Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First impressions and all that... 09:03 - Feb 15 with 955 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I'm trying to remember back to back in the day, my day being quite some time ago. But I'm sure that back then, we weren't as quick to judge new players. A settling in period was allowed. But now it seems a new player crosses the white line and within about a half opinions seem to have crystallised. Often negatively.

Many on here seem to have decided that Bakinson and Thompson are rubbish, but surely give them a little time. The manager sees fit to play them and he appears to be doing quite a good job with the players at his disposal.

Remember how many wrote off Aluko after his first appearance? Now he's some people's favourite player.

A little patience isn't much to ask is it?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

First impressions and all that... on 09:09 - Feb 15 with 901 viewsSheffordBlue

The other piece that we're missing when evaluating players is the instructions the player has had from the Manager.

While some of the criticism is on individual mistakes, quite a lot of it is on decision making e.g. didn't drive forward enough, etc. If the player has been asked to do something different or told not to do something then he may well be doing what he's been asked to!

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

First impressions and all that... on 09:11 - Feb 15 with 883 viewsEwan_Oozami

On social media (which didn't exist back then), patience is at a premium...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

First impressions and all that... on 09:23 - Feb 15 with 840 viewsfarkenhell

I'm not so sure things were different back in the day. I remember a lot of moaning about Muhren after his debut. Then Thijssen a year or so later. Ffw a decade or so, Taricco had more than a few doubters after his first few games. I'm sure there are others.

No social media back then of course, so the dissenting voices were perhaps not as loud, or heard by so many. But it certainly happened.

Also, although slightly different, Micky Mills used to attract an unfair amount of moaners regularly throughout his career.
First impressions and all that... on 09:36 - Feb 15 with 762 viewsCoastalblue

First impressions and all that... on 09:23 - Feb 15 by farkenhell

I'm not so sure things were different back in the day. I remember a lot of moaning about Muhren after his debut. Then Thijssen a year or so later. Ffw a decade or so, Taricco had more than a few doubters after his first few games. I'm sure there are others.

No social media back then of course, so the dissenting voices were perhaps not as loud, or heard by so many. But it certainly happened.

Also, although slightly different, Micky Mills used to attract an unfair amount of moaners regularly throughout his career.

To be fair Treacle was horrendous if his first game was that Bolton one, I never thought I'd see him in a Town shirt again tbh.

Scowcroft and Westlake also used to come in for a lot of unwarranted stick from the off, Matt Richards too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

First impressions and all that... on 09:44 - Feb 15 with 716 viewsElephantintheRoom

Indeed - I would add the downright hostility to homegrown players that now seems to fester amongst the 'support'.

The idea that players may not be world beaters, or perish the thought might get better with experience seemed to evaporate around the time Matt Richards was being pilloried for no discernible reason.

The hypocrisy shown to Woolfenden is perhaps the most recent example.... utterly useless one moment and and a world beater the next. I

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

First impressions and all that... on 09:45 - Feb 15 with 708 viewsPrideOfTheEast

First impressions and all that... on 09:36 - Feb 15 by Coastalblue

To be fair Treacle was horrendous if his first game was that Bolton one, I never thought I'd see him in a Town shirt again tbh.

Scowcroft and Westlake also used to come in for a lot of unwarranted stick from the off, Matt Richards too.

More recently Webster. It was so obvious he was going to be a top player yet was dismissed by many early on.

Woolfenden is another who was more recently written off despite having basically every attribute required for being a top centre half in modern football.
First impressions and all that... on 09:46 - Feb 15 with 712 viewsKeno

After watching his debut my mate declared that player was crap and wouldn’t amount to anything

Personally I think John Wark did ok

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

First impressions and all that... on 09:57 - Feb 15 with 676 viewsborge

First impressions and all that... on 09:44 - Feb 15 by ElephantintheRoom

Indeed - I would add the downright hostility to homegrown players that now seems to fester amongst the 'support'.

The idea that players may not be world beaters, or perish the thought might get better with experience seemed to evaporate around the time Matt Richards was being pilloried for no discernible reason.

The hypocrisy shown to Woolfenden is perhaps the most recent example.... utterly useless one moment and and a world beater the next. I

Richards got a lot of stick, but Scowcroft had worse. I seem to remember that some folks in the north stand organised a red card campaign against him. Absolutely mental that any 'fans' would treat a player in that way, especially a local lad.
Login to get fewer ads

First impressions and all that... on 10:23 - Feb 15 with 577 viewsCoastalblue

First impressions and all that... on 09:57 - Feb 15 by borge

Richards got a lot of stick, but Scowcroft had worse. I seem to remember that some folks in the north stand organised a red card campaign against him. Absolutely mental that any 'fans' would treat a player in that way, especially a local lad.

I can remember blows being exchanged in the NS over Scowie.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024