Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
cat 1 Academy 16:10 - May 5 with 2029 viewschrismakin

With KD talking about a lack of 'prem' quality youths coming through, clearly CAT 1 is a must for this to happen isn't it?

if so, does anyone know (Phil maybe) what we need to become Cat 1 that we don't have now?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

cat 1 Academy on 16:14 - May 5 with 1987 viewsCoastalblue

Premiership status probably, it's going to be made incredibly hard for us to get Cat 1 otherwise I believe, some people wouldn't want us to have it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

cat 1 Academy on 16:15 - May 5 with 1981 viewsCheltenham_Blue

cat 1 Academy on 16:14 - May 5 by Coastalblue

Premiership status probably, it's going to be made incredibly hard for us to get Cat 1 otherwise I believe, some people wouldn't want us to have it.

I think you are right. I think the rules have now been adjusted to make it virtually impossible without Premier league status.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

cat 1 Academy on 16:17 - May 5 with 1964 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't, to be honest, in part as the rules change pretty much every year. It was something which the club was hoping to do prior to the pandemic, however, although I don't think it would have been possible in League One. It may well be something which is viewed as more doable with the new money behind us.
cat 1 Academy on 16:20 - May 5 with 1930 viewschrismakin

cat 1 Academy on 16:17 - May 5 by PhilTWTD

I don't, to be honest, in part as the rules change pretty much every year. It was something which the club was hoping to do prior to the pandemic, however, although I don't think it would have been possible in League One. It may well be something which is viewed as more doable with the new money behind us.

cheers Phil, without it, what do you think we need to do to change the Academy to produce better players.. I think I read streamlining it on here somewhere although I don't really know what that means.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 16:28]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

cat 1 Academy on 16:27 - May 5 with 1883 viewstractorboy1978

I guess the problem we have whether we are Cat 1 or not is that the bigger clubs can just poach our best kids for next to nothing.
cat 1 Academy on 16:28 - May 5 with 1879 viewsPhilTWTD

cat 1 Academy on 16:20 - May 5 by chrismakin

cheers Phil, without it, what do you think we need to do to change the Academy to produce better players.. I think I read streamlining it on here somewhere although I don't really know what that means.
[Post edited 5 May 2021 16:28]

I don't think you can streamline it and keep cat two status. The grants from the Premier League are dependent on investment being at a particular level. I think the overall cost at present is about £2 million a year.
cat 1 Academy on 16:33 - May 5 with 1844 viewsFreddy

I think its judged on facilities at the training ground & academy structure plus costs about 3m a year.

Mainly for Premier and there's about 10 championship clubs that qualify as of 2020 might have changed now
cat 1 Academy on 16:37 - May 5 with 1806 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

with each year that passes Norwich and others release numerous playersarent we sifting around their castoffs?
Login to get fewer ads

cat 1 Academy on 16:44 - May 5 with 1769 viewsitfcjoe

cat 1 Academy on 16:15 - May 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think you are right. I think the rules have now been adjusted to make it virtually impossible without Premier league status.

Think that was excuses from the club - the last few clubs to go Cat 1 - Brighton, Leeds, Derby, Palace - all did so when in the championship (Palace excluded)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

cat 1 Academy on 16:59 - May 5 with 1680 viewsDurovigutum

cat 1 Academy on 16:27 - May 5 by tractorboy1978

I guess the problem we have whether we are Cat 1 or not is that the bigger clubs can just poach our best kids for next to nothing.

No, that's down to the money that Chelski and Citeh have. Sterling was poached from Liverpool by £. Chelsea pay certain U18 players more than we can pay senior players under the proposed League 1 salary cap - how can we hope to compete?
cat 1 Academy on 17:04 - May 5 with 1641 viewstractorboy1978

cat 1 Academy on 16:59 - May 5 by Durovigutum

No, that's down to the money that Chelski and Citeh have. Sterling was poached from Liverpool by £. Chelsea pay certain U18 players more than we can pay senior players under the proposed League 1 salary cap - how can we hope to compete?

That was my point.
cat 1 Academy on 17:18 - May 5 with 1580 viewsIllinoisblue

cat 1 Academy on 16:59 - May 5 by Durovigutum

I thought Liverpool ‘poached’ Sterling from QPR?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

cat 1 Academy on 17:41 - May 5 with 1494 viewsRegencyBlue

cat 1 Academy on 16:15 - May 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I’m not sure Premiership status is compulsory but it has been made very difficult to achieve.

Another master stroke by Evans who didn’t go for CAT 1 status at the start of the system to save a few quid. Once he realised his mistake it was too late!
cat 1 Academy on 17:54 - May 5 with 1437 viewsCoastalblue

cat 1 Academy on 17:41 - May 5 by RegencyBlue

I’m not sure Premiership status is compulsory but it has been made very difficult to achieve.

Another master stroke by Evans who didn’t go for CAT 1 status at the start of the system to save a few quid. Once he realised his mistake it was too late!

I thought he did, and we invested massively to just miss out by less than a percentage point or something daft?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

cat 1 Academy on 17:59 - May 5 with 1414 viewsPhilTWTD

cat 1 Academy on 17:54 - May 5 by Coastalblue

I thought he did, and we invested massively to just miss out by less than a percentage point or something daft?

Indeed, 0.3 per cent. Main issue was the number of academy players who had made first-team appearance in the previous five seasons.
cat 1 Academy on 18:44 - May 5 with 1240 viewsRegencyBlue

cat 1 Academy on 17:54 - May 5 by Coastalblue

Eventually he did but initially.........

Clegg: We've Got It Right on Academy 8th May 2012 16:58
Chief executive Simon Clegg is confident that Town have made the right decision to opt for Academy Category Two status in the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) reorganisation of youth football which takes place this summer. The Blues submitted their Category Two application prior to the end-of-April deadline. 28

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024