Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans 08:14 - Apr 6 with 1764 viewshype313

Whilst it's admirable he gives his managers free reign to work upon thier own accord, I can't help but think if we had a proper structure, a DOF in place then we wouldn't have so many bang average players on long term contracts.

Emyr Huws, where was the person to even play devil's advocate and say "Are you sure it's a wise move to offer someone a 4 year contract given they have had one season in the past ten where they have played more than 25 games?

Or "Ok you want to spend £1.6m on Jackson, but where does he fit in in your lineup?

Or "Are all these loans vastly better than what we already have?

And what concerns me going forward is the fact that we are about to embark on a complete squad clear out and swap out and we're gambling on Cook to make it a success. Everybody knows the Cowley's were my number one choice, and I'm not disappointed with Cook, but we're putting all our eggs and future success down to one man.

Forgive me if I'm slightly fearful.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:17 - Apr 6 with 1741 viewsDanTheMan

Even if it wasn't Cook, gambling on any manager to run the everything from top to bottom is nonsense in this day and age.

At some point we're going to run out of managers who are even used to working in this way.

I do hope part of these grand changes that are going to be announced is a DoF. I doubt it will be, probably be we're using footballs in training now.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:21 - Apr 6 with 1720 viewshype313

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:17 - Apr 6 by DanTheMan

Even if it wasn't Cook, gambling on any manager to run the everything from top to bottom is nonsense in this day and age.

At some point we're going to run out of managers who are even used to working in this way.

I do hope part of these grand changes that are going to be announced is a DoF. I doubt it will be, probably be we're using footballs in training now.

Indeed, if Evans isn't selling (and I very much believe this to be true) them something else has to dramatically change.

We are facing huge changes within the squad, and rightly so given a large number of dreadful performances, but to trust Cook to swap out a mid table team into a promotion chasing team in one window makes me a little concerned...

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:23 - Apr 6 with 1712 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think the hands off approach from Evans is a major factor in the general attitude of the players.

The Cobbolds and Sheepy travelled with the players, knew them all personally and had great banter with them. I remember Sheepy taking the piss out of Owen Garvan wearing a thick winter coat a couple of hours bore our game against Hull in one of the hottest days of the year.

I may be wrong but Evans seems very isolated from the playing staff. There is no connection. The players are comfortable and know that if they don’t perform it will be the manager sacked. It’s an easy life.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:26 - Apr 6 with 1705 viewshype313

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:23 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

I think the hands off approach from Evans is a major factor in the general attitude of the players.

The Cobbolds and Sheepy travelled with the players, knew them all personally and had great banter with them. I remember Sheepy taking the piss out of Owen Garvan wearing a thick winter coat a couple of hours bore our game against Hull in one of the hottest days of the year.

I may be wrong but Evans seems very isolated from the playing staff. There is no connection. The players are comfortable and know that if they don’t perform it will be the manager sacked. It’s an easy life.

The whole squad malaise and complete disenfranchised mentality is down to the fact that Evans doesn't demand success, it's all nice to have, potential green shoots etc

A nice little club where you can earn a decent pension fund in a lovely quiet spot in the country.

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:57 - Apr 6 with 1650 viewsGuthrum

The person Evans relied upon to do that was the manager. The way things used to be done forty years ago. It's probably no coincidence that the most successful practitioner of that was Mick McCarthy, the man who'd been around the block, several times. A man with an ethos of taking care with the budget.

Unfortunately, too often that situation nowadays becomes one where managers are not getting the oversight and boundaries they are used to in the modern game, so, like ill-disciplined children, either splurge self-idulgently (or desperately, when things start going wrong), or they throw their toys out of the pram. It's putting most modern coaches outside of their comfort zone, giving them responsibilities they are not used to.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:23 - Apr 6 with 1600 viewsGarv

I'm sure Cook is a decent manager, but I can only see him going the same way as Jewell, Keane and Lambert while ME is still in charge.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:28 - Apr 6 with 1594 viewsRegencyBlue

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 08:57 - Apr 6 by Guthrum

The person Evans relied upon to do that was the manager. The way things used to be done forty years ago. It's probably no coincidence that the most successful practitioner of that was Mick McCarthy, the man who'd been around the block, several times. A man with an ethos of taking care with the budget.

Unfortunately, too often that situation nowadays becomes one where managers are not getting the oversight and boundaries they are used to in the modern game, so, like ill-disciplined children, either splurge self-idulgently (or desperately, when things start going wrong), or they throw their toys out of the pram. It's putting most modern coaches outside of their comfort zone, giving them responsibilities they are not used to.

I’m not buying all of that!

Anyone who thinks Lambert set out to recruit Ward and Hawkins as his first choice signings for this season is mistaken in my view. Their recruitment would have been down to Evans financial restrictions.
A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:46 - Apr 6 with 1546 viewsdavblue

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:23 - Apr 6 by Garv

I'm sure Cook is a decent manager, but I can only see him going the same way as Jewell, Keane and Lambert while ME is still in charge.

yeah i agree, im fearful for him here.

We won't get deals done quickly and we will be scrabbling around towards the deadline day bringing in more loans rather than building a team to go forwards.
Login to get fewer ads

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:52 - Apr 6 with 1528 viewsArnieM

Id suggest this abject squad is down to LAMBERT...its the manager who states which players he wants to bring in and to keep. And I recall quite clearly when Lambert came in that he made no effort to cull the dead wood at that point. This is not Evans fault , its lamberts fault .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 11:00 - Apr 6 with 1515 viewsGlasgowBlue

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:52 - Apr 6 by ArnieM

Id suggest this abject squad is down to LAMBERT...its the manager who states which players he wants to bring in and to keep. And I recall quite clearly when Lambert came in that he made no effort to cull the dead wood at that point. This is not Evans fault , its lamberts fault .

Every time Lambert came to Evans with a list of players, he was knocked back and told to shop in he basement. That's why we had so many loans.

Evans doesn't like paying fees. He'd rather the money went on wages.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 11:12 - Apr 6 with 1488 viewsGuthrum

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:28 - Apr 6 by RegencyBlue

Anyone who thinks Lambert set out to recruit Ward and Hawkins as his first choice signings for this season is mistaken in my view. Their recruitment would have been down to Evans financial restrictions.

Indeed. But that was the only restriction placed upon the Manager (same as it was in Robson's day). But Lambert had probably never learnt the skill of finding decent players for no money in the way McCarthy could. Nowadays that's all down to the DoF or Chief Executive.

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 11:16 - Apr 6 with 1488 viewsitfcjoe

There is no over-arching strategy with regards to squad building and recruitment - and it takes a manager with the rights set of b0llocks to back himself and run it properly

The self belief to know what they want to achieve, what they look for in players, and the ability to recruit the right players (and to not recruit the wrong ones to fill gaps in the squad). Mick knew what he wanted - high character, hard working players in the main with a couple of players with real quality to add the stardust. Paul Cook knows the sort of players he wants so hopefully will recruit to that.

Lambert never had a philosophy, bar pretending that he always wanted passing players and full backs who bomb on and then recruiting this summer a target man with a bang average touch and a 35 year old left back.

Hurst signed players as though he was still in charge of Shrewsbury and they had been promoted.

I believe Cook will get the right players in, and he is fortunate that covid has decimated the lower leagues so there will be a huge swathe of players available at cheap or knockdown fees even if they aren't freebies.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 12:21 - Apr 6 with 1421 viewsGuthrum

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 11:00 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

Every time Lambert came to Evans with a list of players, he was knocked back and told to shop in he basement. That's why we had so many loans.

However, Lambert should have known that - certainly after the first time. If he then kept presenting too-expensive wishlists, that's a fairly fundamental failing in that aspect of his role.

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 12:29 - Apr 6 with 1401 viewsJon_456

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 11:00 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

To be fair to ME, didnt Lambert include Connor Wickham on his list of targets when we were League One? Can hardly blame Evans for not getting those sort of players with the money they're on.
A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 12:35 - Apr 6 with 1391 viewsistanblue

This is the main reason why Evans needs to go. Good to see other fans finally waking up to it as well.
A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 12:37 - Apr 6 with 1384 viewsjayessess

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 10:28 - Apr 6 by RegencyBlue

Find it hard to believe this league is full of left backs on bigger wages that Ward or backup forwards on bigger wages than Hawkins.

And if he needed more than the budget could accommodate, why not move on Skuse, Edwards, Nolan or Jackson and add their wages/fees to the pile?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

A lot of this abject squad is on Marcus Evans on 13:34 - Apr 6 with 1330 viewsRadlett_blue

We tried the re-set with a manager who had experienced success in the lower leagues less than 3 years ago, didn't we? His name was Paul Hurst. None of his signings were anything like good value for money & the whole squad was disrupted & divided.
We are now going to try the same recipe with a different Cook. That doesn't mean it can't work & we are one division lower, but getting rid of 20+ professionals & bringing in 10 or so new players will mean moulding the new squad into an effective team will be a major task. However, the sooner this process starts the better so that the new players can be properly integrated through the whole of pre-season. This is likely to be easier if Town don't make the play offs, but unfortunately Cook has to keep talking this up, whatever he might think privately.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024