Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Isle of Man TT 19:03 - Jun 4 with 2831 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another rider died yesterday. Seems that 3-4 people die per year.

I guess its personal choice, but I dont know how people can put themselves / family at risk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities

Astonishing list.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Isle of Man TT on 19:11 - Jun 4 with 2294 viewsSpruceMoose

It's a dangerous job like any other I guess. They aren't alone in choosing a profession where your life is at serious risk. I can only assume that they have made their peace with that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Isle of Man TT on 19:18 - Jun 4 with 2281 viewsTIB

Saw a friend post about this earlier...he's been a biker since a youngster with it running in his family and them going to TT most years. I'm actually presently doing my Direct Access to ride and got to go out on a 600cc at the weekend and 70mph felt mental...can't imagine doing the speeds they do at the TT!!!

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Isle of Man TT on 19:24 - Jun 4 with 2260 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Isle of Man TT on 19:11 - Jun 4 by SpruceMoose

It's a dangerous job like any other I guess. They aren't alone in choosing a profession where your life is at serious risk. I can only assume that they have made their peace with that.

Most are amateurs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Isle of Man TT on 19:25 - Jun 4 with 2263 viewsSporall

Isle of Man TT on 19:18 - Jun 4 by TIB

Saw a friend post about this earlier...he's been a biker since a youngster with it running in his family and them going to TT most years. I'm actually presently doing my Direct Access to ride and got to go out on a 600cc at the weekend and 70mph felt mental...can't imagine doing the speeds they do at the TT!!!

I remember my first ever ride, 45mph or so was scary! I struggled to keep up with the instructor
Isle of Man TT on 19:27 - Jun 4 with 2251 viewsSpruceMoose

Isle of Man TT on 19:24 - Jun 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Most are amateurs.

They don't even get paid for killing themselves? Must be doing it for the love of it then.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Isle of Man TT on 19:34 - Jun 4 with 2225 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Isle of Man TT on 19:24 - Jun 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Most are amateurs.

Not sure that’s true? They had a day called mad Sunday where anyone can go and ride the course - and whilst some will open up this is nowhere near the speeds travelled by the racers. For the racers themselves riders are experienced racers and generally semi professional at least I think (some no doubt work normal jobs but to be expected given the limited income available from biking)?

You may be confused with the Manx GP

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Isle of Man TT on 22:50 - Jun 4 with 2119 viewsRadlett_blue

Isle of Man TT on 19:34 - Jun 4 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not sure that’s true? They had a day called mad Sunday where anyone can go and ride the course - and whilst some will open up this is nowhere near the speeds travelled by the racers. For the racers themselves riders are experienced racers and generally semi professional at least I think (some no doubt work normal jobs but to be expected given the limited income available from biking)?

You may be confused with the Manx GP

Hmm..while I am no expert on bike racing, I reckon most of the IoM TT racers are the equivalent of semi pro or low end professionals for whom the thrill of riding a bike at 100mph+ around a dangerous circuit is almost as important as what they might earn.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Isle of Man TT on 22:53 - Jun 4 with 2109 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Isle of Man TT on 22:50 - Jun 4 by Radlett_blue

Hmm..while I am no expert on bike racing, I reckon most of the IoM TT racers are the equivalent of semi pro or low end professionals for whom the thrill of riding a bike at 100mph+ around a dangerous circuit is almost as important as what they might earn.

Would agree with that - but that would be the case with any bike competitions outside of the main MotoGP and Superbike championships I assume, and competitors in those will have started out for the thrill too

Login to get fewer ads

Isle of Man TT on 22:58 - Jun 4 with 2108 viewssparks

Isle of Man TT on 22:50 - Jun 4 by Radlett_blue

Should this really continue to be allowed?

Think of the impact on medical services, medical staff, and even onlookers who witness horrific accidents and fatal injuries.

We have rules about wearing seatbelts and helmets to protect people from their own instincts not to take safety precautions, but we allow this. Difficult to logically justify.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Isle of Man TT on 23:10 - Jun 4 with 2091 viewsRyorry

I was thinking the same about all the mountaineers who died on the Himalayas in the past couple of weeks - 8 in the recent avalanche, & several more on Everest.

Their choice. I do feel for their families though.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Isle of Man TT on 23:15 - Jun 4 with 2080 viewsJamestownPrince

I'm an ex biker, but considering getting a 500cc again

I go to the Isle of Man every year .... to play in the International Darts , even going by Flybe is safer than the TT!
Isle of Man TT on 23:16 - Jun 4 with 2076 viewsRyorry

Isle of Man TT on 19:25 - Jun 4 by Sporall

I remember my first ever ride, 45mph or so was scary! I struggled to keep up with the instructor

Friend of my ex's took me on a spin round some narrow Cornish country lanes on his Bucati while we were still on honeymoon - terrifying and thrilling in equal measure - can't have been doing more than about 50-60, but on those blind bends it felt like 100 - I remember thinking "this marriage could be over very quickly indeed ..."!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Isle of Man TT on 06:19 - Jun 5 with 1969 viewsBenters2

Coming from a family who have had many motorbikes over the years(my brother now has a couple of vintage motorbikes) my love was scrambling (not eggs J2) If its in you to want to do that kind of thing the buzz you get is worth the risk.

Even now when i go out on my vintage racing push bike the thrill of going down hill at over 30mph is ace.
Isle of Man TT on 06:40 - Jun 5 with 1953 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Isle of Man TT on 22:58 - Jun 4 by sparks

Think of the impact on medical services, medical staff, and even onlookers who witness horrific accidents and fatal injuries.

We have rules about wearing seatbelts and helmets to protect people from their own instincts not to take safety precautions, but we allow this. Difficult to logically justify.

If people want to race then that is up to them, you can’t keep banning everything, where would we stop, no horse riding, no sky diving, no diving, no boxing tj list goes on. We all take risk in lives and should be responsible for our own outcomes. Although I think it is selfish to ride there if they have a family, as the chances are quite high.
Isle of Man TT on 08:05 - Jun 5 with 1894 viewsbluelagos

Personal choice indeed.

Biking is fun, like nothing I've ever done. We all know the risks (x40 more likely to die than car drivers) and we all make our own decisions of where/when and how we ride.

TT races are an opportunity to see professionals up close. Many of the fatalities often occur on the middle Sunday when the mountain road is one way, and is open to all viditors with no speed limits. It is essentially like a track day but on public roads. They are putting no one at risk other than themsleves.

I would argue that track days (and the TT) allow bikers to 'get it out of their system' and to then ride much more sedately, in control, safely when they encounter you all on your Sunday bimbles.

Many is the time I've said to over enthusiastic (speeding) bikers to 'save it for the track'. I'd argue that banning such opportunities would increase, not decrease fatalities.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Isle of Man TT on 08:15 - Jun 5 with 1872 viewsbluelagos

Isle of Man TT on 23:10 - Jun 4 by Ryorry

I was thinking the same about all the mountaineers who died on the Himalayas in the past couple of weeks - 8 in the recent avalanche, & several more on Everest.

Their choice. I do feel for their families though.

Yet no one is suggesting banning mountaineering...

Isle of Man TT on 08:18 - Jun 5 with 1867 viewsbluelagos

Isle of Man TT on 19:18 - Jun 4 by TIB

Give it a couple of years then go for advanced training would be my advice. Suffolk advanced motorcyclists are Ipswich based and a very respected group.

Pm if you want more details, any advice. Good luck and ride safe.

Isle of Man TT on 08:21 - Jun 5 with 1861 viewsbluelagos

Extending your argument and you would ban (limit) all bikes and cars to 70 mph. You would (in a few years) ban driving and have driverless cars doing it all for you.

The logic, is that there's more to life than logic.

Isle of Man TT on 08:30 - Jun 5 with 1844 viewsBiGDonnie

I used to supply Nobles Hospital (IOM Hospital) with nursing staff all year round. It would get to a month before the TT races started and they would ask for an extra 10 A&E nurses and 10 ICU Nurses. Happy days for me, but seriously ridiculous that it's allowed to happen with the amount of deaths over the years.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Isle of Man TT on 08:42 - Jun 5 with 1802 viewsNo9

TT, Mountaineering etc. etc. isn't the simple question 'Why do humans like to take risks'?

At least the TT riders are mainly putting themselves and other riders in danger - mountaineering puts many others in danger.
Isle of Man TT on 09:17 - Jun 5 with 1766 viewsbluelagos

Isle of Man TT on 08:42 - Jun 5 by No9

TT, Mountaineering etc. etc. isn't the simple question 'Why do humans like to take risks'?

At least the TT riders are mainly putting themselves and other riders in danger - mountaineering puts many others in danger.

Why do we take risks? Cos we judge the benefits outweigh the risk. Or none of us would ever get on a airplane, sit in a car etc.

Need and/or inquisitiveness too. We'd probably still be living in caves if someone hadn't wondered what it was like over that hill, across that river, over that sea...

Exploring, trying new things, new experiences, enjoying yourself, pushing yourself, all parts of human nature.

[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 9:23]

Isle of Man TT on 09:21 - Jun 5 with 1754 viewsTIB

Isle of Man TT on 08:42 - Jun 5 by No9

'Why do humans like to take risks'? All down to different mindsets I think. I couldn't imagine a life without taking risk / taking yourself out your comfort zone, admittedly some folk take bigger risks than others though...such as Alex Honnold. King of Free Soloing (climbing).

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Isle of Man TT on 09:29 - Jun 5 with 1742 viewsbluelagos

Isle of Man TT on 09:21 - Jun 5 by TIB

'Why do humans like to take risks'? All down to different mindsets I think. I couldn't imagine a life without taking risk / taking yourself out your comfort zone, admittedly some folk take bigger risks than others though...such as Alex Honnold. King of Free Soloing (climbing).

Spot on. Some people love to climb, some love to ride, some play guitair or read poetry to strangers in the pub.

Wouldn't life be dull if we were all the same :-)

Isle of Man TT on 09:42 - Jun 5 with 1723 viewsNo9

Isle of Man TT on 09:29 - Jun 5 by bluelagos

Spot on. Some people love to climb, some love to ride, some play guitair or read poetry to strangers in the pub.

Wouldn't life be dull if we were all the same :-)

To both you & TIB, I understand the facts and the need.
Maybe I have done some of this stuff - haven't we all?
Isle of Man TT on 09:45 - Jun 5 with 1716 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Isle of Man TT on 08:30 - Jun 5 by BiGDonnie

I used to supply Nobles Hospital (IOM Hospital) with nursing staff all year round. It would get to a month before the TT races started and they would ask for an extra 10 A&E nurses and 10 ICU Nurses. Happy days for me, but seriously ridiculous that it's allowed to happen with the amount of deaths over the years.

Out of interest how was that paid for? Was going to make the point to Bully that the IOM itself does very well out of the TT in terms of tourism, which I expect far exceeds the additional medical costs - but not sure if that’s really relevant or not though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024