Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. 21:58 - Oct 12 with 2097 viewsOldboy

At the beginning of the match the presenter ask him if you play your best players regardless of position. Keane said absolutely.
He is so wrong. You play the best players in their best positions. I get that it was an experiment, but Keane thinks that you should shoehorn your best players in to the starting lineup. Guess that is why he is in the crowd and not in a dugout.
That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 22:17 - Oct 12 with 1980 viewsjudespiveyg

Wasn't there a game he lined up a 442 with 4 centre halves and 4 centre mids? I definitely remember Delaney being useless at left back.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 22:33 - Oct 12 with 1894 viewsBlueBadger

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 22:17 - Oct 12 by judespiveyg

Wasn't there a game he lined up a 442 with 4 centre halves and 4 centre mids? I definitely remember Delaney being useless at left back.

More than one.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 22:45 - Oct 12 with 1869 viewsGlasgowBlue

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 22:17 - Oct 12 by judespiveyg

So did Paul Jewell, Mick and Lambert.

The Delaney deal was done by Jim just before he was sacked. When we bought him he was QPR's left back. Keane played him in the position he was bought for and then converted him into a centre back. Jewell then released him and he went in to be a Premier League centre back.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 08:11 - Oct 13 with 1523 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, Watford away in October 2010. Town unsurprisingly had no width & were 2-0 down at half time. Even Keane could see this was a bad idea & eventually changed it, but we still lost 2-1.
That was during the depressing period when we played Watford 15 times & recorded 12 defeats & 3 draws. Not much fun for me when Watford is my nearest football club.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 08:46 - Oct 13 with 1431 viewsbelgablue

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 08:11 - Oct 13 by Radlett_blue

Yes, Watford away in October 2010. Town unsurprisingly had no width & were 2-0 down at half time. Even Keane could see this was a bad idea & eventually changed it, but we still lost 2-1.
That was during the depressing period when we played Watford 15 times & recorded 12 defeats & 3 draws. Not much fun for me when Watford is my nearest football club.

I hope you made it to the Chaplow stoppage time winner game a few years later!!?!?!

Absolute Limbs

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 09:02 - Oct 13 with 1370 viewsCrockerITFC

Yeah, definitely more than one, I seem to remember Tom Eastman at right-back and we also had games with Tommy Smith as left-back instead of Delaney.
That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 10:53 - Oct 13 with 1165 viewsGarv

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 08:11 - Oct 13 by Radlett_blue

And of those 12 defeats how many were 2-1? That's the only scoreline I've ever seen going to Vicarage Road.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 11:06 - Oct 13 with 1134 viewsChrisd

Old boy, I'm very much in agreement with you on this. All managers make this mistake, accommodating players, shoehorning them into the side and trying to overcomplicate matters, but I doubt really if it benefits the team overall. Play the best available players in their favoured positions and go from there.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 12:49]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 11:28 - Oct 13 with 1071 viewsChurchman

Agreed. I always remember the story of Alf Ramsey and Jack Charlton. He told him that he was not the best Centre Half, but he fitted how he wanted the team wanted to play.

Mr Ramsey did ok, didn’t he? I seem to remember he won the odd trophy, even if it was before football was invented in 1992 with the Premier League.

His press conferences were mildly amusing, but in truth I can’t abide Keane. He is only on tv because he is a piece of work; the boilerman. Good player in his day, but there it ended.
That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 11:43 - Oct 13 with 1033 viewsThe_Last_Baron

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 10:53 - Oct 13 by Garv

And of those 12 defeats how many were 2-1? That's the only scoreline I've ever seen going to Vicarage Road.

Before this 15 game run we had a decent record at Watford. Remember a fine 3-2 win in Graham Taylor's first match back as manager after being 2-0 down at half-time.

Also a 2-0 win under Joe Royle in 2002, a game which signalled our return to form after relegation and Burley being sacked.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 13:54 - Oct 13 with 852 viewsOldboy

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 11:43 - Oct 13 by The_Last_Baron

Before this 15 game run we had a decent record at Watford. Remember a fine 3-2 win in Graham Taylor's first match back as manager after being 2-0 down at half-time.

Also a 2-0 win under Joe Royle in 2002, a game which signalled our return to form after relegation and Burley being sacked.

We were at Vicarage Road late 80s maybe early 90s. P1ssed down all day and back then the away end had no roof. We had a right party. Out sang their lot all game. At the final whistle all the players and staff came over to us. Bl00dy great day.
0-0.
That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 14:26 - Oct 13 with 797 viewsGarv

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 11:43 - Oct 13 by The_Last_Baron

The Kuqi debut?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 15:50 - Oct 13 with 696 viewsRadlett_blue

That is why Roy Keane is such a rubbish manager. on 14:26 - Oct 13 by Garv

The Kuqi debut?

The Kuqi debut was September 2003. That was our 4th win in succession against Watford & we also thumped them 4-1 later in the season, courtesy of Dean Bowditch.
Yes, 10 of our 12 defeats against Watford is that depressing run were by the odd goal.
Yes I was there for St Chaplow's Day & still have a scar on my shin after tumbling over the seat in front.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024