Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt 14:59 - Mar 6 with 3450 viewsitfcjoe

Interestingly he only wore 7 in 30% of his games for Man u, wore the number 11 in 52% and numbers 8, 9 and 10 across the other 18%

ITFC feels a bit like this, The Beat is an iconic number 6 but seems to have worn 3 a lot, Warky seems to be number 7 here on new memorabilia but seems to have worn it fairly rarely and was often 8, or 5, or even was 2 in some highlights I saw the other day

Squad numbers do make these things easier!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:11 - Mar 6 with 3407 viewsPJH

Certainly it was very different when numbering was 2-11(not sure when goalkeepers numbering started)because generally the number just indicated the position you were playing on the day.

Mick Mills would normally be 2 or 3 but if playing in midfield he wore on different occasions most of the other numbers.

Before squad numbers Warky would most likely be 5 or 6 if playing central defence or 7 or 8 if in midfield.

The Beat and Terry Butcher sometimes played left back so although both of them normally wore 6 they were sometimes 3.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:12 - Mar 6 with 3407 viewsWeWereZombies

I always think of Wark wearing 8.

And, although it is very unenlightened and politically incorrect, it would not surprise me if it was revealed that Todd Cantwell wore Boots No. 7...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:18 - Mar 6 with 3393 viewsPJH

I know that sometime in probably the late 1960's or maybe early 1970's Crystal Palace had a spell of trying to confuse the opposition with their line up by numbering their players other than the accepted way.

I remember being at Selhurst Park and seeing Palace lined up before kick off and thinking how strange it was with the player lined up at centre half having a number 7 on his back.

Once the game started the numbers did not mean much but I suppose when team sheets were exchanged about an hour before the game it caused a bit of head scratching for the opponents.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:36 - Mar 6 with 3358 viewsThe_Last_Baron

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:11 - Mar 6 by PJH

Certainly it was very different when numbering was 2-11(not sure when goalkeepers numbering started)because generally the number just indicated the position you were playing on the day.

Mick Mills would normally be 2 or 3 but if playing in midfield he wore on different occasions most of the other numbers.

Before squad numbers Warky would most likely be 5 or 6 if playing central defence or 7 or 8 if in midfield.

The Beat and Terry Butcher sometimes played left back so although both of them normally wore 6 they were sometimes 3.

I don't remember Warky wearing 6, nearly always 5 in his later years with us. I remember him wearing both 9 and 5 while playing centre forward, which he did quite a bit circa 1989-90.

As for squad numbers, I'd go back to the old 1-11. When squad numbers first came out 20 years ago they worked but now seeing players wear 76 and 55 is ridiculous, a bit like American football.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:45 - Mar 6 with 3340 viewsitfcjoe

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:18 - Mar 6 by PJH

I know that sometime in probably the late 1960's or maybe early 1970's Crystal Palace had a spell of trying to confuse the opposition with their line up by numbering their players other than the accepted way.

I remember being at Selhurst Park and seeing Palace lined up before kick off and thinking how strange it was with the player lined up at centre half having a number 7 on his back.

Once the game started the numbers did not mean much but I suppose when team sheets were exchanged about an hour before the game it caused a bit of head scratching for the opponents.

There has been an interesting series on The Athletic with regards to squad numbers, and how they are different around the world due to how they went from the 2-3-5 formation to basically 4 at the back in a 2-3-5 the back 2 were from R-L 2-3, and the middle 3 were (R-L) 4-5-6

In England it went 2-5-6-3 as firstly the central half back dropped into the middle to become 2-5-3

In Argentina it is 4-2-6-3
In Brazil it is 2-4-3-6
In Uruguay is is 4-2-3-6
In Holland & Belgium is is 2-3-4-5

Well I found that interesting anyway...!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:45 - Mar 6 with 3338 viewsPJH

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:36 - Mar 6 by The_Last_Baron

I don't remember Warky wearing 6, nearly always 5 in his later years with us. I remember him wearing both 9 and 5 while playing centre forward, which he did quite a bit circa 1989-90.

As for squad numbers, I'd go back to the old 1-11. When squad numbers first came out 20 years ago they worked but now seeing players wear 76 and 55 is ridiculous, a bit like American football.

Just checking in The Men Who Made The Town Warky wore 6 in most of his very early games including his first 3.

He wore number 6 in 8 of his first 13 games.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:47 - Mar 6 with 3329 viewsKeno

what number did he wear when he played for Town?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:42 - Mar 6 with 3261 viewsPJH

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:47 - Mar 6 by Keno

what number did he wear when he played for Town?

Number 11-just checked my programme.

ITFC starting team was:-

Cooper, Burley, Osman, Butcher, Mills, Thijssen, Wark, Muhren, Turner, Mariner, Best
subs Brazil and Gates.

Not sure why Turner started ahead of Brazil and Gates.*

The Beat started for England eleven as did first David Johnson-and Ricky Villa!

edit *In November 1979 when the game was played none of the three were established first team players but Gates and Brazil were more so than Turner.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 17:23]
Login to get fewer ads

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:50 - Mar 6 with 3252 viewsPhilTWTD

Beat made his early appearances at left-back, hence three. Not sure why Warky went from eight, which he wore in the FA Cup final, to seven after Muhren signed. He then had five when he came back for his third spell playing in defence. Probably had five when he made his early appearances at centre-half as well.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:57 - Mar 6 with 3227 viewsCoastalblue

In my brain I always had Warky wearing number four for some obscure reason, I have no idea why?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:59 - Mar 6 with 3220 viewsPJH

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:50 - Mar 6 by PhilTWTD

Beat made his early appearances at left-back, hence three. Not sure why Warky went from eight, which he wore in the FA Cup final, to seven after Muhren signed. He then had five when he came back for his third spell playing in defence. Probably had five when he made his early appearances at centre-half as well.

Warky's very early appearances were mostly at 6 rather than 5 before becoming a first team midfielder in 1976/77.

In 1977/78 he did not play his first game until January and he sometimes wore 7 but usually 8.

Maybe Arnold had a preference for number 8 but as you say Warky was then number 7.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:00 - Mar 6 with 3212 viewsPhilTWTD

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:59 - Mar 6 by PJH

Warky's very early appearances were mostly at 6 rather than 5 before becoming a first team midfielder in 1976/77.

In 1977/78 he did not play his first game until January and he sometimes wore 7 but usually 8.

Maybe Arnold had a preference for number 8 but as you say Warky was then number 7.

I was trying to remember who he replaced, Beat or Hunter, which would presumably account for which number he wore in his early days.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:02 - Mar 6 with 3205 viewsPJH

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:00 - Mar 6 by PhilTWTD

I was trying to remember who he replaced, Beat or Hunter, which would presumably account for which number he wore in his early days.

In the fourth match against Leeds in 1975 he replaced The Beat and had Big Al as his minder.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:26 - Mar 6 with 3158 viewsPhilTWTD

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:02 - Mar 6 by PJH

In the fourth match against Leeds in 1975 he replaced The Beat and had Big Al as his minder.

No better minder to have!
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:49 - Mar 6 with 3114 viewsFtnfwest

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:57 - Mar 6 by Coastalblue

In my brain I always had Warky wearing number four for some obscure reason, I have no idea why?

Talbot and then Thijssen were at 4 with a 6 monthish gap between the two with I think Osbourne moving there most of that.
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:52 - Mar 6 with 3099 viewsGeoffSentence

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:11 - Mar 6 by PJH

Oh how I miss ITFC_SquadNumbers and his votes for best player to wear a squad number.

He didnt get very far before he gave up.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 17:54 - Mar 6 with 3097 viewsRadlett_blue

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 15:36 - Mar 6 by The_Last_Baron

This shouldn't be hard, especially in the Premier League where you have to name a 25 man squad so no reason why they shouldn't have to be numbered 1-25.
Yes, I hate to see high shirt numbers; nearly as bad as the American nonsense of "retiring" shirt numbers.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 22:21 - Mar 6 with 2997 viewsnorfsufblue

George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 16:57 - Mar 6 by Coastalblue

No 4 is Brian Talbots number... end of ( no I don't know why but that's the way it is in my head!)
George Best and Man United's famous Number 7 shirt on 02:01 - Mar 7 with 2916 viewsBLUEBEAT

The most famous No.7 is Barry Sheene.

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024