Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bolton latest 16:49 - Apr 11 with 2158 viewsRoberds

I had sort of lost interest in their financial situation after we played them, but just looked up the latest and if anything it's gotten worse for them.

The takeover by Bassini that was "nearly complete" has gone silent, players still not paid and able to walk away from their contracts from Sunday, fans having to pay for official travel directly with the coach provider, and the PFA have been unable to speak to the owner who is presumed to be abroad.

Their problems are being mirrored along the A58 at Bury, whose players are also still unpaid for March.

There is a very real chance that at least one of those clubs will not exist next season.

I know Evans is far from the owner we would choose in an ideal world, but it does make you realise things could actually be a lot worse. At least we know we will have a club to support next season.
Bolton latest on 16:51 - Apr 11 with 2129 viewsMullet

Of course it could be worse, but not being Bolton, Bury, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Charlton et al. isn't exactly a great endorsement either. Especially given where he's taken us in his time here.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bolton latest on 16:54 - Apr 11 with 2111 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

BCWYWF

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Bolton latest on 16:58 - Apr 11 with 2080 viewsJ2BLUE

I hope they both survive. Hate to see any club go under. Although a nice points deduction for next season for Bolton would be nice...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bolton latest on 17:21 - Apr 11 with 1994 viewsPJH

I expect that at their next High Court appearance Anderson will say via a Solicitor that he expects the sale to go through withing 48 hours-that usually works.
Bolton latest on 17:22 - Apr 11 with 1997 viewsFtnfwest

Bolton latest on 16:51 - Apr 11 by Mullet

Of course it could be worse, but not being Bolton, Bury, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Charlton et al. isn't exactly a great endorsement either. Especially given where he's taken us in his time here.

From waiting to be relegated to actually relegated in 11 years I guess. My issue with him is not so much the lack of investment but the poor choices at exec level etc. It's either a stooge with no footballing experience or evidently himself. This O'Neill guy may buck the trend in time but there's never any innovation on or off the field as a way to make up for that investment shortfall.
Management appointments have also been largely poor or out of necessity ones that aim at a series of successive short term fixes.
Bolton latest on 17:30 - Apr 11 with 1946 viewsSuperblue95

Bury are seemingly constantly in financial bother. Joke of a club

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Bolton latest on 17:52 - Apr 11 with 1866 viewsbraveblue

Give Evans a couple more years and it could be us.
Bolton latest on 17:52 - Apr 11 with 1866 viewsSwansea_Blue

I haven’t got much sympathy for the players. There’s plenty of money coming in to Championship clubs, but it’s the ridiculous wage demands of players and their agents that are causing clubs to get into trouble. It’s the backroom and administrative staff I feel sorry for. They’ll be local people, many on low wages, who’ll be relying on their monthly pay packet.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Bolton latest on 18:57 - Apr 11 with 1751 viewsNBVJohn

Bolton latest on 17:22 - Apr 11 by Ftnfwest

From waiting to be relegated to actually relegated in 11 years I guess. My issue with him is not so much the lack of investment but the poor choices at exec level etc. It's either a stooge with no footballing experience or evidently himself. This O'Neill guy may buck the trend in time but there's never any innovation on or off the field as a way to make up for that investment shortfall.
Management appointments have also been largely poor or out of necessity ones that aim at a series of successive short term fixes.

Ftnfwest,

Thank you for beautifully paraphrasing what I have been trying to articulate for sometime.

I get what appears and could well actually be a lack of investment, but poor choices are what’s really turned us into the basket case we currently are. From a football perspective all recruits have been disastrous with the exception of MM, who’s short termism was the perfect subterfuge. Let’s also not forget how divisive he was.It is however unfair to judge PL yet, but it doesn’t stop at managers; Clegg was awful and Milne was like a bad joke gone wrong.

Whilst the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield and even Brentford were getting their act together on small budgets we were busy hiking prices, selling talent and collecting journeymen on short contracts or loans whilst hiding behind the smokescreen of a half-arsed 5 point plan because it sounded good.

I love the idea of our reunified club - if we get off to a flyer next season it could even become a reality. The problem is, what happens if our start is indifferent, the catalogue of injuries continues and our strikers still can’t score?

I have read an awful lot on here about our lack of luck and to an extent I’m inclined to agree, but we have to make fundamental changes to the club to buck this down ward trend.

I am not convinced that the infrastructure, imagination and determination exists to make this happen. I have high hopes for PL’s abilities- but he needs to bring the necessary changes to the culture. The best of luck with that.
Bolton latest on 20:36 - Apr 11 with 1607 viewsFtnfwest

Bolton latest on 18:57 - Apr 11 by NBVJohn

Ftnfwest,

Thank you for beautifully paraphrasing what I have been trying to articulate for sometime.

I get what appears and could well actually be a lack of investment, but poor choices are what’s really turned us into the basket case we currently are. From a football perspective all recruits have been disastrous with the exception of MM, who’s short termism was the perfect subterfuge. Let’s also not forget how divisive he was.It is however unfair to judge PL yet, but it doesn’t stop at managers; Clegg was awful and Milne was like a bad joke gone wrong.

Whilst the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield and even Brentford were getting their act together on small budgets we were busy hiking prices, selling talent and collecting journeymen on short contracts or loans whilst hiding behind the smokescreen of a half-arsed 5 point plan because it sounded good.

I love the idea of our reunified club - if we get off to a flyer next season it could even become a reality. The problem is, what happens if our start is indifferent, the catalogue of injuries continues and our strikers still can’t score?

I have read an awful lot on here about our lack of luck and to an extent I’m inclined to agree, but we have to make fundamental changes to the club to buck this down ward trend.

I am not convinced that the infrastructure, imagination and determination exists to make this happen. I have high hopes for PL’s abilities- but he needs to bring the necessary changes to the culture. The best of luck with that.

A year ago I felt, and still do, that despite the job mick had done up to that point there was no real forward look despite the daft 5 year plan you mentioned. He was able to hide behind the lack of funds issue quite a bit but what always annoyed me about that was that Marcus reportedly actually backed him when he identified a target. It was just that he (Evans) had no flexibility in terms of negotiating, and the fact he seemed to be involved himself well... The other failing for years seems to be scouting. Other than what serves as the short termism of moving on people like Waghorn etc who was an exception really because of the money made on him (which wasn’t really reinvested or certainly not wisely) we don’t seem to bring young promising players in much from elsewhere. Most of them are ‘proven’ has beens, a bit like Marcus’ managers.
Bolton latest on 21:20 - Apr 11 with 1504 viewstetchris

Jim white said on talksport this morning that the current owner Ken Anderson and the prospective new owner Laurence Bassini aren’t talking to each other after having a falling out but representatives from both sides were having talks today regarding the takeover
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024