Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Mum had one of these 09:46 - Oct 20 with 1302 viewsCoastalblue

I crashed it within a fortnight of passing my driving test, though after extensive repairs it did end up back on the road.

Probably a better car than given credit for at it's initial birth, and it was great fun to drive. My (ex)Wife later had a 1.4i version which felt like a little rocket back in the day.

https://metro.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

My Mum had one of these on 09:52 - Oct 20 with 1249 viewshype313

Talking of pocket rockets, I had a Peugeot 205 1.9GTI, I felt like donkey kong in it, but boy could that thing fly, was written off quite soon after I had got it. Probably why you rarely see them these days as most ended up wrapped around Conifers.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

My Mum had one of these on 09:52 - Oct 20 with 1248 viewsEdwardStone

I always thought the Metro was kinda cute....never had one myself

Best ever Private Eye cover was a parody of the Sun when the Falklands War was happening

"Kill an Argie and win a Mini Metro"
My Mum had one of these on 10:14 - Oct 20 with 1192 viewsfactual_blue

My Mum had one of these on 09:52 - Oct 20 by EdwardStone

I always thought the Metro was kinda cute....never had one myself

Best ever Private Eye cover was a parody of the Sun when the Falklands War was happening

"Kill an Argie and win a Mini Metro"

The Thalidomide scandal cover was better.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

My Mum had one of these on 10:20 - Oct 20 with 1178 viewsMookamoo

Was my first car and was huge fun to drive. Quite excellent except when the distributor cap would distribute itself all over the A137, which it did regularly.
My Mum had one of these on 10:21 - Oct 20 with 1170 viewsSwansea_Blue

Little go carts weren't they? Unrefined, unreliable rust buckets, but people seemed to like them nonetheless. Didn't exactly take on the world as the adverts suggest!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My Mum had one of these on 10:31 - Oct 20 with 1149 viewsjeera

My Mum had one of these on 10:21 - Oct 20 by Swansea_Blue

Little go carts weren't they? Unrefined, unreliable rust buckets, but people seemed to like them nonetheless. Didn't exactly take on the world as the adverts suggest!

And the Maestro.

The first 'talking' car.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

My Mum had one of these on 10:34 - Oct 20 with 1143 viewsSwansea_Blue

My Mum had one of these on 10:31 - Oct 20 by jeera

And the Maestro.

The first 'talking' car.

A mate had a montego, which I think was just the Maestro with a boot wasn't it. It was ok and lasted him for quite a while, but was again a rust bucket. It was more filler than steel by the time he got rid of it. Most cars were a bit susceptible to rust back then though in fairness. I don't miss having to replace soft steel exhausts as often as your tires.

My Mum had one of these on 10:40 - Oct 20 with 1133 viewsjeera

My Mum had one of these on 10:34 - Oct 20 by Swansea_Blue

A mate had a montego, which I think was just the Maestro with a boot wasn't it. It was ok and lasted him for quite a while, but was again a rust bucket. It was more filler than steel by the time he got rid of it. Most cars were a bit susceptible to rust back then though in fairness. I don't miss having to replace soft steel exhausts as often as your tires.

Maybe I was thinking of the Montego?

I'm not certain now. Similar era weren't they?

Hailed for its on board computer and barking out instructions to the driver.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 10:41]

Login to get fewer ads

My Mum had one of these on 10:42 - Oct 20 with 1123 viewsAlanRetentive

In a moment of unbridled wildness, I sold my first Puch Maxi N in 1983, and purchased a 998cc, 41 brake horse power Austin Mini Metro. I have to say that it was one of the worst decisions of my life. Whilst the luxurious elements of a roof and a relatively comfortable seat were an undeniable boon, I found being in control of something with the size and momentum of a motor car rather unnerving. Additionally, as a single gentleman, I had little use for the back seat.
Needless to say I swiftly sold the Austin, and returned to the carefree life of travelling everywhere* on a two-wheeled Austrian steed.
* To be factually correct, I do occasionally use the Corporation buses if I need to transport a large item, such as an ironing board from Argos, for example.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

My Mum had one of these on 10:44 - Oct 20 with 1118 viewsSteve_M

On the same subject:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54423328

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

My Mum had one of these on 10:45 - Oct 20 with 1112 viewsSwansea_Blue

My Mum had one of these on 10:40 - Oct 20 by jeera

Maybe I was thinking of the Montego?

I'm not certain now. Similar era weren't they?

Hailed for its on board computer and barking out instructions to the driver.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 10:41]

I think essentially the same car, one with a boot one without. My mate's didn't talk, you probably needed a posh version for that.

My Mum had one of these on 10:47 - Oct 20 with 1105 viewsjeera

My Mum had one of these on 10:45 - Oct 20 by Swansea_Blue

I think essentially the same car, one with a boot one without. My mate's didn't talk, you probably needed a posh version for that.

I think the talking was one of those things that was a novelty to begin with, which became irritating quite quickly and gave rise to the sort of jokes that caused arguments within marriages.

You know, went for a drive alone but it was like having you with me, kind of thing.

Yes, rust buckets, as you say.

My Mum had one of these on 10:48 - Oct 20 with 1101 viewsNthQldITFC

My Mum had one of these on 09:52 - Oct 20 by hype313

Talking of pocket rockets, I had a Peugeot 205 1.9GTI, I felt like donkey kong in it, but boy could that thing fly, was written off quite soon after I had got it. Probably why you rarely see them these days as most ended up wrapped around Conifers.

I like the passive 'was written off'!

I believe it is a fact that the Conifer Protection League were instrumental and highly effective in their late 1970s campaign to 'beef down' the structural integrity standards of new British-made cars in order to protect conifers from such events.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

My Mum had one of these on 10:53 - Oct 20 with 1090 viewsjeera

My Mum had one of these on 10:48 - Oct 20 by NthQldITFC

I like the passive 'was written off'!

I believe it is a fact that the Conifer Protection League were instrumental and highly effective in their late 1970s campaign to 'beef down' the structural integrity standards of new British-made cars in order to protect conifers from such events.

I missed that - was written off!

Heh.

Peugeot went through a stage of sticking large engines in small cars didn't they.

I drove someone's 106 once, it had a 1.5 diesel engine and no power-steering. It was horrible to drive. Little car with a heavy lump in the front and the refinement of a go-cart.

My Mum had one of these on 10:54 - Oct 20 with 1082 viewsNthQldITFC

My Mum had one of these on 10:47 - Oct 20 by jeera

I think the talking was one of those things that was a novelty to begin with, which became irritating quite quickly and gave rise to the sort of jokes that caused arguments within marriages.

You know, went for a drive alone but it was like having you with me, kind of thing.

Yes, rust buckets, as you say.

I think the poor man's option of a Metro and a talking African Grey parrot was preferable. It was far easier to 're-programme' the parrot to call you a cant when you forgot to put your seatbelt on, than it was to do so with the computer in the Maestro.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 11:01]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024