Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone know their employement law? 19:54 - Feb 25 with 1632 viewschrismakin

So, last month I signed a different job spec as requested by the company as the one originally signed didn't cover all the taks i'd been doing since I started here in November and it would make me fall in line with the other 2 Porters.

I received a letter today to say that they've received my signed document and can confirm the new job spec starts 1st March and as such my probation would therefore now be extended for another 3 months to June.

Can they do this? i'm not doing anything different from what i've been doing since I started in November, my probation was due to be completed next week. There is literally nothing in the new spec that's any different to what i've been doing since i started here.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:00 - Feb 25 with 1560 viewsLord_Lucan

1/ Is it actually a different job (title)

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:02 - Feb 25 with 1549 viewschrismakin

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:00 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

1/ Is it actually a different job (title)

Title yes, job role no

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:08 - Feb 25 with 1516 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:02 - Feb 25 by chrismakin

Title yes, job role no

Well I of course don't know - but I asked because my Scum in Law has just had a promotion although it is in fact the same job - however they have changed the job title and given him a raise. Basically it's something along the lines of that there were 2 x deputy managers but they have got rid of one of them and changed the title to assistant manager - or something like that.

Anyhoo - even though he is highly regarded and his job is safe and he has been with them for 20 years he now has to do a months probation****

*****Don't listen to me anyway, I'm already getting challenged over my opprobrium comments.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 20:08]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:09 - Feb 25 with 1507 viewsKeno

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:08 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

Well I of course don't know - but I asked because my Scum in Law has just had a promotion although it is in fact the same job - however they have changed the job title and given him a raise. Basically it's something along the lines of that there were 2 x deputy managers but they have got rid of one of them and changed the title to assistant manager - or something like that.

Anyhoo - even though he is highly regarded and his job is safe and he has been with them for 20 years he now has to do a months probation****

*****Don't listen to me anyway, I'm already getting challenged over my opprobrium comments.

Wheres Bully when you need him?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:10 - Feb 25 with 1498 viewsWD19

They can extend your probation if they like anyway. Irrespective of job title and any change.
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:11 - Feb 25 with 1495 viewsjeera

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:08 - Feb 25 by Lord_Lucan

What you done this time?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:11 - Feb 25 with 1494 viewsChurchman

That sounds well out of order. Cheeky sods! Better people than me on here will advise on employment law I’m sure.

However, the reality is that you will probably have to go with it for now or run the risk of being let go. Whether that’s a real risk, you’ve probably got a feel for. As a basic principle, it’s always easier to find a new job when in work than out of it and in the meantime an opportunity within the company may arise.

There’s no mileage in burning bridges prematurely however awful an employer is. The current work climate is as bad as its been in years and that too is a factor, along with your circumstances etc.

That’s just my view - I’m sure others will challenge and add their thoughts.
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:12 - Feb 25 with 1489 viewsjeera

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:09 - Feb 25 by Keno

Wheres Bully when you need him?

I wonder if he still reads the board.

Do any of the posters know him irl?

Guthrum lives that side of the country doesn't he?

They all know each other over there I'm sure.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:14 - Feb 25 with 1469 viewschrismakin

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:10 - Feb 25 by WD19

They can extend your probation if they like anyway. Irrespective of job title and any change.

I know they can but by providing a reason which usually would be performance related.

But to just extend it because THEY asked us to sign a new job spec seems wrong

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:14 - Feb 25 with 1463 viewsKeno

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:12 - Feb 25 by jeera

I miss Bully, didn't always agree with him but he was always worth taking note of

The board is poorer without him
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 20:18]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:14 - Feb 25 with 1461 viewsWD19

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:12 - Feb 25 by jeera

He disappeared from the internet about the same time Eddie Howes Bournemouth IT account was disabled.
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:16 - Feb 25 with 1450 viewschrismakin

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:11 - Feb 25 by Churchman

That sounds well out of order. Cheeky sods! Better people than me on here will advise on employment law I’m sure.

However, the reality is that you will probably have to go with it for now or run the risk of being let go. Whether that’s a real risk, you’ve probably got a feel for. As a basic principle, it’s always easier to find a new job when in work than out of it and in the meantime an opportunity within the company may arise.

There’s no mileage in burning bridges prematurely however awful an employer is. The current work climate is as bad as its been in years and that too is a factor, along with your circumstances etc.

That’s just my view - I’m sure others will challenge and add their thoughts.

Yeah i've got no issues here, enjoy what I do, have had great feedback, It;s just for me the extension of the probation delays employment benefits like Pension contributions etc doesn't it? that's my concern
Was hoping to get on board with the cycle to work scheme etc

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:17 - Feb 25 with 1440 viewsChiefXL

Hi, Mrs Chiefy here. He’s foolishly given me control of his account but I may be able to help.

I have a couple of questions re the changes to your role?

1. Were you told that agreeing to changes would mean extending your probationary period?
2. What was the initial probationary period?

Now what can I put on here to embarrass Mr Chief?
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:18 - Feb 25 with 1429 viewsjeera

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:14 - Feb 25 by WD19

He disappeared from the internet about the same time Eddie Howes Bournemouth IT account was disabled.

Are you suggesting they were never seen in the same room?

I like Bully, like Keno, Bully and I didn't always agree but I respected his values.

I really want to know how the pizza oven turned out.

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:21 - Feb 25 with 1406 viewschrismakin

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:17 - Feb 25 by ChiefXL

Hi, Mrs Chiefy here. He’s foolishly given me control of his account but I may be able to help.

1. Were you told that agreeing to changes would mean extending your probationary period?

Hi Mrs Chiefy

1 - Not at all, I was asked to sign the new spec just so all 3 of us were signed up to the same spec - basically they lost 1 porter and when they hired a new one, they for some reason called him a General Assistant so we're now all ' general assistants'

2 - 3 months i started on 30th November 2020, I even had an email last Friday to let me know my probation completion meeting was due soon and to arrange it with my line manager

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:23 - Feb 25 with 1382 viewsChurchman

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:16 - Feb 25 by chrismakin

Yeah i've got no issues here, enjoy what I do, have had great feedback, It;s just for me the extension of the probation delays employment benefits like Pension contributions etc doesn't it? that's my concern
Was hoping to get on board with the cycle to work scheme etc

It’s really poor, but you are where you are and it’s about now and the future. If you enjoy it, stay with it for now would be my take on it. If you query it, do so in a positive way - I doubt it is a ‘war’ you can win. Just a view based on instinct and experience. Others may disagree and it’ll ultimately come down to how you feel.
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:25 - Feb 25 with 1372 viewsChiefXL

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:21 - Feb 25 by chrismakin

Hi Mrs Chiefy

1 - Not at all, I was asked to sign the new spec just so all 3 of us were signed up to the same spec - basically they lost 1 porter and when they hired a new one, they for some reason called him a General Assistant so we're now all ' general assistants'

2 - 3 months i started on 30th November 2020, I even had an email last Friday to let me know my probation completion meeting was due soon and to arrange it with my line manager

If you DM your email to chiefxl I can advise. I’m in HR
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:25 - Feb 25 with 1374 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:17 - Feb 25 by ChiefXL

Is he perhaps more an XS type of guy rather than an XL type of guy?

This is a safe, caring environment and he'll get all the help and support he needs.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:26 - Feb 25 with 1371 viewsParamedic

Does your original contract state that they can extend your probationary period for any reason.If not I would ask for a meeting with HR and raise your concerns. It may well just be an error on their behalf.

AllalallalSunderland

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:29 - Feb 25 with 1357 viewsChiefXL

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:25 - Feb 25 by factual_blue

Is he perhaps more an XS type of guy rather than an XL type of guy?

This is a safe, caring environment and he'll get all the help and support he needs.

Bell end

Yes I've taken back control
Anyone know their employement law? on 20:32 - Feb 25 with 1336 viewschrismakin

Anyone know their employement law? on 20:25 - Feb 25 by ChiefXL

If you DM your email to chiefxl I can advise. I’m in HR

Thank you

Anyone know their employement law? on 21:48 - Feb 25 with 1223 viewsSmithersJones

Can they? Yes, and you have no right to claim unfair dismissal (except in very specific circumstances like cases of discrimination) for the first two years. Should they? Different question.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024