Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day 1983 13:37 - Feb 5 with 1381 viewsTommyparker

Portman's Road's new 1.4 million Pioneer Stand is officially opened by Sports Minister Neil MacFarlane.
Ipswich Town 1 Manchester United 1
Town

Cooper
Putney
Gernon
Osman
Butcher
Thijssen
Wark
McCall
O'Callaghan
Brazil
Mariner

Att 23,581.
£1.4 million eh....... on 13:47 - Feb 5 with 1335 viewsBloots

.....you couldn't even buy a Kayden Jackson for that 18 months ago.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

On this day 1983 on 14:02 - Feb 5 with 1290 viewsCoastalblue

Was that the beginning of the end?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

On this day 1983 on 14:06 - Feb 5 with 1275 viewsmonty_radio

On this day 1983 on 14:02 - Feb 5 by Coastalblue

It certainly arrived just as the need for it was waining, and saddled us with a debt which hurried us along the route to the destination at which we have now arrived. Whether it will turn out to be a terminus is probably in the balance.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

On this day 1983 on 14:30 - Feb 5 with 1224 viewslondontractorboy57

On this day 1983 on 14:06 - Feb 5 by monty_radio

It certainly arrived just as the need for it was waining, and saddled us with a debt which hurried us along the route to the destination at which we have now arrived. Whether it will turn out to be a terminus is probably in the balance.

Personally i cannot see ITFC being around in 10-15 years time.
Had a season ticket for 2 years in pioneer stand that was the beginning of the end.
On this day 1983 on 14:38 - Feb 5 with 1205 viewsGlasgowBlue

On this day 1983 on 14:02 - Feb 5 by Coastalblue

Yep. That and not getting in a proven top manager to replace SBR. We only lost Arnie and Mick Mills from our treble chasing side when SBR left to take the England job. Within a year we had lost so many more of that great team to pay for the stand.

Had an "Alex Ferguson" become our manager he may have kept us more competitive and retained more of our better players.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

On this day 1983 on 15:09 - Feb 5 with 1156 viewshoppy

On this day 1983 on 14:38 - Feb 5 by GlasgowBlue

Yep. That and not getting in a proven top manager to replace SBR. We only lost Arnie and Mick Mills from our treble chasing side when SBR left to take the England job. Within a year we had lost so many more of that great team to pay for the stand.

Had an "Alex Ferguson" become our manager he may have kept us more competitive and retained more of our better players.

Wasn't Alex Ferguson supposed to have been instead of his namesake Bobby, or is that just folklore?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

On this day 1983 on 15:33 - Feb 5 with 1110 viewsRadlett_blue

On this day 1983 on 15:09 - Feb 5 by hoppy

Wasn't Alex Ferguson supposed to have been instead of his namesake Bobby, or is that just folklore?

Alex Ferguson had already won the Scottish League with Aberdeen & turned down an offer to manage Wolves at that time. He wasn't a bad judge as Wolves went on to be relegated. I think he would have been smart enough to see Ipswich as a bad appointment - an ageing team in decline & little money with which to reinforce it so I doubt he would have considered coming. It also took him 4 years & spending a lot of money to turn around Man Utd so I doubt he would have done much for Town, although our relegation may have been delayed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

On this day 1983 on 15:34 - Feb 5 with 1088 viewsPhilTWTD

On this day 1983 on 15:33 - Feb 5 by Radlett_blue

Alex Ferguson had already won the Scottish League with Aberdeen & turned down an offer to manage Wolves at that time. He wasn't a bad judge as Wolves went on to be relegated. I think he would have been smart enough to see Ipswich as a bad appointment - an ageing team in decline & little money with which to reinforce it so I doubt he would have considered coming. It also took him 4 years & spending a lot of money to turn around Man Utd so I doubt he would have done much for Town, although our relegation may have been delayed.

He was approached but felt it was too early to move on from Aberdeen at that stage.
Login to get fewer ads

On this day 1983 on 15:36 - Feb 5 with 1082 viewsPJH

On this day 1983 on 15:34 - Feb 5 by PhilTWTD

He was approached but felt it was too early to move on from Aberdeen at that stage.

What time was it?
On this day 1983 on 15:38 - Feb 5 with 1072 viewsBrianTablet

On this day 1983 on 15:36 - Feb 5 by PJH

What time was it?

12 minutes into injury time?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

On this day 1983 on 15:39 - Feb 5 with 1065 viewsPJH

On this day 1983 on 15:38 - Feb 5 by BrianTablet

12 minutes into injury time?

I am not sure if Fergie Time was invented until he had been at Man U for a while.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024