Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent 13:39 - Oct 31 with 1602 viewshomer_123

restrictions beyond what we already have?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:45 - Oct 31 with 1292 viewsgainsboroughblue

Restrictions are only as good as the people expected to follow them. Only the other day, I was in a shop where a man reached across me (no face covering) to grab a pint of milk off the shelf. He then went to pay the owner (no face covering) before leaving. This, despite a sign on the door saying 'No face covering, no entry'. Suffice to say, I put everything i intended to buy back and relocated to somewhere that are taking things seriously and working to protect people.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:47 - Oct 31 with 1281 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Priti Patel and Boris Johnson.

Oh, and half a dozen posters who don't think the virus exists or think it is no worse than the flu.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:48 - Oct 31 with 1269 viewshomer_123

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:45 - Oct 31 by gainsboroughblue

Restrictions are only as good as the people expected to follow them. Only the other day, I was in a shop where a man reached across me (no face covering) to grab a pint of milk off the shelf. He then went to pay the owner (no face covering) before leaving. This, despite a sign on the door saying 'No face covering, no entry'. Suffice to say, I put everything i intended to buy back and relocated to somewhere that are taking things seriously and working to protect people.

Agreed.

I'd say though the Govs response to this both in terms of communication but also how they personally have handled this (Cummings et al) have directly affected how the public approach this.

I'm not surprised people are behaving the way they are, sadly.

I thought we were better than this...clearly we are not.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:50 - Oct 31 with 1256 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:45 - Oct 31 by gainsboroughblue

It is possible (unlikely judging by the rest of the behaviour but possible) that he had an exemption.

Masks or not, this sort of thing is happening far too much. Supermarket shopping this morning felt like playing Russian roulette.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:51 - Oct 31 with 1251 viewsStokieBlue

The modelling is pretty clear - people can complain about Imperial all they like but here are 4 different institutions saying that deaths are going to be much higher than before if we keep on this course.

There will always be a subset who feel the restrictions are too harsh, don't apply to them or aren't worth it. We have a poster here who said:

"You can't put a price on freedom"

When asked how many deaths would be acceptable in order not to have restrictions.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:53 - Oct 31 with 1233 viewspointofblue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:51 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

The modelling is pretty clear - people can complain about Imperial all they like but here are 4 different institutions saying that deaths are going to be much higher than before if we keep on this course.

There will always be a subset who feel the restrictions are too harsh, don't apply to them or aren't worth it. We have a poster here who said:

"You can't put a price on freedom"

When asked how many deaths would be acceptable in order not to have restrictions.

SB

The response of one person I know to a possible 85,000 deaths: “But we’re a country of over 60 million people”.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2020 13:59]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:53 - Oct 31 with 1234 viewsTrequartista

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:47 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Priti Patel and Boris Johnson.

Oh, and half a dozen posters who don't think the virus exists or think it is no worse than the flu.

There are arguments against lockdown that are not based on David Icke style myths which we should consider before just dismissing them as covidiots. (I am in favour of a 3/4 week national lockdown with schools staying open at this point incidentally)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:54 - Oct 31 with 1213 viewspointofblue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:53 - Oct 31 by Trequartista

There are arguments against lockdown that are not based on David Icke style myths which we should consider before just dismissing them as covidiots. (I am in favour of a 3/4 week national lockdown with schools staying open at this point incidentally)

This is where I’m slightly resistant towards a lockdown - surely keeping the schools open will maintain the spread via children and teachers? If we’re going to do it, and we need to, surely it needs to be similar to the one in March?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:57 - Oct 31 with 1193 viewsStokieBlue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:53 - Oct 31 by Trequartista

If the graph above plays out at 4000 deaths a day I am not sure there can be many arguments against lockdowns.

That would be the nearly the population of Ipswich dying every month. Now that is unlikely to be the case as it's an outlier scenario but it puts things in perspective about what could happen with no restrictions.

SB

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:59 - Oct 31 with 1178 viewsStokieBlue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:54 - Oct 31 by pointofblue

This is where I’m slightly resistant towards a lockdown - surely keeping the schools open will maintain the spread via children and teachers? If we’re going to do it, and we need to, surely it needs to be similar to the one in March?

I think the research on spread by younger kids is not conclusive at the moment, certainly older children can spread it though. In France any child over 6 has to wear a face mask at school.

If it could be guaranteed to only be 4 weeks then I wouldn't object to the schools closing, unfortunately I don't think that's a guarantee that the government can make.

SB

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:59 - Oct 31 with 1170 viewshomer_123

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:57 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

If the graph above plays out at 4000 deaths a day I am not sure there can be many arguments against lockdowns.

That would be the nearly the population of Ipswich dying every month. Now that is unlikely to be the case as it's an outlier scenario but it puts things in perspective about what could happen with no restrictions.

SB

I think people forget that nothing has changed.

The virus is as serious as before and likely to be more so given the time of year - we have no vaccine - and whilst our knowledge of caring/treating people with Covid has improved we still have limitations within the Health service to cope with numbers...the same limitations we had before.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:00 - Oct 31 with 1160 viewspointofblue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:59 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

I think the research on spread by younger kids is not conclusive at the moment, certainly older children can spread it though. In France any child over 6 has to wear a face mask at school.

If it could be guaranteed to only be 4 weeks then I wouldn't object to the schools closing, unfortunately I don't think that's a guarantee that the government can make.

SB

It’s why they should have ran a circuit breaker around half term. SAGE advice suggested it would have worked only would have only effected schools for maybe a week at the most.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:00 - Oct 31 with 1157 viewshomer_123

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:59 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

SB

Certainly there were reports yesterday of Germany(?) implementing old school kids had to wear marks all the time indoors.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:01 - Oct 31 with 1152 viewshomer_123

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:00 - Oct 31 by pointofblue

It’s why they should have ran a circuit breaker around half term. SAGE advice suggested it would have worked only would have only effected schools for maybe a week at the most.

This was the 'long term' feedback I heard on R4 this week.

In effect, going forward you will need to have stringent circuit breakers, followed by easing, then another circuit breaker for the indefinite future to manage this.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:02 - Oct 31 with 1140 viewsNthsuffolkblue

SB

They were told to have 2 weeks including schools that could have been over half term. They have buried their heads in the sand.

The biggest problem is their utter failure over track and trace which results from their insistence on misappropriating funds.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:05 - Oct 31 with 1127 viewspointofblue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:02 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

They were told to have 2 weeks including schools that could have been over half term. They have buried their heads in the sand.

The biggest problem is their utter failure over track and trace which results from their insistence on misappropriating funds.

Whilst they should be hauled over the coals in relation to Track and Trace, amongst other things, even countries with an effective system are now struggling to cope.

Edit: Awful English there - ies rather than y’s
[Post edited 31 Oct 2020 14:09]

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:07 - Oct 31 with 1112 viewsgazzer1999

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:02 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

2 weeks over half term would not have made much difference. Also those in private education got 2 weeks.
Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:08 - Oct 31 with 1111 viewsStokieBlue

Track and trace has been farcical but it wouldn't have been the silver bullet. Now the cases have ramped up Germany are really struggling and can't track and trace their cases.

SB

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:10 - Oct 31 with 1096 viewshomer_123

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:05 - Oct 31 by pointofblue

Whilst they should be hauled over the coals in relation to Track and Trace, amongst other things, even countries with an effective system are now struggling to cope.

Edit: Awful English there - ies rather than y’s

Take Germany though - one of the reasons they have implemented a soft lock down is that they have recognised their track and trace system is nearing capacity and it buys them time resolve that issue.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:10 - Oct 31 with 1096 viewsgazzer1999

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:08 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

Track and trace has been farcical but it wouldn't have been the silver bullet. Now the cases have ramped up Germany are really struggling and can't track and trace their cases.

SB

They do seem to be keeping more people alive which is worrying for us though.
Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:11 - Oct 31 with 1093 viewshomer_123

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:08 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

SB

Which Merkel made clear that they recognised, hence they have entered a soft lockdown even though their numbers are lower than the rest of Europe...to give them the opportunity to increase capacity in their track and trace system.

Whilst it is no silver bullet - our Government in comparison can' organise a piss up in the brewery.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:17 - Oct 31 with 1061 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:07 - Oct 31 by gazzer1999

2 weeks over half term would not have made much difference. Also those in private education got 2 weeks.

Interesting you know better than the experts. Glad to hear the rich are better protected. This Government all over.

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:18 - Oct 31 with 1064 viewsTrequartista

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 13:57 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

SB

I remember them last time with a graph showing cases doubling every week (which didn't happen) which would have killed half the population by Christmas. Apparently it was an example, rather than what the most likely outcome was, so I will be checking the small print carefully.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:22 - Oct 31 with 1042 viewsVic

SB

Even at just over 1000 it’s like everyone Bury St Edmunds dying in one month!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is there anyone that doesn't think we should have more stringent on 14:24 - Oct 31 with 1036 viewsEly_Blue

I think that the areas that are under stricter restrictions or those areas should have more restricted travel movements, I think that is one thing that the government have missed an opportunity on, the Irish and French have done it - surely if the virus doesn’t get out then it slows down?

I do question why areas with low infection rates should be “punished” (and I know that’s the wrong word to use probably) by the more highly/densely populated regions with high infection rates.

I’d love to know how an area such as East Cambs which has a rates of 39 cases per 100k (UK average is 149 per 100k) should have the same restrictions as say Nottingham with 11 times that rate?

That would be my only gripe about tougher restrictions

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024