr 29 with 2742 viewsJakeITFC

Kim Jong-Un and Moon Jae-In surely.
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 17:43 - Apr 29 with 2729 viewstcblue

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 17:38 - Apr 29 by JakeITFC

Have they even got a Twitter account? If not, how could they have done anything on this
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 17:44 - Apr 29 with 2725 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Jong-Un is a straight murderer so that’s unlikely
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 18:01 - Apr 29 with 2683 viewsFtnfwest

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 17:44 - Apr 29 by FrowsyArmLarry

Jong-Un is a straight murderer so that’s unlikely

Including a number of family members
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 18:13 - Apr 29 with 2657 viewsOxford_Blue

So far nothing of note has been achieved.

Don’t be fooled by glad handing.

When NK disarms its nuclear programme then, yes, I would agree.
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 18:34 - Apr 29 with 2640 viewsLord_Lucan

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 18:13 - Apr 29 by Oxford_Blue

So far nothing of note has been achieved.

Don’t be fooled by glad handing.

When NK disarms its nuclear programme then, yes, I would agree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/world/asia/north-korea-trump-nuclear.html

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 18:38 - Apr 29 with 2635 viewsBloomBlue

Yes although he got them talking by threatening to wipe N Korea off the face of the earth so I'm sure he won't get it.
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 19:03 - Apr 29 with 2587 viewsconnorscontract

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 18:38 - Apr 29 by BloomBlue

Yes although he got them talking by threatening to wipe N Korea off the face of the earth so I'm sure he won't get it.

No he didn't.

North Korea is bankrupt and near to famine. Sanctions have crippled their economy.

China has been more important than the US, in bringing N Korea to the table, as they have actually had diplomatic missions over recent months addressing the nuclear tests.

Moon's election and his policy of actively seeking restored relations has been the catalyst.

It will take a very long time for everything to come out, but my hunch is that Kim's purge of his Uncle was a wiping out of the Old Guard, and that he was seeking a new approach all along.

Trump has done very little. His inflammatory tweets were more about playing to his base at home than a genuine strategic approach to N Korea.

In my opinion he has lucked out: he has maintained a "strong" position whilst others have done the work which has made a deal possible.

However, until there is the beginning of movement of people across the border, nothing is solved and talk of Nobel prizes are premature.
Login to get fewer ads

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 19:08 - Apr 29 with 2581 viewsLord_Lucan

Kim Jong - Wrong Un

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 19:10 - Apr 29 with 2577 viewsDarth_Koont

Preferably the Darwin Award.

Pronouns: He/Him

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 19:38 - Apr 29 with 2534 viewsBloomBlue

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 19:03 - Apr 29 by connorscontract

No he didn't.

North Korea is bankrupt and near to famine. Sanctions have crippled their economy.

China has been more important than the US, in bringing N Korea to the table, as they have actually had diplomatic missions over recent months addressing the nuclear tests.

Moon's election and his policy of actively seeking restored relations has been the catalyst.

It will take a very long time for everything to come out, but my hunch is that Kim's purge of his Uncle was a wiping out of the Old Guard, and that he was seeking a new approach all along.

Trump has done very little. His inflammatory tweets were more about playing to his base at home than a genuine strategic approach to N Korea.

In my opinion he has lucked out: he has maintained a "strong" position whilst others have done the work which has made a deal possible.

However, until there is the beginning of movement of people across the border, nothing is solved and talk of Nobel prizes are premature.

No you're wrong he shat himself when Trump threatened him and now he wants to talk peace. It's like the bully at school always wants to be seen as tough kid and then along comes another kid and thumps him one and suddenly he stops being a bully.
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 20:40 - Apr 29 with 2470 viewsconnorscontract

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 19:38 - Apr 29 by BloomBlue

No you're wrong he shat himself when Trump threatened him and now he wants to talk peace. It's like the bully at school always wants to be seen as tough kid and then along comes another kid and thumps him one and suddenly he stops being a bully.

No. He didn't. He's not stupid. Never underestimate your opponent.

He has come to the table now that his nuclear capability has been demonstrated (underground tests of nuclear devices picked up by international monitoring organisations and delivery systems (rockets) demonstrated over various ranges).

Having demonstrated the capability to cause significant damage outside the Korean peninsula he has a degree of leverage and strength, even though the international community knows how hard sanctions are biting.

Trump's tweets have been of minimal significance compared to the backdoor diplomacy of the Chinese and the front door policy of President Moon of South Korea.

Trump has at best played "bad cop" in a multifaceted approach, but the Chinese have made it pretty clear that his tweets weren't helping and were counter-productive.

China and South Korea are the big winners here. The reconstruction of North Korea will be a massive project over the medium to long-term, and they are the two countries who are on the front row of the grid to win all of the work.

The Koreans (North and South) dislike the Japanese and the North has treated the USA as enemy number one for 60+ years.

Russia has a small land border with North Korea but doesn't have the industrial capacity in the right location to become the major player. China (heavy industry and civil engineering) and South Korea (automotive, electronics, shipping etc) do.

This really isn't about the USA. They are needed only in so far as they have to also sign a Peace treaty ending the Korean War (as do China).

I expect to see a big friendship move between South Korea and China in the next couple of months.

Long term I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a realignment in the region: Japan, Taiwan and USA as one bloc and China having increasing influence with South Korea. We'll see.
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 20:50 - Apr 29 with 2460 viewsJohnTy

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 20:40 - Apr 29 by connorscontract

No. He didn't. He's not stupid. Never underestimate your opponent.

He has come to the table now that his nuclear capability has been demonstrated (underground tests of nuclear devices picked up by international monitoring organisations and delivery systems (rockets) demonstrated over various ranges).

Having demonstrated the capability to cause significant damage outside the Korean peninsula he has a degree of leverage and strength, even though the international community knows how hard sanctions are biting.

Trump's tweets have been of minimal significance compared to the backdoor diplomacy of the Chinese and the front door policy of President Moon of South Korea.

Trump has at best played "bad cop" in a multifaceted approach, but the Chinese have made it pretty clear that his tweets weren't helping and were counter-productive.

China and South Korea are the big winners here. The reconstruction of North Korea will be a massive project over the medium to long-term, and they are the two countries who are on the front row of the grid to win all of the work.

The Koreans (North and South) dislike the Japanese and the North has treated the USA as enemy number one for 60+ years.

Russia has a small land border with North Korea but doesn't have the industrial capacity in the right location to become the major player. China (heavy industry and civil engineering) and South Korea (automotive, electronics, shipping etc) do.

This really isn't about the USA. They are needed only in so far as they have to also sign a Peace treaty ending the Korean War (as do China).

I expect to see a big friendship move between South Korea and China in the next couple of months.

Long term I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a realignment in the region: Japan, Taiwan and USA as one bloc and China having increasing influence with South Korea. We'll see.

The North Koreans have been seeking a top level meeting with the US for many years, but it has in the past been seen as a step too far, giving a "rogue" regime respectability. It would have been near impossible for a Democrat President to do it. Fox News and the Republicans would have been filling the air waves with talk of appeasement and Neville Chamberlain. In this sense it is very similar to Nixon's rapprochement with China, which for over 20 years was not recognised by the U.S. In those days every patriotic American thought that Formosa was China.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 20:51]
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 21:02 - Apr 29 with 2435 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

No he didn't.

I read this week that the North Koreans can’t do any more nuclear tests because the site they use has collapsed (+ they don’t have much money, not helped by bumping off Un’s half bro)

That’s also got something to do with it. Trump has played his part though
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 21:03 - Apr 29 with 2435 viewsconnorscontract

Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 20:50 - Apr 29 by JohnTy

The North Koreans have been seeking a top level meeting with the US for many years, but it has in the past been seen as a step too far, giving a "rogue" regime respectability. It would have been near impossible for a Democrat President to do it. Fox News and the Republicans would have been filling the air waves with talk of appeasement and Neville Chamberlain. In this sense it is very similar to Nixon's rapprochement with China, which for over 20 years was not recognised by the U.S. In those days every patriotic American thought that Formosa was China.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 20:51]

I agree. My point is that it is China and South Korea's moves in recent months, coupled with the effects of sanctions on North Korea, and North Korea's ability to demonstrate nuclear capability, which have led to the recent progress, not Trump's "I've got a bigger button than Little Rocket Man" tweets.

For a Peace treaty to be signed, North and South Korea, as the primary parties, and China (and I think Russia, though I'm not entirely sure on that) and the USA as the global powers who fought each other by proxy, have to sign the Treaty. So Trump will get his day in the limelight and will be able to present this as a victory for his "tough, no-one is tougher than me" diplomacy.
Donald Trump. Nobel peace prize maybe? on 05:30 - Apr 30 with 2336 viewsBloomBlue

No he didn't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024