Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone bought or sold a car 15:50 - May 23 with 1392 viewsclive_baker

In lockdown?

Hoping to sell but not sure how it'll work by way of a test drive etc .

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone bought or sold a car on 16:59 - May 23 with 1323 viewssuffolkpuncher

I bought one from an independent garage early April as mine was written off. Put down a £200 deposit and he then delivered the car with the outstanding balance transferred once the key were handed over. He gave me a 6 month warranty and to be honest, even if I was able to test drive and look over the car I wouldn’t have a clue what I would be looking for so I just bit the bullet. Turns out the car is spot on and I could be happier. I would suggest that if you do find a car you like then look through the reviews on google etc as that can give you an indication on how the dealer operates.
Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:02 - May 23 with 1317 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m going to look at one tomorrow. Offer a test drive with masks and gloves is my advice.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:13 - May 23 with 1296 viewsclive_baker

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:02 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

I’m going to look at one tomorrow. Offer a test drive with masks and gloves is my advice.

Good idea. It's not like I can even sit in the back as I would still be <2m from them, and I don't want to break any rules in that respect.

There's always going to be an element of trust I guess. I'm happy to let someone test drive it, perhaps they could leave their phone on my gate post as some sort of collateral.

Good luck with the viewing tomorrow.

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:14 - May 23 with 1291 viewsclive_baker

Anyone bought or sold a car on 16:59 - May 23 by suffolkpuncher

I bought one from an independent garage early April as mine was written off. Put down a £200 deposit and he then delivered the car with the outstanding balance transferred once the key were handed over. He gave me a 6 month warranty and to be honest, even if I was able to test drive and look over the car I wouldn’t have a clue what I would be looking for so I just bit the bullet. Turns out the car is spot on and I could be happier. I would suggest that if you do find a car you like then look through the reviews on google etc as that can give you an indication on how the dealer operates.

I'll be the seller in my scenario but I agree with you, I'll stick it on Autotrader and see what happens. Glad yours worked out for you.

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:16 - May 23 with 1280 viewstonybied

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:13 - May 23 by clive_baker

Good idea. It's not like I can even sit in the back as I would still be <2m from them, and I don't want to break any rules in that respect.

There's always going to be an element of trust I guess. I'm happy to let someone test drive it, perhaps they could leave their phone on my gate post as some sort of collateral.

Can I test drive it? I'll let you keep my Nokia 3210 as collateral whilst I test it!
Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:16 - May 23 with 1280 viewsfooters

Not particularly helpful to you, but my granddad bought one a few weeks ago from a garage. He just let him drive it himself, but obviously bit of a difference in the level of trust between a private seller and a random, and a garage and old timer!

But if Pushkin comes to Shovekin then I guess you insist on doing it with windows down at all times. (Might be a plus if there are any noises coming from the car ;) )

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:23 - May 23 with 1268 viewsclive_baker

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:16 - May 23 by tonybied

Can I test drive it? I'll let you keep my Nokia 3210 as collateral whilst I test it!

I mean part of me does think I would be stupid to let someone drive off in an expensive asset. I wouldn't be covered by insurance either as I gave them the keys. But I need to shift it in the next month.

At least I could console myself with a game of Snake while you rob me.

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:33 - May 23 with 1241 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:02 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

Could they test drive it as far as, for example, Durham?

(asking for a bald-headed sociopath)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:40 - May 23 with 1233 viewsNewcyBlue

Mate I would just get in with gloves and face mask and test drive it with them.

Strip your clothes off at the front door and wash them immediately if you’re overly concerned.

I certainly wouldn’t be giving keys for a test drive without me.

https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections

It might be worth paying £99 to get it inspected so you can have a hassle free sale.

Anyone bought or sold a car on 18:20 - May 23 with 1192 viewsjeera

Anyone bought or sold a car on 17:40 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

Mate I would just get in with gloves and face mask and test drive it with them.

Strip your clothes off at the front door and wash them immediately if you’re overly concerned.

I certainly wouldn’t be giving keys for a test drive without me.

https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections

It might be worth paying £99 to get it inspected so you can have a hassle free sale.

Might seem a bit weird to take his clothes off at the door and then get in just wearing gloves and a mask.

The test drive would be really uncomfortable.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone bought or sold a car on 09:13 - May 24 with 1038 viewsSuperblue95

I bought a car on Wednesday, tested it on Monday. Just made me sanitise and wear gloves for the test drive. Maintained distance from the bloke selling at all times and sanitised when trading documents, etc.

Was all pretty easy to be honest

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Anyone bought or sold a car on 09:27 - May 24 with 1016 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone bought or sold a car on 18:20 - May 23 by jeera

Might seem a bit weird to take his clothes off at the door and then get in just wearing gloves and a mask.

The test drive would be really uncomfortable.

Put a towel on the seat before you sit down....makes it less uncomfortable

That's what I do before going for a spin in the motor "sky-clad"
Anyone bought or sold a car on 09:41 - May 24 with 1004 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Bought a 2 year old Mini Cooper the day before lockdown. The car is still at the dealership in Sunderland, so we are still awaiting delivery to Ipswich. They supplied us with new courtesy Mini until ours is able to get here, so decent service all round tbf.
We test drove a similar car on purchase day, all surfaces thoroughly wiped down beforehand so no real issues.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Anyone bought or sold a car on 10:00 - May 24 with 991 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone bought or sold a car on 09:41 - May 24 by StochesStotasBlewe

Bought a 2 year old Mini Cooper the day before lockdown. The car is still at the dealership in Sunderland, so we are still awaiting delivery to Ipswich. They supplied us with new courtesy Mini until ours is able to get here, so decent service all round tbf.
We test drove a similar car on purchase day, all surfaces thoroughly wiped down beforehand so no real issues.

That is good service.

The dealership your mini is at is only a few miles from me. Do you want me to take some photos for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024