Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why did America not get a red? 21:59 - Jul 2 with 6337 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The whole double jeopardy rule was supposed to protect players from preventing a goal scoring opportunity when making a genuine attempt to play the ball.

She didn’t try to play the ball.

Is the rule therefore only that a red is given if it’s a deliberate foul rather than accidental?

As I’ve now seen both interpretations. Seen reds given with pens for accidental clashes like that.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why did America not get a red? on 22:01 - Jul 2 with 2894 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It didn't look like a pen, let alone a red card.

I don't think we can really complain.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why did America not get a red? on 22:04 - Jul 2 with 2870 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Why did America not get a red? on 22:01 - Jul 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

It didn't look like a pen, let alone a red card.

I don't think we can really complain.

It was a penalty.

As she went to tap it in the other player caught the back of her leg which stopped her scoring.

Not sure how anyone can see the angle from behind the players and not think it’s a penalty.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why did America not get a red? on 22:04 - Jul 2 with 2857 viewsSuperblue95

She didn’t try to play the ball but she didn’t try to deny the goal scoring opportunity either.

She just ever so slightly grazed her heel as she ran behind. White then made a meal out of it

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Why did America not get a red? on 22:07 - Jul 2 with 2833 viewsDarth_Koont

Why did America not get a red? on 22:04 - Jul 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It was a penalty.

As she went to tap it in the other player caught the back of her leg which stopped her scoring.

Not sure how anyone can see the angle from behind the players and not think it’s a penalty.

Indeed. Definite pen.

But unfortunately followed by one of the worst penalties kicks. No disguise, pace or direction at all.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why did America not get a red? on 22:08 - Jul 2 with 2817 viewsGlasgowBlue

It was a penalty.

For instances like that football should have something like Rugby does with a penalty try. Same with handball on the line.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why did America not get a red? on 22:08 - Jul 2 with 2816 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It was a penalty.

Will agree to differ on that, I don't think it was a pen.

If a ref has to take 5 mins and 50 replays, I don't think they are sure either.

I think VAR should be limited to 30 seconds decision time.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why did America not get a red? on 22:10 - Jul 2 with 2792 viewsDarth_Koont

Why did America not get a red? on 22:08 - Jul 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Will agree to differ on that, I don't think it was a pen.

If a ref has to take 5 mins and 50 replays, I don't think they are sure either.

I think VAR should be limited to 30 seconds decision time.

No. From the angle behind, It was absolutely clear the defender clipped her striking foot.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:10 - Jul 2 with 2801 viewsTractorCam

This thread is the perfect example of VAR being terrible. Var has been brought in to prevent 'clear and obvious fouls/decisions' being missed. The reaction to that penalty is very mixed, therefore not a clear and obvious penalty.

Once the referee has gone over to the screen and viewed it at least 3 times, if she isn't decisive then that should be that, she sticks with her initial decision.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Login to get fewer ads

Why did America not get a red? on 22:10 - Jul 2 with 2787 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why did America not get a red? on 22:10 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

No. From the angle behind, It was absolutely clear the defender clipped her striking foot.

Like I say, happy to agree to differ.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:16 - Jul 2 with 2745 viewsDarth_Koont

Why did America not get a red? on 22:10 - Jul 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Like I say, happy to agree to differ.

If you can show me the view where she doesn't clip her striking foot then we cn agree to differ.

FFS I'm a Scot!!!! I'd love it if England was denied a penalty.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:18 - Jul 2 with 2737 viewsTractorCam

Why did America not get a red? on 22:16 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

If you can show me the view where she doesn't clip her striking foot then we cn agree to differ.

FFS I'm a Scot!!!! I'd love it if England was denied a penalty.

I'm English and don't think it was a penalty.

Clear controversy so the ref should just stick with her gut instinct, much less embarrassment that way.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:19 - Jul 2 with 2716 viewsDarth_Koont

Why did America not get a red? on 22:18 - Jul 2 by TractorCam

Clear controversy so the ref should just stick with her gut instinct, much less embarrassment that way.

You're only saying that because the penalty was shyte.

VAR played a blinder tonight.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:20 - Jul 2 with 2707 viewssparks

Why did America not get a red? on 22:18 - Jul 2 by TractorCam

Ref should change it if the angles she gets on telly cause her to do so. It was clear- not intentional but plainly impeded as about to strike the ball.

Not sure how anyone could suggest otherwise.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Why did America not get a red? on 22:21 - Jul 2 with 2694 viewsTractorCam

Why did America not get a red? on 22:19 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

You're only saying that because the penalty was shyte.

VAR played a blinder tonight.

You can check my twitter if you want, I posted my opinion as the review was being checked knowing it was going to get given.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:28 - Jul 2 with 2649 viewsDarth_Koont

Why did America not get a red? on 22:21 - Jul 2 by TractorCam

You can check my twitter if you want, I posted my opinion as the review was being checked knowing it was going to get given.

Twitter you say?

Well, let's forget the evidence of our own eyes then.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:35 - Jul 2 with 2625 viewssundaze

Why did America not get a red? on 22:10 - Jul 2 by TractorCam

This thread is the perfect example of VAR being terrible. Var has been brought in to prevent 'clear and obvious fouls/decisions' being missed. The reaction to that penalty is very mixed, therefore not a clear and obvious penalty.

Once the referee has gone over to the screen and viewed it at least 3 times, if she isn't decisive then that should be that, she sticks with her initial decision.

Good post. Every time a ref goes to look at the screen, we all know that the original decision will eventually be reversed.
I don't understand why the ref is asked to look at the screen, the VAR officials have already decided that the original decision should be reversed. It is a needless act that takes absolutely ages to finalise.
Why did America not get a red? on 22:38 - Jul 2 with 2593 viewsDarth_Koont

Why did America not get a red? on 22:35 - Jul 2 by sundaze

Good post. Every time a ref goes to look at the screen, we all know that the original decision will eventually be reversed.
I don't understand why the ref is asked to look at the screen, the VAR officials have already decided that the original decision should be reversed. It is a needless act that takes absolutely ages to finalise.

Tonight both decisions took place on the field IIRC. And neither took a long time or disrupted play.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:40 - Jul 2 with 2590 viewsSuffolktractor

Why did America not get a red? on 22:35 - Jul 2 by sundaze

Watching the game in real time, to me it was a clear penalty as soon as it happened. So at least with VAR the correct decision was made, but the defender by fouling Ellen White stopped her scoring a simple tap in so surely that is a straight red card? Why on earth was it only a yellow?
Why did America not get a red? on 22:41 - Jul 2 with 2587 viewsronnyd

Must say that i thought that decision was a bit soft. Don,t think England deserved to win, USA too savvy for our players and some didn,t perform.
Why did America not get a red? on 22:44 - Jul 2 with 2572 viewsSuffolktractor

Why did America not get a red? on 22:41 - Jul 2 by ronnyd

Must say that i thought that decision was a bit soft. Don,t think England deserved to win, USA too savvy for our players and some didn,t perform.

Agree that USA were too streetwise for us, but not sure how you can call it soft when our striker is about to tap the ball into the net for the equalising goal.
Why did America not get a red? on 22:46 - Jul 2 with 2551 viewssparks

Why did America not get a red? on 22:44 - Jul 2 by Suffolktractor

Agree that USA were too streetwise for us, but not sure how you can call it soft when our striker is about to tap the ball into the net for the equalising goal.

There was some streetwise stuff- but at the end of the day the difference between the sides was half an inch of toe, and a poor penalty.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Why did America not get a red? on 22:46 - Jul 2 with 2550 viewsronnyd

Minimal contact for me. Still, the joys of debate.
Why did America not get a red? on 22:48 - Jul 2 with 2539 viewssparks

Why did America not get a red? on 22:46 - Jul 2 by ronnyd

Minimal contact for me. Still, the joys of debate.

Why are people obsessed with contact? Contact is not a foul. Impeding is a foul. On this occasion, there was clear impeding- there can be little doubt the ball is being slotted into the net but for the contact.

Why did America not get a red? on 22:54 - Jul 2 with 2517 viewsronnyd

Why did America not get a red? on 22:48 - Jul 2 by sparks

Why are people obsessed with contact? Contact is not a foul. Impeding is a foul. On this occasion, there was clear impeding- there can be little doubt the ball is being slotted into the net but for the contact.

Sorry, still nay from me.
Why did America not get a red? on 22:54 - Jul 2 with 2514 viewsGirthyguy

In all fairness that's all if buts and maybe. You don't know if she had hit the ball it was definitely going in. But definite penalty. The thing I don't understand is why she didn't take the penalty herself she's been on fire. Absurd
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024