Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This banner thing in Germany 14:14 - Mar 3 with 1030 viewsbluelagos

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/02/dietmar-hopp-banners-chaos-rais

Anyone followed it, got any informed opinions as to what is going on? Don't understand why a banner calling an owner a "Son of a whore" would cause such reactions from the players / officials. Can think of things a 100 times worse....

Is there some context that is missing?
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 14:15]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This banner thing in Germany on 14:22 - Mar 3 with 986 viewsartsbossbeard

My understanding is that this terminology in Germany is akin to us using the C bomb. It's quite the offensive insult.

I am, of course, more than happy to be corrected on this.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This banner thing in Germany on 14:22 - Mar 3 with 983 viewshomer_123

In short, he's overturned the ownership model in Germany - all Clubs (bar a few) are owned by the fans (excluding ex Works teams).

He's basically bankrolled the club over the years and it is extremely disliked.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This banner thing in Germany on 14:23 - Mar 3 with 976 viewsclive_baker

No, not really any context missing. Just a lot of German fans don't like the way Hopp has bankrolled Hoffenheim. As an outsider I don't really see the issue, but maybe that's because we're used to it over here. It's his home town club, local boy 'done' good sort of thing and he's put an awful lot of money in for them to hop up the leagues. Over here I think the story would be admired probably. There's been a number of protests over there, including Dortmund fans earlier in the season. Ironically, it's about the only time you'll see Bayern and Dortmund united in anything.

This specific incident seemed like a massive overreaction, I don't know why stewards didn't just get the banner removed and be done with it. I've never seen anything like it. I suspect the fact the score was already 6-0 contributed to the final 10 minutes not being contested.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This banner thing in Germany on 14:54 - Mar 3 with 900 viewsJohnny_Boy

The Dortmund ultras unfurled something similar & Hoffenheim automatically banned ALL Dortmund away fans for 2 years. Just like that. The German fans have all united with this as it could just as easily happen to them.
This banner thing in Germany on 14:55 - Mar 3 with 895 viewsSharkey

This banner thing in Germany on 14:23 - Mar 3 by clive_baker

No, not really any context missing. Just a lot of German fans don't like the way Hopp has bankrolled Hoffenheim. As an outsider I don't really see the issue, but maybe that's because we're used to it over here. It's his home town club, local boy 'done' good sort of thing and he's put an awful lot of money in for them to hop up the leagues. Over here I think the story would be admired probably. There's been a number of protests over there, including Dortmund fans earlier in the season. Ironically, it's about the only time you'll see Bayern and Dortmund united in anything.

This specific incident seemed like a massive overreaction, I don't know why stewards didn't just get the banner removed and be done with it. I've never seen anything like it. I suspect the fact the score was already 6-0 contributed to the final 10 minutes not being contested.

Last game I can remember being not contested was when the police/authorities at Orient v Colchester said a game had been abandoned, and then when the crowd had left the FA told the teams to finish the match. I think Colchester players kicked the ball to each other for about six minutes without even trying to go into the Orient half. What the FA would have done if the teams had 'gone for it' I do not know - maybe blamed THEM for 'bringing the game into disrepute'?
This banner thing in Germany on 15:04 - Mar 3 with 858 viewsuefacup81

The difference is that to insult someone in public is a crime in Germany:

§ 185 StGB Beleidigung
Die Beleidigung wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu einem Jahr oder mit Geldstrafe und, wenn die Beleidigung mittels einer Tätlichkeit begangen wird, mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu zwei Jahren oder mit Geldstrafe bestraft.

"An insult shall be punished by imprisonment of up to one year, or by means of a fine. Should the insult be delivered by means of an assault, the punishment shall be up to two years' imprisonment or a fine."

In 2015, 218,414 cases of Beleidigung were logged.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

This banner thing in Germany (n/t) on 15:43 - Mar 3 with 814 viewsmonytowbray

This banner thing in Germany on 14:22 - Mar 3 by artsbossbeard

My understanding is that this terminology in Germany is akin to us using the C bomb. It's quite the offensive insult.

I am, of course, more than happy to be corrected on this.

Busy c*nts.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 15:43]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This banner thing in Germany on 15:43 - Mar 3 with 812 viewsBlueBadger

This banner thing in Germany on 14:54 - Mar 3 by Johnny_Boy

The Dortmund ultras unfurled something similar & Hoffenheim automatically banned ALL Dortmund away fans for 2 years. Just like that. The German fans have all united with this as it could just as easily happen to them.

Dortmund you say? We NEVER him about them at ITFC nowadays.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024