Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers 09:23 - Dec 9 with 1053 viewsthebooks

Barnsley. Bigger than us, I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2020/dec/09/barnsley-v

Just saying. I’m not saying oversees manager = good manager, but does show some imagination and ambition.
Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 09:51 - Dec 9 with 934 viewsTieDyedIn95

Ours was Paul Hurst. Imagination and reality work very differently.

The next Town boss needs to be someone with some experience and backbone in this league, not only to get the best out of our existing players but tough enough to deal with the harsh realities of life at this level and not have a meltdown at the press after losing a couple of games.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 09:57 - Dec 9 with 903 viewsOsborneOneNil

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 09:51 - Dec 9 by TieDyedIn95

The next Town boss needs to be someone with some experience and backbone in this league, not only to get the best out of our existing players but tough enough to deal with the harsh realities of life at this level and not have a meltdown at the press after losing a couple of games.

Paul Cook, you mean?
Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:09 - Dec 9 with 880 viewsjayessess

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 09:51 - Dec 9 by TieDyedIn95

Not sure that appointing the League One manager of the year required much imagination on the part of a mid-table Championship side, really.

Most managerial appointments ultimately don't work out - the current average stint is 1 year 144 days in post - so I don't think there's any guarantees, even with an experienced campaigner. The main obstacle to appointing a foreign coach is probably not that L1 has some special characteristics that are only knowable if you've been there before, but that a club of our current stature isn't much of a draw to be uprooting your life and moving overseas for. There's a reason why every manager in our division is British or Irish born.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 10:19]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:16 - Dec 9 with 857 viewsSwansea_Blue

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:09 - Dec 9 by jayessess

Not sure that appointing the League One manager of the year required much imagination on the part of a mid-table Championship side, really.

Most managerial appointments ultimately don't work out - the current average stint is 1 year 144 days in post - so I don't think there's any guarantees, even with an experienced campaigner. The main obstacle to appointing a foreign coach is probably not that L1 has some special characteristics that are only knowable if you've been there before, but that a club of our current stature isn't much of a draw to be uprooting your life and moving overseas for. There's a reason why every manager in our division is British or Irish born.

I was going to post something similar, but you've saved me the trouble thanks. There was no imagination needed in Hurst's appointment.

Agree with the rest too. Some owner/boards have the knack of making good decisions so can shorten the odds, but there are certainly no guarantees. Maybe the closest to certainty is us continually choosing poorly!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:21 - Dec 9 with 819 viewsKeno

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:16 - Dec 9 by Swansea_Blue

I was going to post something similar, but you've saved me the trouble thanks. There was no imagination needed in Hurst's appointment.

Agree with the rest too. Some owner/boards have the knack of making good decisions so can shorten the odds, but there are certainly no guarantees. Maybe the closest to certainty is us continually choosing poorly!

The imaginative appointment would have been the dutch bloke or Shefki & Pablo

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:25 - Dec 9 with 803 viewsjayessess

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:16 - Dec 9 by Swansea_Blue

It doesn't strike me that Evans' criteria for appointments is particularly rigorous, which might explain the 1 in 5 success rate.

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:26 - Dec 9 with 798 viewsElderGrizzly

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:21 - Dec 9 by Keno

The imaginative appointment would have been the dutch bloke or Shefki & Pablo

“One of our own” is probably the laziest type of appointment a club can make
Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:30 - Dec 9 with 778 viewsKeno

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:26 - Dec 9 by ElderGrizzly

maybe but it would have different as Pablo could have coached the home games but obviously he isnt any good at away games so Shefki would have done those

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:32 - Dec 9 with 769 viewsjayessess

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:26 - Dec 9 by ElderGrizzly

I suppose there's a version of it that's not so lazy - investing in their coaching career, evaluating their abilities, discussing their ideas about football at length, eventually deciding that they merit taking a risk on?

But generally, yeah.

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:34 - Dec 9 with 769 viewspatrickswell

Nothing to see here really. Barnsley have been making overseas appointments regularly since at least late 2017.
Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:36 - Dec 9 with 748 viewsSwansea_Blue

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:25 - Dec 9 by jayessess

It doesn't strike me that Evans' criteria for appointments is particularly rigorous, which might explain the 1 in 5 success rate.

The main one seems to be 'must have achieved promotion'. That always used to be the case and Evans openly admitted it. So he's looking for a stamp of approval/mark of potential. I've always thought that's a weird approach which severely restricts the pool of applicants, and also suggests he can't spot potential. Maybe that's harsh, although his lack of success suggests it probably isn't.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:44 - Dec 9 with 725 viewsjayessess

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:36 - Dec 9 by Swansea_Blue

The main one seems to be 'must have achieved promotion'. That always used to be the case and Evans openly admitted it. So he's looking for a stamp of approval/mark of potential. I've always thought that's a weird approach which severely restricts the pool of applicants, and also suggests he can't spot potential. Maybe that's harsh, although his lack of success suggests it probably isn't.

Rather narrow too. Lambert had 2 promotions, but what we needed at the time was a coach and an organiser, which I don't think anyone thought those were his strengths, even at the time.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 10:49]

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:47 - Dec 9 with 715 viewsFrimleyBlue

Imaginative managerial appointment from Premier League highflyers on 10:09 - Dec 9 by jayessess

Said at the time though Evans barely did his homework on Hurst. His second half of season performance wasn't that great at all. He should never have been interviewed for such a job. Massive difference league 1 to championship as he found when the likes of Nolan etc looked well out of place.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024