Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census 12:27 - Jan 11 with 2611 viewsfactual_blue

My late mum's past was always a bit of a mystery. She appeared to have been raised by an 'aunt' (not in the Handmaid's Tale sense), but that was all I knew really.

After some delving and a lot of dead ends, I managed to track down her birth cert last year using Ancestry and ordering a copy.

Turns out she was illegitimate, which in 1914 was probably a bit tricky. Especially as her mum was married. The actual father's name is on the birth cert. I imagine this was so her husband wouldn't have any liability for the child.

Anyway, the 1921 Census shows her in Essex, a seven year old 'fostered' to a 55 year old women. The 'aunt' was living in the house, possibly the niece or daughter of the foster mother.

I'm now going to try and track down where my maternal grandparents were in 1921.

I already know that my dad, in about 1923-24, ended up in a single parent household when his father left to live with another women. His three children disowned him, to the extent that I never met him, and didn't know of his death when I was 12 until I was 35 (I found is death cert when my mum died).

All a bit of a shock to realise what a dreadful time they must have had in the 1920s.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:32 - Jan 11 with 2275 viewshoppy

I assume you meant 1820s?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:34 - Jan 11 with 2258 viewsWeWereZombies

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:32 - Jan 11 by hoppy

I read it as 921...BCE...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:36 - Jan 11 with 2249 viewsJ2BLUE

Genuinely interesting stuff. I need to get into this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:37 - Jan 11 with 2242 viewshoppy

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:36 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

Into Factual's family?

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:57 - Jan 11 with 2172 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:32 - Jan 11 by hoppy

As a qualified historian, I can assure you there wasn't an officially recorded detailed census in 1821.

https://www.1911census.org.uk/1821

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:58 - Jan 11 with 2164 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:34 - Jan 11 by WeWereZombies

I read it as 921...BCE...

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:04 - Jan 11 with 2142 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:37 - Jan 11 by hoppy

Into Factual's family?

He could do worse.....

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:09 - Jan 11 with 2115 viewsJ2BLUE

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:58 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

Wow does that really work? Could this be the end of swamp nuts?!?!?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:22 - Jan 11 with 2071 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:09 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

Wow does that really work? Could this be the end of swamp nuts?!?!?

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:29 - Jan 11 with 2032 viewshoppy

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:57 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

As a qualified historian, I can assure you there wasn't an officially recorded detailed census in 1821.

https://www.1911census.org.uk/1821

You spelt "As far as I can remember, I can assure you there wasn't an officially recorded detailed census in 1821." wrongly.

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:31 - Jan 11 with 2032 viewsfarkenhell

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 12:36 - Jan 11 by J2BLUE

This (free) site is good to get you started - https://www.familysearch.org/en/
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:33 - Jan 11 with 2004 viewsFixed_It

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:04 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

He could do worse.....

Ullaa's family would be easier...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:47 - Jan 11 with 1971 viewshoppy

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:33 - Jan 11 by Fixed_It

Ullaa's family would be easier...

This is the template he used for doing his...

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:48 - Jan 11 with 1963 viewsChurchman

Fascinating. Yes, illegitimacy was not exactly praised from the rafters in 1914. Lives were just as complex then as they are now. Census’s are available from 1841 to 1911 and are a good starting point, not least because they show households and occupations.

I find stuff like this really interesting because you can with a bit of luck build pictures of how people actually lived and what happened to them. For most, it was a bl**dy struggle.

1914 was the start of WW1. Did that play a part in some way?
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:52 - Jan 11 with 1943 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:48 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Fascinating. Yes, illegitimacy was not exactly praised from the rafters in 1914. Lives were just as complex then as they are now. Census’s are available from 1841 to 1911 and are a good starting point, not least because they show households and occupations.

I find stuff like this really interesting because you can with a bit of luck build pictures of how people actually lived and what happened to them. For most, it was a bl**dy struggle.

I'm not sure. I don't think my grandmother's husband served in the forces. He was a shipwright and presumably working the naval dockyards, which was probably as reserved an occupation as you can get. I think my mum had an older and younger half-sister.

So presumably my grandmother had to make it up to her husband.....

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:32 - Jan 11 with 1837 viewsazuremerlangus

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:52 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

I'm not sure. I don't think my grandmother's husband served in the forces. He was a shipwright and presumably working the naval dockyards, which was probably as reserved an occupation as you can get. I think my mum had an older and younger half-sister.

So presumably my grandmother had to make it up to her husband.....

Depending which yard it was there may be records of his employment.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 14:33]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:36 - Jan 11 with 1830 viewsKeno

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:32 - Jan 11 by azuremerlangus

Depending which yard it was there may be records of his employment.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 14:33]

Does parchment last this long?

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:53 - Jan 11 with 1776 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:36 - Jan 11 by Keno

Most Acts of Parliament are printed on vellum, ie parchment. The oldest extant Act (although it may recently have been repealed) dates from 1267 - (The Statute of Marlborough (52 Hen 3)).

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:54 - Jan 11 with 1770 viewsleitrimblue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:36 - Jan 11 by Keno

He may have scratched his initials into a piece of lead
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:55 - Jan 11 with 1766 viewsKeno

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:53 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

Most Acts of Parliament are printed on vellum, ie parchment. The oldest extant Act (although it may recently have been repealed) dates from 1267 - (The Statute of Marlborough (52 Hen 3)).

whereas most of the current governments edicts are written in bullsh1t

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 15:18 - Jan 11 with 1715 viewshoppy

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:54 - Jan 11 by leitrimblue

He may have scratched his initials into a piece of lead

As euphemisms go...

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 15:22 - Jan 11 with 1704 viewsChurchman

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 14:53 - Jan 11 by factual_blue

Vellum was basically animal skin, as is parchment, but I believe it’s higher quality. It’s the sort of stuff Magna Carta(s) were written on and because the ink was also made from natural materials, that’s a major reason why a lot of old stuff has survived so well.

I suspect it was hugely expensive and not something you could trot down to Ye Olde Rymans for.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 15:25]
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 15:26 - Jan 11 with 1697 viewsEJP

I started to look at the 1921 census but the costs charged by FindMyPast to view a record that may or may not relate to your family is far too much for my liking - especially on top of the membership costs. But anyway ...

I thoroughly recommend Fold3.com for military records - I found the service docket for my great-grandfather who died in December 1918 of "melancholy", and was able to read the records of his various hospital stays towards the end of WW1.

It's strange how many coincidences there are too - I moved to Gants Hill at the age of 1 month due to my Dad's job - no family in the region or any ties of any sort. I since discovered my paternal grandmother did her nursing training there and literally lived round the corner from our house, and my paternal great-grandfather died at the hospital up the road in the 1930s!
Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 17:54 - Jan 11 with 1554 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 15:26 - Jan 11 by EJP

I started to look at the 1921 census but the costs charged by FindMyPast to view a record that may or may not relate to your family is far too much for my liking - especially on top of the membership costs. But anyway ...

I thoroughly recommend Fold3.com for military records - I found the service docket for my great-grandfather who died in December 1918 of "melancholy", and was able to read the records of his various hospital stays towards the end of WW1.

It's strange how many coincidences there are too - I moved to Gants Hill at the age of 1 month due to my Dad's job - no family in the region or any ties of any sort. I since discovered my paternal grandmother did her nursing training there and literally lived round the corner from our house, and my paternal great-grandfather died at the hospital up the road in the 1930s!

You can buy individual records from FMP for £2.50 - no membership cost. You have to be sure you've got the right one first though.

My father's home village in Lincolnshire featured in an Ian Hislop documentary about war memorials. The village refused their grant from the government for a memorial because the govt would only allow them to include six of the seven men from the village killed in the war. The seventh, who was actually a professional soldier and not a conscript, had been shot for desertion, which was clearly (based on the court martial) shell shock/PTSD.

The local church, at least into the 30s when my dad's younger brother left the village, didn't even hold a Remembrance Day service in a remarkable show of solidarity.

There's even been a play about the story.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/village-which-refused-have-war-memorial-our-

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 18:23 - Jan 11 with 1514 viewsfactual_blue

Been doing a bit of research in the 1921 Census on 13:48 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Also, for good measure, my paternal great-grandfather was also illegitimate. The son of a domestic servant in a doctor's house in Lincolnshire. I think we can work out the rest...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024