Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As a comparison 12:31 - Apr 8 with 1667 viewsCheltenham_Blue

When Michael Eisner bought Portsmouth in 2017, he paid £5.6m.

If you are into a club for £40m you would think you are in it for the long term.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

As a comparison on 12:34 - Apr 8 with 1593 viewsgreyhound

As a counter argument, for what's being acquired is 40 million even a lot of money. You could win the euro millions, buy the club and have funds to do what you want with (purchase drinans)

When you look at player values elsewhere it does show there is little intrinsic value in our squad
As a comparison on 12:38 - Apr 8 with 1554 viewsRadioOrwell

Surely there is only any point in doing this to get into the Premiership. That is literally the only way they will view this as a success.
I read something that Brett J said about getting into US football being relatively easy.
The Premiership is very hard.
40m is a lot but it is a modest investment if their plan works.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 12:46]
As a comparison on 12:40 - Apr 8 with 1523 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As a comparison on 12:34 - Apr 8 by greyhound

As a counter argument, for what's being acquired is 40 million even a lot of money. You could win the euro millions, buy the club and have funds to do what you want with (purchase drinans)

When you look at player values elsewhere it does show there is little intrinsic value in our squad

I don't know. The intrinsic value within a squad is always a fluid thing and depends entirely on what buying clubs are prepared to pay for players.

It was an interesting headline where nodge fans were claiming they have players of greater value than our whole club. I am sure there are plenty of clubs where the value of their squad on paper is more than anyone would pay to own the club. If you sold the top performers at a club and wanted the club to continue to perform at the same level, you would need to replace them at a similar cost or find bargains that work out. It would take a special sort of asset stripping to sell all the asset at top price and walk away from a club leaving it with nothing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

As a comparison on 12:43 - Apr 8 with 1476 viewsStokieBlue

The scale of the clubs is totally different, historically, in infrastructure and in average attendance when doing well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

As a comparison on 14:34 - Apr 8 with 1196 viewsBluedandy

You only have to look at how quickly Sheff Utd went from League 1 to the top flight to see why these Americans want to get involved.

For all the years of frustration and failure under ME, Ipswich Town still represents a golden opportunity to create a sustainable Premier League club at an affordable price.

We are a regional club with a great heritage and fantastic catchment area that's been starved of meaningful success for far too long.

In the right hands, we can take off and for any serious investor Town offer much more upside potential than the likes of Fulham, Watford, Burnley, Brighton or Palace.
As a comparison on 14:50 - Apr 8 with 1128 viewsHerbivore

Got to be honest, when I saw the £40m figure I was quite surprised. I was expecting more like half of that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

As a comparison on 08:11 - Apr 9 with 763 viewsradiogaga

In addition to the points raised above, the circumstances at Portsmouth were very different to ours.

When Eisner purchased the club, the club's majority shareholders were a supporters trust (around 2.5k fans put c£2.5m together to do that, so basically £1k per trust member) as opposed to us who had a highly wealthy individual. Evans also paid a considerable amount more to acquire us, so naturally the sell on value would also be much greater.

Portsmouth also lost an awful lot of assets from their various administrations of recent times. I believe at one point, they had to even sell their training ground to raise money. Fratton Park also needed a fair bit of maintenance work done to it I think (considerably more than PR even) which will naturally have lowered the value.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 8:12]

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

As a comparison on 08:28 - Apr 9 with 701 viewsxrayspecs

£40m is the cost of acquiring the club. Funding the club as it hopefully progresses up the leagues will cost a lot more on top. ME was supposedly providing circa £5-6m per season over recent years, and yet we have gone backwards as a club.
Login to get fewer ads

As a comparison on 08:30 - Apr 9 with 694 viewsStokieBlue

As a comparison on 08:28 - Apr 9 by xrayspecs

£40m is the cost of acquiring the club. Funding the club as it hopefully progresses up the leagues will cost a lot more on top. ME was supposedly providing circa £5-6m per season over recent years, and yet we have gone backwards as a club.

Why do you say "supposedly"?

He clearly was providing that level of support.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

As a comparison on 08:34 - Apr 9 with 668 viewsSwansea_Blue

As a comparison on 14:50 - Apr 8 by Herbivore

Got to be honest, when I saw the £40m figure I was quite surprised. I was expecting more like half of that.

Yeah, me too. I hope that doesn't show a lack of commercial acumen or we're stuffed. The only way they'll make a return is to sell in the PL. I wouldn't have thought anything else will generate the increase in value they'd need, especially if they're going to be spending more on top to get the place ship shape.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024