Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Christmas conundrum 12:41 - Nov 18 with 2322 viewsBluefish

Would it not be a better solution to say to everyone. I am sorry but Christmas just isn't going to able to happen this year in a safe way so we are moving the bank holidays to mid Jan or wherever when we feel the virus will be suppressed and we will have some sort of vaccine.

Takes away the uncertainty and everyone can plan for it. Who actually cares about Christmas being on some fictional blokes birthday really? The county just loves having a few bank holidays strung together and an excuse to get pissed and eat too much

Longer it is left it becomes too late and another failure of this government in controlling the virus

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The Christmas conundrum on 12:49 - Nov 18 with 1850 viewsHARRY10

The government has little ability over controlling the v=spread if the virus that is why it is not really trying to do that

it is about controlling the number of admissions to hospitals - so they can come

As to the idea of delaying Xmas that rather overlooks the way food is processed and 'brought to market' for a specific time. To imagine that can simply be paused is absurd.
The Christmas conundrum on 12:53 - Nov 18 with 1838 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 12:49 - Nov 18 by HARRY10

The government has little ability over controlling the v=spread if the virus that is why it is not really trying to do that

it is about controlling the number of admissions to hospitals - so they can come

As to the idea of delaying Xmas that rather overlooks the way food is processed and 'brought to market' for a specific time. To imagine that can simply be paused is absurd.

Absurd that a frozen turkey can't be kept frozen a bit longer and a live one kept alive a bit longer?

It really wouldn't be that hard especially as they have had 6 months + to plan for it

The Christmas conundrum on 12:53 - Nov 18 with 1836 viewsgiant_stow

Nice idea.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Christmas conundrum on 12:55 - Nov 18 with 1832 viewsclive_baker

I am sorry but Paul Lambert just isn't going to be sacked this year, so you're better off moving your moany rants and endless tedium to mid Jan or wherever when we feel the virus will be outed and we will have some sort of mediocre league position on which to base our argument.

Takes away the uncertainty and everyone can plan for it. Who actually cares about Paul Lambert being on some massive salary and sucking the life out of ITFC really? The fans just love having a few passes strung together at the back and an excuse to get pissed and moan too much.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Christmas conundrum on 12:59 - Nov 18 with 1832 viewsitfcjoe

It doesn't really work to cancel the bank holidays though - even if it is 'cancelled' I'm still going to have a Xmas day with my family (wife and kids), we are still going to do presents, I'm still going to eat drink and be merry, I'm still going to watch the football on Boxing Day. Our work is still going to shut down for the break as sure people won't want us working in their house.

If your option is to be a goer, it basically just means have extra bank holidays which is a killer for business, as cancelling the current ones is a total non-starter

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Christmas conundrum on 13:02 - Nov 18 with 1814 viewsHARRY10

The Christmas conundrum on 12:53 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

Absurd that a frozen turkey can't be kept frozen a bit longer and a live one kept alive a bit longer?

It really wouldn't be that hard especially as they have had 6 months + to plan for it

It is a matter if storage space - production lines cannot simply be halted.

Animals do not simply stop growing, and the cost in feed etc would ramp up the cost

Fruit and veg is grown to a certain timescale based on market demand, as with Xmas trees etc

There will be a glut if certain 'festive foods' this year due to no office Xmas parties etc, so I expect there will be another 'eat out t empty the freezer' again in January

And te idea will be to try and reduce hospital admissions leading up to Xmas so as to have the capacity to deal with a post Xmas surge.
The Christmas conundrum on 13:05 - Nov 18 with 1812 viewsChurchman

Agreed. The irony is the best bit of Christmas for me was always the get togethers in the run up to Christmas and maybe the odd dodge off work early for a few beers between Christmas and New Year, along with Bank Holiday football. All those things just aren’t going to happen, could/should be delayed or written off for this year.

The Governments fixation on Christmas is very odd. I suspect just a distraction to focus people away from their epic failings and the possible chaos of Brexit in the new year. A sort of ‘give the plebs a good Christmas before the food runs out’ approach?
The Christmas conundrum on 13:08 - Nov 18 with 1803 viewsusm

The vaccine(s) are very unlikely to be effective in any realistic form by mid January.
And Id suggest quite a few people "care about Christmas being on some fictional blokes birthday".
We should maintain it as far as possible and make it as "normal" as possible. Too many of our traditions have already been watered down, lets not lose another one.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

The Christmas conundrum on 13:12 - Nov 18 with 1783 viewsHARRY10

The Christmas conundrum on 13:08 - Nov 18 by usm

The vaccine(s) are very unlikely to be effective in any realistic form by mid January.
And Id suggest quite a few people "care about Christmas being on some fictional blokes birthday".
We should maintain it as far as possible and make it as "normal" as possible. Too many of our traditions have already been watered down, lets not lose another one.

tradition ?

if over consumption is a tradition

then we are further away from where we should be than ever you imagine
The Christmas conundrum on 13:15 - Nov 18 with 1772 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 12:59 - Nov 18 by itfcjoe

It doesn't really work to cancel the bank holidays though - even if it is 'cancelled' I'm still going to have a Xmas day with my family (wife and kids), we are still going to do presents, I'm still going to eat drink and be merry, I'm still going to watch the football on Boxing Day. Our work is still going to shut down for the break as sure people won't want us working in their house.

If your option is to be a goer, it basically just means have extra bank holidays which is a killer for business, as cancelling the current ones is a total non-starter

It should have been announced earlier but what you are saying is pretty poor. I expect you would complain at the other religious festivals mentioned previously being ignored by people saying the same as you

The Christmas conundrum on 13:16 - Nov 18 with 1760 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 13:02 - Nov 18 by HARRY10

It is a matter if storage space - production lines cannot simply be halted.

Animals do not simply stop growing, and the cost in feed etc would ramp up the cost

Fruit and veg is grown to a certain timescale based on market demand, as with Xmas trees etc

There will be a glut if certain 'festive foods' this year due to no office Xmas parties etc, so I expect there will be another 'eat out t empty the freezer' again in January

And te idea will be to try and reduce hospital admissions leading up to Xmas so as to have the capacity to deal with a post Xmas surge.

Yeah f*** saving lives or easing the burden on the NHS

The Christmas conundrum on 13:24 - Nov 18 with 1743 viewsHARRY10

The Christmas conundrum on 13:16 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

Yeah f*** saving lives or easing the burden on the NHS

eh ?
The Christmas conundrum on 13:24 - Nov 18 with 1745 viewsitfcjoe

The Christmas conundrum on 13:15 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

It should have been announced earlier but what you are saying is pretty poor. I expect you would complain at the other religious festivals mentioned previously being ignored by people saying the same as you

How is anything I'm doing ignoring the rules in place? Try reading what is there.

The Christmas conundrum on 13:24 - Nov 18 with 1741 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 13:24 - Nov 18 by HARRY10

eh ?

Let's just plan for a post Xmas surge

The Christmas conundrum on 13:26 - Nov 18 with 1750 viewsBlueBadger

The Christmas conundrum on 13:08 - Nov 18 by usm

Frankly, if every 'other' tradition has had to make sacrifices, 'we' can here. I have friends and colleagues who've been unable to celebrate Eid, Diwali and Easter(a MASSIVE affair for my Filipino and Greek colleagues), running the risk of adding to a winter surge because of nebulous 'but are tradishuns' is foolish at best, the worst kind of irresponsible gesture politics-based incompetence at worst.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 15:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Christmas conundrum on 13:26 - Nov 18 with 1738 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 13:24 - Nov 18 by itfcjoe

How is anything I'm doing ignoring the rules in place? Try reading what is there.

I didn't say you are. I think perhaps you should try the reading

The Christmas conundrum on 13:30 - Nov 18 with 1723 viewsitfcjoe

The Christmas conundrum on 13:26 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

I didn't say you are. I think perhaps you should try the reading

So what have I said that is 'pretty poor'?

The Christmas conundrum on 13:33 - Nov 18 with 1707 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 13:30 - Nov 18 by itfcjoe

So what have I said that is 'pretty poor'?

OK fair play, hands up i apologise and take it back. I took it that you were implying lockdown would be ignored.

The Christmas conundrum on 13:35 - Nov 18 with 1690 viewsHARRY10

The Christmas conundrum on 13:24 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

Let's just plan for a post Xmas surge

yep, that’s what's being done

I would have thought that was fairly obvious
The Christmas conundrum on 13:36 - Nov 18 with 1689 viewsIllinoisblue

We just canceled our thanksgiving and Xmas hosting plans due to the county putting an emergency order in place banning mass gatherings. What a year. Although quite looking forward to a quiet Xmas

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Christmas conundrum on 13:37 - Nov 18 with 1676 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 13:35 - Nov 18 by HARRY10

yep, that’s what's being done

I would have thought that was fairly obvious

Yes it is and I am saying that it shouldn't be. I am also saying food shortages shouldn't be the priority

The Christmas conundrum on 13:38 - Nov 18 with 1674 viewsitfcjoe

The Christmas conundrum on 13:33 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

OK fair play, hands up i apologise and take it back. I took it that you were implying lockdown would be ignored.

No probs - it's easily done.

I think the main problem is everyone needs a bit of clarity to plan and prepare, it almost needs to be announced it will be a free for all, or it will be under tiered restrictions.

I appreciate it isn't that easy, but sometimes it's just better to deliver bad news early to let people prepare

The Christmas conundrum on 13:39 - Nov 18 with 1660 viewsBluefish

The Christmas conundrum on 13:38 - Nov 18 by itfcjoe

No probs - it's easily done.

I think the main problem is everyone needs a bit of clarity to plan and prepare, it almost needs to be announced it will be a free for all, or it will be under tiered restrictions.

I appreciate it isn't that easy, but sometimes it's just better to deliver bad news early to let people prepare

Agreed

The Christmas conundrum on 13:39 - Nov 18 with 1668 viewsitfcjoe

The Christmas conundrum on 13:36 - Nov 18 by Illinoisblue

We just canceled our thanksgiving and Xmas hosting plans due to the county putting an emergency order in place banning mass gatherings. What a year. Although quite looking forward to a quiet Xmas

My in-laws are away, I'm hoping we can have dinner with my parents and that my sister will ser in-laws - which keeps everything under 6 which is the tier level we were at and plan is to presumably return to

The Christmas conundrum on 13:43 - Nov 18 with 1647 viewsDyland

Ridiculous idea. People really need to stop being such massive twannies, and suck it up.

The kids will still get their presents, notwithstanding economic hardship but that is off point. Peeps will still get to listen to carols/trough and quaff fine fayre/whatever.

Elderly peeps on their own should make their own risk determination and visit another household, regardless of the rules.

Everyone else do a zoom or call each other ffs. And see each other more safely in a few months, instead of fueling a never ending chain of hospital crises.

"Do Christmas in January...."

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024