Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defending corners 13:30 - Jan 28 with 3530 viewswrightsrightglove

Any reason why we have everyone back in the box to defend corners? Seems to happen all of the time now rather than the standard leaving one of the smaller guys up front to take two of their guys out of the game. Am I missing something?
Defending corners on 13:35 - Jan 28 with 3498 viewsDarth_Koont

I think having all the players back defending is the default for even the best sides in the world now.

Of course, you can mix it up to keep the attacking side on their toes but don't think it's a biggie or that we're missing much of a trick there.

Pronouns: He/Him

Defending corners on 13:42 - Jan 28 with 3466 viewsEdmundo

I'm a fan of leaving two up, in the channels, to make them leave one of their big guys back. Would certainly be worth it if we need a goal or it's 0-0 with time left.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Defending corners on 13:50 - Jan 28 with 3441 viewsTractorCam

Lambert says the odds of scoring from that is very low. But i disagree as it keeps an extra one of their players back, plus if someone like Jackson is up there as he will outpace many defenders if you can hoof the ball into space

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Defending corners on 13:55 - Jan 28 with 3418 viewsFixed_It

PL has been asked about this. He says that only the best sides can afford to leave players up and we (and most teams) are not good enough for that luxury. Not sure I agree but it is clearly his preferred way of defending corners, and many other managers seem to view it similarly.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Defending corners on 14:23 - Jan 28 with 3346 viewsPinewoodblue

Defending in numbers at corners is fine as long as we don’t just hoof it down field as it then inevitably comes back.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Defending corners on 14:30 - Jan 28 with 3317 viewswrightsrightglove

Defending corners on 13:50 - Jan 28 by TractorCam

Lambert says the odds of scoring from that is very low. But i disagree as it keeps an extra one of their players back, plus if someone like Jackson is up there as he will outpace many defenders if you can hoof the ball into space

I think as well as a potential attacking situation, it just seems like a good situation that 1 player can remove 2 of their players from the danger zone, seems like a good deal to me!
Defending corners on 14:31 - Jan 28 with 3318 viewsMattinLondon

Defending corners on 13:55 - Jan 28 by Fixed_It

PL has been asked about this. He says that only the best sides can afford to leave players up and we (and most teams) are not good enough for that luxury. Not sure I agree but it is clearly his preferred way of defending corners, and many other managers seem to view it similarly.

Surly if we leave one up front then the attacking team will leave two back? So I don’t understand PL thinking on this one.
Defending corners on 14:31 - Jan 28 with 3317 viewsBasuco

I would like to see how an opposition manager would react if we put Jackson on the center spot, Edwards where the halfway line meets the right touch line and Bishop on the left halfway line/touchline, I think that would scare them a bit.
Login to get fewer ads

Defending corners on 14:35 - Jan 28 with 3308 viewsChateauWines

I remember the Dark Lord being challenged on this years ago, I too always believed it gave an outlet if corner cleared. He also said the statistics backed up it was a hindrance rather than a help. Contrary to what PL says I believe that if the standard of player is lower (we are in Third Division), more mistakes likely so smart to leave one or two up

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Defending corners on 15:57 - Jan 28 with 3200 viewsChrisd

I'm one of those that never understands that decision by managers. I'd like PL to leave 2 or 3 of our quicker players up on the half-way line. The opposition would at least match that up, which then reduces the numbers in the penalty box for the corner. When we have no players up there competing for the cleared corner, we're back under pressure again.What's the logic in that?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 16:04]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Defending corners on 16:00 - Jan 28 with 3188 viewsMetal_Hacker

Listened to a Podcast today actually and heard an interesting stat on corners

It's something like a goal is scored from a corner every 8 games on average

Yeah .....perhaps that's why

Poll: If it were one or the other

Defending corners on 16:14 - Jan 28 with 3147 viewsDarth_Koont

Defending corners on 15:57 - Jan 28 by Chrisd

I'm one of those that never understands that decision by managers. I'd like PL to leave 2 or 3 of our quicker players up on the half-way line. The opposition would at least match that up, which then reduces the numbers in the penalty box for the corner. When we have no players up there competing for the cleared corner, we're back under pressure again.What's the logic in that?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 16:04]

But bodies in the box means that attackers are marked and also that it's difficult for attackers to get a run at the ball as there'll likely be a player taking up space and/or getting in the way of that run at some point. Decent headers become a real rarity.

And it's why there are so many short corner routines (or even fake routines) just to try and get defenders out of the box.

To be honest, when the ball is cleared and defence turns to attack, I think a team that breaks forward as a unit is almost as effective as an isolated forward 60 yards further up the pitch who waits for players to join him.

Defending corners on 16:32 - Jan 28 with 3111 viewsbluejacko

Big punt out of defence,player with Jackson’s pace is after it in a flash! Makes sense to me plus at least two of their players have to look after him, and odds on the ball doesn’t get put back into our box.
Still what do we know 😀
Defending corners on 16:46 - Jan 28 with 3090 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The stats for scoring from a counter on an opposition corner are pretty low. Better to have everyone back to defend and then you can still counter anyway with a keeper catch and quickly playing the ball out. We don't need to leave a player up the pitch, most teams will leave someone there to defend anyway.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Defending corners on 17:22 - Jan 28 with 3049 viewsRadlett_blue

The first time Town regularly brought 11 players back into the box was under Keane and we conceded umpteen late goals, often turning wins into draws, usually after defending a succession of corners, free kicks & throw ins in our own half, largely because we didn't have an outlet so the ball kept coming back into our crowded box. I still think it's crap tactic & would leave at least one quick forward up front, especially if we are losing or drawing. I know that many now bring 11 players back & do accept that a crowded box makes it harder to score, but would only do it if we were defending a single goal lead in the last minute.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Defending corners on 17:44 - Jan 28 with 3017 viewsChrisd

Defending corners on 16:14 - Jan 28 by Darth_Koont

But bodies in the box means that attackers are marked and also that it's difficult for attackers to get a run at the ball as there'll likely be a player taking up space and/or getting in the way of that run at some point. Decent headers become a real rarity.

And it's why there are so many short corner routines (or even fake routines) just to try and get defenders out of the box.

To be honest, when the ball is cleared and defence turns to attack, I think a team that breaks forward as a unit is almost as effective as an isolated forward 60 yards further up the pitch who waits for players to join him.

Players are going to get marked anyway at a corner, you keep you best headers of the ball in for that set piece. There's no way a team is not at least going to match the number of attackers on the half-way line, so there'll be the same amount of defenders to mark for the corner. From a keeper's point of view, if there are more bodies around, it's more difficult to claim the cross.

Invariably, when a corner is cleared it's not often it's played out with composure, although I do appreciate this does happen on occasions, it's more hacked clear straight to a defender waiting and then we're back under pressure again, although we might have pushed up to the edge of our own area. Still seems bizarre.

Defending corners on 18:39 - Jan 28 with 2948 viewslmfcblue

Been watching closely of late and most teams leave 2 defenders marking no one when we bring everyone back for corners. Obviously worried about Jackson pace on the counter so it’s nothing lost by bringing everyone back.
Defending corners on 18:41 - Jan 28 with 2942 viewsBLUEBEAT

Bugs me. It invites a second wave of pressure.

Poll: W or W

Defending corners on 18:57 - Jan 28 with 2915 viewsDarth_Koont

Defending corners on 17:44 - Jan 28 by Chrisd

Players are going to get marked anyway at a corner, you keep you best headers of the ball in for that set piece. There's no way a team is not at least going to match the number of attackers on the half-way line, so there'll be the same amount of defenders to mark for the corner. From a keeper's point of view, if there are more bodies around, it's more difficult to claim the cross.

Invariably, when a corner is cleared it's not often it's played out with composure, although I do appreciate this does happen on occasions, it's more hacked clear straight to a defender waiting and then we're back under pressure again, although we might have pushed up to the edge of our own area. Still seems bizarre.

Sure. But we're talking bodies in the box and even players like Jackson or Edwards just blocking runs and occupying space.

I'm sure the odds of scoring a goal from a corner go up massively based on the number of players getting in the way of attackers.

And even if you've got players waiting on the halfway line the attacks are going to be so random. There's an assumption that even at our level we could have some Sadio Mané effect up front.

Doesn't happen. A single defender (with the keeper behind them for the long punt) will slow down one or two attackers unless they're world class at dealing with the usual shaky, random clearances from defence.

Defending corners on 19:13 - Jan 28 with 2892 viewsChrisd

Defending corners on 18:57 - Jan 28 by Darth_Koont

Sure. But we're talking bodies in the box and even players like Jackson or Edwards just blocking runs and occupying space.

I'm sure the odds of scoring a goal from a corner go up massively based on the number of players getting in the way of attackers.

And even if you've got players waiting on the halfway line the attacks are going to be so random. There's an assumption that even at our level we could have some Sadio Mané effect up front.

Doesn't happen. A single defender (with the keeper behind them for the long punt) will slow down one or two attackers unless they're world class at dealing with the usual shaky, random clearances from defence.

Difficult to prove I know, as no manager does it but surely logic suggests it’s more likely you‘ve got a chance of breaking and scoring more goals if you have more players waiting on the half-way line for the clearance, instead of 1 or no one?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 19:18]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024