Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brown envelope from the DVLA 07:10 - Apr 8 with 111254 viewsbluelagos

Heart dropped when I got home to find the local postie had left a brown envelope from our friends in Swansea. Opened it to find it a reminder to renew the road tax on my motorbike. Swear the fckers are trolling me.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 07:30 - Apr 8 with 111180 viewstextbackup

if you don't go above the speed limit you wont need to worry

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 07:37 - Apr 8 with 111162 viewsbluelagos

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 07:30 - Apr 8 by textbackup

It's a bit like when you see a plod, you just feel guilty even when you know you've done nowt wrong...

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 08:34 - Apr 8 with 111031 viewsStokieBlue

Found it massively easier to just do it direct debit so I never have to remember.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 08:36 - Apr 8 with 111021 viewsGeoffSentence

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 07:30 - Apr 8 by textbackup

I can tell you, from my children's experience, that speeding tickets come in white envelopes from Norfolk plod.

Edit: I sometimes forget that people from all over use this site. People from outside Norfolk and Suffolk should not expect speeding tickets to arrive from Norfolk Old Bill.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 9:55]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 08:50 - Apr 8 with 110965 viewsbluelagos

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 08:36 - Apr 8 by GeoffSentence

I can tell you, from my children's experience, that speeding tickets come in white envelopes from Norfolk plod.

Edit: I sometimes forget that people from all over use this site. People from outside Norfolk and Suffolk should not expect speeding tickets to arrive from Norfolk Old Bill.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 9:55]

Luxembourg ones come recorded delivery. Couple of years back a mate got texted after his mate got done. So he called his wife to tell her not to sign for any recorded delivery letters.

When he got home he had 2 signed for speeding tickets. His wife forgot to tell their son.

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 09:54 - Apr 8 with 110862 viewsGuthrum

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 08:34 - Apr 8 by StokieBlue

Found it massively easier to just do it direct debit so I never have to remember.

SB

Same. Plus it's a smaller chunk of money coming out regularly, rather than a large sum at what will invariably be an inconvenient moment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:00 - Apr 8 with 110845 viewsJakeITFC

I got pulled over for speeding on the way back from Blackpool (1st March) and I haven't had a letter through the door yet - am I out of the woods by now?
Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:25 - Apr 8 with 110798 viewsGeoffSentence

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:00 - Apr 8 by JakeITFC

I got pulled over for speeding on the way back from Blackpool (1st March) and I haven't had a letter through the door yet - am I out of the woods by now?

Probably, the notice of intended prosecution should be sent within two weeks.

I think the key thing though, is the date on the NIP if and when you receive it. If it is dated more than 2 weeks after the offence then you will have 'got away with it' *

This is not bona fide legal advice just how I understand it. I think you are also supposed to send it back and reject it as out of time rather just ignore it.

Login to get fewer ads

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:29 - Apr 8 with 110788 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:25 - Apr 8 by GeoffSentence

Probably, the notice of intended prosecution should be sent within two weeks.

I think the key thing though, is the date on the NIP if and when you receive it. If it is dated more than 2 weeks after the offence then you will have 'got away with it' *

This is not bona fide legal advice just how I understand it. I think you are also supposed to send it back and reject it as out of time rather just ignore it.

Incorrect - the 2 week window is for static speed camera offences but not where you are pulled over at the time

I can’t remember the exact timescale but it’s either 6 or 12 months when pulled over - I know this as happened to me a couple of years back and did some research as I didn’t hear anything for ages, only to then have the letter land about 4 days before the period was up, annoyingly!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:33 - Apr 8 with 110773 viewsGeoffSentence

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 10:29 - Apr 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Incorrect - the 2 week window is for static speed camera offences but not where you are pulled over at the time

I can’t remember the exact timescale but it’s either 6 or 12 months when pulled over - I know this as happened to me a couple of years back and did some research as I didn’t hear anything for ages, only to then have the letter land about 4 days before the period was up, annoyingly!

Thanks.

Correction appreciated.

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 11:05 - Apr 8 with 110711 viewsPendejo

They don't come from DVLA and they are not brown, at least not when from Met Police. As someone who has become quite the collector.

Met
First step is a letter from a PO box address in Dartford requiring the details of the driver.
The second is the dreaded document itself demand £100 and you send in your licence.

Processing has slowed down somewhat recently for some reason.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 11:12 - Apr 8 with 110691 viewsMeadowlark

I got pulled on the way home from the Ipswich v Man U game on 26th August 1978. I know it was a long time ago......
It was a gloriously hot, sunny day and I'd made the trip to Portman Road down the A12 from Lowestoft. After the match, I bid farewell to my mates who were in a car and made my way back to the car park behind the North Stand where my Yamaha XS 750 was parked up. I wasn't in any particular hurry so I let the crowds around the ground disperse before making a move. However, the traffic was always bad after a game and I soon overtook my pals in a queue of traffic out near Martlesham.
The Wickham Market bypass had not been open long, and as I'd got ahead of most of the traffic I found myself on an almost deserted dual carriageway, on a gloriously sunny and warm late afternoon. Needless to say, I decided to give it a bit of welly.
At the end of the bypass, being a (mostly) law-abiding citizen I slowed down and joined a queue of traffic, only overtaking when easy and safe to do so. Soon I was in the clear again and pootling along at or around the speed limit. By this time I was just coming up the hill out of Farnham when I heard a siren. Glancing in my mirror I spotted a blue flashing light, and thinking that the police car was heading to an emergency somewhere I slowed down and let him pass. Imagine my surprise when he flipped up a POLICE STOP sign in his back window and guided me into a lay-by!
I sat on my bike and took off my crash helmet. The police officer got out of his car and approached me.
"Cast your mind back to the Wickham Market bypass sir" he said.
"Your average speed over one and one-tenth miles was ninety-nine point one miles per hour!"
He told me that if I didn't believe him I could look at the (VASCAR?) display on his dashboard. I believed him. Anyway, I was cautioned and he asked if I'd like to say anything in my defence. I simply said that I didn't think I was driving dangerously, that it was an empty road and the conditions were dry and clear. He agreed, but
"...you were breaking the speed limit sir, and I am here to uphold the law."
WIth that, we bade each other goodbye.
As I had been talking to him my mates had driven past, gesticulating, laughing and waving at me. When I met them in the pub later that evening they told me that the police car that stopped me overtook them on a blind bend and "cut-up" numerous other vehicles in its attempt to catch up with me! Needless to say, had I know he was chasing me he would never have caught me! He told me he had parked up on one of the slip roads off the by-pass and when I mentioned that I hadn't spotted him he said I should get better mirrors. At 100mph my mirrors were a bit shaky.
A few weeks later the letter dropped on the mat. I was fined twenty-nine pounds for being twenty-nine mph over the speed limit.
The match? We won 3-0. Two from Paul Mariner and one from Brian Talbot.
Brown envelope from the DVLA on 11:24 - Apr 8 with 110662 viewsGeoffSentence

Brown envelope from the DVLA on 11:12 - Apr 8 by Meadowlark

I got pulled on the way home from the Ipswich v Man U game on 26th August 1978. I know it was a long time ago......
It was a gloriously hot, sunny day and I'd made the trip to Portman Road down the A12 from Lowestoft. After the match, I bid farewell to my mates who were in a car and made my way back to the car park behind the North Stand where my Yamaha XS 750 was parked up. I wasn't in any particular hurry so I let the crowds around the ground disperse before making a move. However, the traffic was always bad after a game and I soon overtook my pals in a queue of traffic out near Martlesham.
The Wickham Market bypass had not been open long, and as I'd got ahead of most of the traffic I found myself on an almost deserted dual carriageway, on a gloriously sunny and warm late afternoon. Needless to say, I decided to give it a bit of welly.
At the end of the bypass, being a (mostly) law-abiding citizen I slowed down and joined a queue of traffic, only overtaking when easy and safe to do so. Soon I was in the clear again and pootling along at or around the speed limit. By this time I was just coming up the hill out of Farnham when I heard a siren. Glancing in my mirror I spotted a blue flashing light, and thinking that the police car was heading to an emergency somewhere I slowed down and let him pass. Imagine my surprise when he flipped up a POLICE STOP sign in his back window and guided me into a lay-by!
I sat on my bike and took off my crash helmet. The police officer got out of his car and approached me.
"Cast your mind back to the Wickham Market bypass sir" he said.
"Your average speed over one and one-tenth miles was ninety-nine point one miles per hour!"
He told me that if I didn't believe him I could look at the (VASCAR?) display on his dashboard. I believed him. Anyway, I was cautioned and he asked if I'd like to say anything in my defence. I simply said that I didn't think I was driving dangerously, that it was an empty road and the conditions were dry and clear. He agreed, but
"...you were breaking the speed limit sir, and I am here to uphold the law."
WIth that, we bade each other goodbye.
As I had been talking to him my mates had driven past, gesticulating, laughing and waving at me. When I met them in the pub later that evening they told me that the police car that stopped me overtook them on a blind bend and "cut-up" numerous other vehicles in its attempt to catch up with me! Needless to say, had I know he was chasing me he would never have caught me! He told me he had parked up on one of the slip roads off the by-pass and when I mentioned that I hadn't spotted him he said I should get better mirrors. At 100mph my mirrors were a bit shaky.
A few weeks later the letter dropped on the mat. I was fined twenty-nine pounds for being twenty-nine mph over the speed limit.
The match? We won 3-0. Two from Paul Mariner and one from Brian Talbot.

I shouldn't uppy that, it could be seen as approval of your sickening, criminal behaviour. But it's a good story well told, so there it is, uppy provided.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024