Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Garbutt 09:14 - Sep 18 with 2074 viewsitfcjoe

Doesn't look like the answer at left back for me - - can't/doesn't compete at all in the air and doesn't have that quick enough first step to stop people getting past him.

Positionally was ok, but looked a downgrade on Kenlock to me.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Luke Garbutt on 09:19 - Sep 18 with 2028 viewsKieran_Knows

Agreed, thought he looked rather poor. Much better further forward.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Luke Garbutt on 09:20 - Sep 18 with 2018 viewsSomethingBlue

Yeah, I'd tend to agree. MK had a fair bit of joy down his side in the second half. He does use the ball much better than Kenlock though — some really nice weighting on his passes in the first half.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Luke Garbutt on 09:20 - Sep 18 with 2007 viewsLankHenners

And a bit of a waste not to have him at LM - in his brief appearances there has looked stronger in that position than Edwards/Rowe/Judge.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Luke Garbutt on 09:22 - Sep 18 with 1968 viewsfooters

Shame Knudsen left really.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Luke Garbutt on 09:24 - Sep 18 with 1958 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Watched him one point in the first half when the ball was on the other side. Not one look over the shoulder to see where their man was, ball watched the whole time.

I agree - not the answer as a full back defensively.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Luke Garbutt on 10:01 - Sep 18 with 1795 viewsclive_baker

I think it's important to remember he's been out a while, and just coming back. I fully expected him to be a little rusty but he's a much better footballer than Kenlock. I think in a side that's under a lot of pressure, perhaps as he was at a Oxford, he's more prone to struggle at left back because more of his game will be spent defending. I agree he's certainly more natural going forward, but I think he's the best option for us there at the moment. What he lacks defensively he more than makes up with when bombing on. Like yesterday, great to see him that far forward to pick up Nolan's poor header and recycle the ball to Huws which resulted in the winning goal. Lesser and more defensively minded full backs wouldn't have been there at all. If he was the complete left back he wouldn't be playing in League 1.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Luke Garbutt on 12:29 - Sep 18 with 1535 viewsKeaneish

Agreed. Didn't look to comfortable trying to go by people and settle crossing from deep, which is fine but a stark contrast from KVY.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Luke Garbutt on 12:45 - Sep 18 with 1462 viewsitfcjoe

Luke Garbutt on 10:01 - Sep 18 by clive_baker

I think it's important to remember he's been out a while, and just coming back. I fully expected him to be a little rusty but he's a much better footballer than Kenlock. I think in a side that's under a lot of pressure, perhaps as he was at a Oxford, he's more prone to struggle at left back because more of his game will be spent defending. I agree he's certainly more natural going forward, but I think he's the best option for us there at the moment. What he lacks defensively he more than makes up with when bombing on. Like yesterday, great to see him that far forward to pick up Nolan's poor header and recycle the ball to Huws which resulted in the winning goal. Lesser and more defensively minded full backs wouldn't have been there at all. If he was the complete left back he wouldn't be playing in League 1.

It's just he didn't do any of the basics of defending at any point in the game - the lack of presence when trying to win headers was a big issue. Smaller full backs can normally not do much more than make it difficult but he didn't even do that.

His man strolled past him a few times,with the obvious issue being that he has been injured and did very well to get through 90 minutes, his lack of the basis for a player that has played a lot of games there really worried me.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Garbutt on 12:49 - Sep 18 with 1421 viewsMrTown

Luke Garbutt on 12:45 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

It's just he didn't do any of the basics of defending at any point in the game - the lack of presence when trying to win headers was a big issue. Smaller full backs can normally not do much more than make it difficult but he didn't even do that.

His man strolled past him a few times,with the obvious issue being that he has been injured and did very well to get through 90 minutes, his lack of the basis for a player that has played a lot of games there really worried me.

I would tend to agree with baker though, he has been out for a while, hasn't played left back in probably 8/10 months as Oxford had him on the wing.

He was left back when Everton and England saw potential in him to be fair.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024