Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking ahead at the Euros 08:48 - Jun 10 with 2389 viewsbluelagos

So if we win our group we play the runner up in the France/Germany/Portugal/Hungary.

Come second and it's the runner up of Spain/Sweden/Slovakia/Poland

So an easier route to the QF if are runners up. Think I'll be hoping for a draw on Sunday vs Croatia and then hope they get getter goal difference than we do vs Scotland and Czech.

What you reckon?

(Lots of assumptions / arrogance etc, but realistically it should be between us and Croatia for top spot if we turn up)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:03 - Jun 10 with 2182 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Well it's a truism perhaps but if we are to win the tournament then we will have to beat the better teams at some stage. On that basis I try not to get too drawn into things like "it's better to finish second in the group" etc.

We will hopefully make the knockout stages then it's proper cup football. Play our game and fear nobody.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:05 - Jun 10 with 2174 viewsOldsmoker

BCWYWF
I would like the same.
However, the Tabloid meltdown that comes with every England tournament is easily fuelled by such tactical thinking. The headlines for the result against Scotland (if England win) could advance Scottish independence by some years.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:11 - Jun 10 with 2147 viewswkj

It is easier, but if we have any right to win the tournament - we're going to have to beat the teams that are the most challenging any way. If we can't do it early and ride the wave to the cup, we really don't deserve to win it at all.

We're there to play the best teams in Europe, if we're to win the cup, we have to beat them and be mentally up to the challenge of beating them.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:12 - Jun 10 with 2148 viewsTractorCam

Nooooo.

Flashbacks for 2016 when it was "let's hope we get runners up so we play Iceland rather than Belgium, ha ha unlucky Wales"

We have to beat the best to be the best, coming 2nd in our fairly average group would not give me any expectation of winning the tournament as we obviously would have slipped up somewhere, and obviously not intentionally.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:12 - Jun 10 with 2147 viewsbluelagos

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:05 - Jun 10 by Oldsmoker

BCWYWF
I would like the same.
However, the Tabloid meltdown that comes with every England tournament is easily fuelled by such tactical thinking. The headlines for the result against Scotland (if England win) could advance Scottish independence by some years.

We'll have no discussions on Scots nationalism on a football thread Oldsmoker :-)

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:12 - Jun 10 with 2147 viewsSaigonTractor

I'd rather convincingly beat everyone in the groups and win it, than think tactically to finish second.

Obviously that's a big ask, but I think it's better for our mentality and confidence if we do.

Croatia are not the same team that made the final in 2018. Most of their back line is out injured. If England can't beat them then we won't be going far.
Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:16 - Jun 10 with 2123 viewsOldsmoker

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:12 - Jun 10 by bluelagos

We'll have no discussions on Scots nationalism on a football thread Oldsmoker :-)

Found out!
My attempts to turn this thread into a political discussion about the state of the union have failed.
I shall try the Brexit angle instead on another thread. Might have more luck with that.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:35 - Jun 10 with 2083 viewsfarkenhell

Don't know how much difference it makes, but if we win our group, our next game is at Wembley, whereas if we finish second, we play in Copenhagen.

(...and I can even tell you the dates and times of both from Gav's fixture list!)
Login to get fewer ads

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:44 - Jun 10 with 2053 viewscvillageblue

A lot of arrogance yes!!

I can just about remember how the Group B table finished in the last tournament.

FWIW I think you'll find the Czechs are a good side. My own opinion is that England will start slow but do well in the tournament.

Blog: Was It Worth It?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:49 - Jun 10 with 2034 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The Czechs are probably a better side than Croatia. England will win the group before being dumped out by France/Portugal/Germany.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:56 - Jun 10 with 2022 viewsTractorCam

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:49 - Jun 10 by The_Last_Baron

The Czechs are probably a better side than Croatia. England will win the group before being dumped out by France/Portugal/Germany.

In contrary to everyone else, I have Scotland advancing!

England 9
Scotland 4
Croatia 2
Czech 1

England to beat Portugal, Spain, Denmark and then France for the trophy.

You'll all see!

Looking ahead at the Euros on 10:05 - Jun 10 with 2002 viewscvillageblue

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:56 - Jun 10 by TractorCam

England 9
Scotland 4
Croatia 2
Czech 1

You'll all see!

Czechs outplayed Wales for large parts in March and also gained a good draw v Belgium I can see them coming second with Croatia bottom

Blog: Was It Worth It?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 10:07 - Jun 10 with 1993 viewsTractorCam

Looking ahead at the Euros on 10:05 - Jun 10 by cvillageblue

Czechs outplayed Wales for large parts in March and also gained a good draw v Belgium I can see them coming second with Croatia bottom

But we also plastered them 5-0, albeit they did beat us in Prague.

I'm going with some key home advantage for Scotland.

Looking ahead at the Euros on 10:16 - Jun 10 with 1971 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:56 - Jun 10 by TractorCam

England 9
Scotland 4
Croatia 2
Czech 1

You'll all see!

It's a long time since England won all three group games and it isn't happening this time. I can see the Czechs getting at least a draw and Scotland won't be an easy game.

Looking ahead at the Euros on 11:14 - Jun 10 with 1918 viewsbluelagos

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:12 - Jun 10 by TractorCam

Nooooo.

Flashbacks for 2016 when it was "let's hope we get runners up so we play Iceland rather than Belgium, ha ha unlucky Wales"

We have to beat the best to be the best, coming 2nd in our fairly average group would not give me any expectation of winning the tournament as we obviously would have slipped up somewhere, and obviously not intentionally.

Blimey yeah. I know I wasn't alone in thinking we'd beat Iceland. Think was, it wasn't just that they beat us, they thoroughly deserved to, playing us off the park in many aspects.

Looking ahead at the Euros on 11:25 - Jun 10 with 1900 viewsm14_blue

Looking ahead at the Euros on 10:16 - Jun 10 by The_Last_Baron

It's a long time since England won all three group games and it isn't happening this time. I can see the Czechs getting at least a draw and Scotland won't be an easy game.

I have a feeling Scotland could surprise a few and do something similar to Wales in 2016.

England will do ok I reckon but there are a lot of good teams in Europe at the moment.

In contrast, I can see Wales struggling massively.
Looking ahead at the Euros on 11:32 - Jun 10 with 1886 viewsTractorJack

It was a good decision in the last world cup to play a weaker team in the final group game against Belguim. If the opportunity came up again we should take it.
Looking ahead at the Euros on 11:47 - Jun 10 with 1863 viewstractordownsouth

Looking ahead at the Euros on 09:12 - Jun 10 by TractorCam

Nooooo.

Point of order: Wales played Northern Ireland in the last 16 and then Belgium in the QFs.

I agree with your general point though - I'd much rather win all 3 group games to give us momentum heading into the last 16, especially so with our game at Wembley if we win the group.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Looking ahead at the Euros on 12:13 - Jun 10 with 1837 viewstractordownsouth

Looking ahead at the Euros on 10:05 - Jun 10 by cvillageblue

Czechs are flying in from Prague for every game because they aren't allowed to use the training base in Scotland they'd originally booked. Can't see them doing well with such bad preparation.

Looking ahead at the Euros on 12:36 - Jun 10 with 1803 viewsJackSted

Had a dream that:

England 0-1 Croatia
England 2-1 Scotland
England 0-0 Czech
Finish 2nd on 4 points

I'm so confident I even chucked £2.50 on it. It returns over £4.5k lol

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Looking ahead at the Euros on 13:11 - Jun 10 with 1763 viewsIpswichKnight

We are more than good enough to beat every team in this tournament. Teams are more worried about avoiding us than we are about avoiding them.
Looking ahead at the Euros on 13:14 - Jun 10 with 1752 viewsclive_baker

While that's true, the QF would likely be against that France / Germany / Portugal side anyway, so for the purposes of getting 1 game further I'm not sure we can be so cute about it. Also, if we win the group all of our games will be at Wembley, rather than an away knock out match.

For me, we'll play who we play, we need to go out and win every game we can. I would like to see us knock the Germans out.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Looking ahead at the Euros on 17:00 - Jun 10 with 1622 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Looking ahead at the Euros on 13:11 - Jun 10 by IpswichKnight

We are more than good enough to beat every team in this tournament. Teams are more worried about avoiding us than we are about avoiding them.

Nonsense. England would lose in a knock-out to France, Portugal. Spain, Holland, Germany, Italy and maybe even Switzerland.

England are a good side but once again are under the top bracket of international teams. The central midfield and defence are the weak spots which will be exploited by the better teams.

Looking ahead at the Euros on 17:20 - Jun 10 with 1595 viewsSaigonTractor

Looking ahead at the Euros on 17:00 - Jun 10 by The_Last_Baron

Nonsense. England would lose in a knock-out to France, Portugal. Spain, Holland, Germany, Italy and maybe even Switzerland.

England are a good side but once again are under the top bracket of international teams. The central midfield and defence are the weak spots which will be exploited by the better teams.

Massively pessimistic.

Holland have an awful manager and some huge injuries, and have already had some shocking performances in friendlies and WC qualifiers. Spain have already lost 2 players to Covid and are viewing this tournament as a bit of a rebuild. Similar situation with Germany. We should comfortably beat Switzerland.

France are quite easily the best team at the tournament still. England v Portugal or Italy is basically a coin flip if both teams turn up.
Looking ahead at the Euros on 19:55 - Jun 10 with 1502 viewstractordownsouth

Looking ahead at the Euros on 17:00 - Jun 10 by The_Last_Baron

The only teams I'd definitely put ahead of us are France, Portugal and Italy. We're roughly on par with Belgium (without KDB), Netherlands, Germany, Spain etc. It's just a shame that we're possibly going to run into France or Portugal in the last 16.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024