Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
12:50 - Nov 29 with 2566 views_

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 12:52 - Nov 29 with 2536 viewsSuperblue95

I would imagine the dad is just looking for someone to blame. Can't imagine the grief he's going through

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

on 12:53 - Nov 29 with 2517 views_

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 12:52 - Nov 29 by Superblue95

I would imagine the dad is just looking for someone to blame. Can't imagine the grief he's going through

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:04 - Nov 29 with 2464 viewsReuser_is_God

That's just the way it is nowadays isn't it?

A blame culture.

But yes, terribly sad & hopefully this is a case of the father being all over the place mentally, which is totally understandable.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:15 - Nov 29 with 2408 viewsTIB

There has to be some responsibility for sure but most folk, especially at that age and in such an environment, probably don't realise what excessive alcohol consumption has the power to do, such as this...most I think just envisage vomiting, not brain damage and death. This you'd hope would act as a wake up call.

I know two lads in the rugby team at uni with me got banned the year after I left due to the severity of the initiations they gave some freshers...there is just a real competition between some societies where they want to one up each other and it always comes down to initiations like this.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

on 13:18 - Nov 29 with 2391 views_

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:15 - Nov 29 by TIB

There has to be some responsibility for sure but most folk, especially at that age and in such an environment, probably don't realise what excessive alcohol consumption has the power to do, such as this...most I think just envisage vomiting, not brain damage and death. This you'd hope would act as a wake up call.

I know two lads in the rugby team at uni with me got banned the year after I left due to the severity of the initiations they gave some freshers...there is just a real competition between some societies where they want to one up each other and it always comes down to initiations like this.

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:18 - Nov 29 with 2391 viewslowhouseblue

doesn't the word 'coercive' explain the comment?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

on 13:21 - Nov 29 with 2367 views_

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:18 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

doesn't the word 'coercive' explain the comment?

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:21 - Nov 29 with 2360 viewsyorkshire

It's 100% nothing to do with the university - we all did stupid stuff when we went there and we believed back then that we were invincible

This is just a sad case all round and I feel for the father but his son was an adult and made his own choices
Login to get fewer ads

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:24 - Nov 29 with 2346 viewslowhouseblue

on 13:21 - Nov 29 by _

yes. but if people are pressurised into doing things which they wouldn't otherwise do - and they do it to fit in, or because of peer pressure, or to join the gang - then the people doing the coercing also have responsibility. I can see why the father wants to raise the issue of the culture / behaviour which leads people to set up such initiations and to egg others on even when their judgement has already been drowned.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

on 13:27 - Nov 29 with 2315 views_

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:24 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

yes. but if people are pressurised into doing things which they wouldn't otherwise do - and they do it to fit in, or because of peer pressure, or to join the gang - then the people doing the coercing also have responsibility. I can see why the father wants to raise the issue of the culture / behaviour which leads people to set up such initiations and to egg others on even when their judgement has already been drowned.

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 13:31 - Nov 29 with 2280 viewslowhouseblue

on 13:27 - Nov 29 by _

absolutely - an awful and stupid thing to do. but we all have a duty of care to others, and if there are people who set up the event and encouraged / enabled him to put his health and life at risk and egged him on to go further when he didn't know what he was doing (I don't know if that's the case or not) they share some responsibility. I am certain that if there are individuals who did that they are more than aware of their responsibility and it will be weighing very heavily on them.

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 15:00 - Nov 29 with 2139 viewsSuperfrans

It's awful and the father is clearly looking for any explanation for what happened.

For me, this is just criminal if true. This shouldn't be legal. It's just incredibly dangerous.

"Mr Farmer said for £30 the freshers were able to buy more than 50 shots each."

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 15:12 - Nov 29 with 2100 viewsitfcjoe

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 15:00 - Nov 29 by Superfrans

It's awful and the father is clearly looking for any explanation for what happened.

For me, this is just criminal if true. This shouldn't be legal. It's just incredibly dangerous.

"Mr Farmer said for £30 the freshers were able to buy more than 50 shots each."

Doesn't surprise me - when I was at uni on Monday nights in Jesters we could get Quad-Vods for £2.

Pint of snakebite was 70p on a Monday. But in my hall bar they were £1 in Happy Hour and £1.20 outside of Happy Hour - this was this Millennium too not in the 70s!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 19:09 - Nov 29 with 1925 viewsronnyd

Sadly, we are now in an era when everything is always someone elses fault. Network Rail are spending millions installing monstrosities like the new footbridge on the Bury St. Eds. to Thurston cycle way. This is to stop someone who isn,t aware that trains are dangerous things and they need to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Thinking for yourself now seems to be a thing of the past. It,s very sad that a Dad has lost his son so tragically but people should always be aware of their actions. The sad case of Corrie bears testament to that.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2018 20:56]
Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 20:36 - Nov 29 with 1836 viewsJ4ck22

I didn't even realise they were banned, because most societies at my uni still do bizarre initiations and hazing rituals. It must feel like a lot of pressure on some people who are just trying to make friends and don't realise how much they're drinking just to be accepted by a group of people.
Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 20:43 - Nov 29 with 1810 viewsMelford

I remember the student union on a Wednesday night with the sports teams in. I played football and cricket at the lowest level and we'd have a few drinks but the rugby lot were something else, downing pints otherwise they get forfeits, ending up with at least a couple of them naked. I remember one where a bloke was lying on the floor with a tube in his mouth leading up to a funnel and they were chucking shots and pints down there, one bloke pissed in a pint glass and tipped it down the tube and the bloke was still gulping away.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 21:02 - Nov 29 with 1742 viewsSwansea_Blue

Awfully sad that this young man passed away... on 20:43 - Nov 29 by Melford

I remember the student union on a Wednesday night with the sports teams in. I played football and cricket at the lowest level and we'd have a few drinks but the rugby lot were something else, downing pints otherwise they get forfeits, ending up with at least a couple of them naked. I remember one where a bloke was lying on the floor with a tube in his mouth leading up to a funnel and they were chucking shots and pints down there, one bloke pissed in a pint glass and tipped it down the tube and the bloke was still gulping away.

I was going to mention Wednesdays. It’s not unique to initiation ceremonies for sure.

There is more universities could do. Student union bars are very lax about policing excessive drunkenness. I’m not sure I’ve seen a campaign warning students of the risks either.

A mix of raising awareness, stricter policing and helping develop personal responsibility (just say no kids) is probably the answer. Not easy though while we’re largely a society fuelled by booze.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024