Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robin Friday 18:37 - Oct 21 with 1431 viewsMattinLondon

Until quite recently I’ve never heard of Robin Friday. But having read up on him, a lot of people rated him extremely highly as a footballer who should have won a lot of caps for England - if he had the right mentality.

Does anyone on here remember watching him play? Was he actually really good or has his reputation clouded peoples thoughts on him and he was simply just a good footballer - nothing really special.

Or is he like a 1970s Ravel Morrison - an extremely talented footballers who ultimately wasted away their talent?

Thanks in advance.

Robin Friday on 18:48 - Oct 21 with 1394 viewsfabian_illness

There has been several pieces written about him, quite a character, someone you could really love if he played for your team but hate if he didn’t!
I remember reading that he would get on the train to go training and to games. He’d wait for someone to go in the loo, knock on the door pretending to be the ticket inspector and ask them to slide the ticket under the door and then walk off with it so he didn’t have to pay.
Robin Friday on 18:48 - Oct 21 with 1391 viewsRadlett_blue

I never saw him play, but a friend of mine was a Cardiff fan & raved about how good Friday was in 1976-77, although he had been sold to Cardiff at a cut price £28,000 as the Reading manager felt he had lost his form as his lifestyle & drug taking was catching up with him.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Robin Friday on 18:53 - Oct 21 with 1371 viewsonemarcusstewart

The 42 have a good piece on him https://www.the42.ie/robin-friday-bill-irwin-cardiff-5052765-Mar2020/
Includes the iconic picture where he scores a goal and flicks a v sign at the keeper
Never saw him play, but..... on 18:54 - Oct 21 with 1368 viewsBloots

....I read Paulo Hewitt's book on him (The greatest footballer you never saw) years ago, it was a good read.

I think there's anew one out now actually, that may be what has brought the subject up.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Robin Friday on 18:56 - Oct 21 with 1354 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Never saw him play, but that Pickpocket Thursday was a proper player.
Robin Friday on 19:48 - Oct 21 with 1299 viewsgainsboroughblue

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Robin Friday on 22:49 - Oct 21 with 1177 views66notout

Robin Friday on 19:48 - Oct 21 by gainsboroughblue

The goalkeeper on the end of the two-fingered salute went on to play for Town.
Robin Friday on 08:07 - Oct 22 with 1063 viewsRadlett_blue

Robin Friday on 22:49 - Oct 21 by 66notout

The goalkeeper on the end of the two-fingered salute went on to play for Town.

Milija Aleksic - we had him on loan briefly in 1976, presumably as cover, but I don't think he played a game for Town.
A schoolfriend of mine was part of the St John's ambulance team who once carried him off the pitch injured when he was at Plymouth.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Robin Friday on 10:16 - Oct 22 with 985 viewsITFC_Forever

Paul McGuigan, better known as Guigsy - Oasis' bass player, wrote a book on him as well "The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw" after reading an article on him in Loaded magazine in the mid-90s.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Robin Friday on 10:26 - Oct 22 with 963 viewsNthQldITFC

He was preceded by Thievin Thursday, and superceded by Stealin Saturday, in my mind, such as it is.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Robin Friday on 11:24 - Oct 22 with 920 viewsWallingford_Boy

I used to go to Elm Park to watch Reading play at the end of the 70s/early 80s and all the Reading fans raved about him. He'd finished by then, retired a few years before but was one of those players that you couldn't take your eyes off.

Poor man's George Best basically.

Think his drinking and drugs caught up with him in the end and ruined it all.

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024