Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… 17:07 - Apr 9 with 2854 viewspointofblue

under McKenna. That’s nowhere near good enough for a promotion side.

The season’s dead, he probably deserves credit for keeping it alive for so long, but after such an excellent performance against Plymouth we’ve looked limp for three halves out of four in the last two games.

Is it time for the youngsters? Possibly but we should probably field the strongest XI against Rotherham and Wigan as they’ve managed to put themselves in a position to have something to play for.

Not looking forward to Wigan one bit.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:09 - Apr 9 with 2361 viewsAlanG296

That's nowhere near good enough for a mid-table side either.
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:11 - Apr 9 with 2343 viewsJDB23

Said it before, if we play like we have done next season we won’t finish top 2. The clean sheet form isn’t sustainable over 46 games and when we do let in a goal we’re in trouble as the last 2 games show. We’ve made big improvements and got a solid base to work from but shouts of us now being the best team in the league were extremely premature.

I think giving Baggot and Simpson some game time would be worthwhile now, Humphreys too.
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:11 - Apr 9 with 2341 viewsDubtractor

Yeah, if you cherry pick games it is easy enough to make a strong argument.

12 out of 12 points under McKenna against Plymouth, Wycombe, Lincoln and Burton. Repeat that over the season and we'll be a promotion side.

Today is frustrating, as was last week for different reasons, but we can all see we're moving in the right direction.

And have a word with yourself - terrified of a home game against Wigan?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:13 - Apr 9 with 2313 viewspointofblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:11 - Apr 9 by JDB23

Said it before, if we play like we have done next season we won’t finish top 2. The clean sheet form isn’t sustainable over 46 games and when we do let in a goal we’re in trouble as the last 2 games show. We’ve made big improvements and got a solid base to work from but shouts of us now being the best team in the league were extremely premature.

I think giving Baggot and Simpson some game time would be worthwhile now, Humphreys too.

Against Portsmouth, Oxford and Plymouth we looked brilliant, like we’d taken a huge step forward and clicking. Then a miserable performance followed by a limp half today. What happened to the quality of performance we saw against those higher up the table?

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:13 - Apr 9 with 2299 viewsScuzzer

Well Baggott must be in for Rotherham.

Established 1968

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:15 - Apr 9 with 2263 viewsJDB23

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:13 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

Against Portsmouth, Oxford and Plymouth we looked brilliant, like we’d taken a huge step forward and clicking. Then a miserable performance followed by a limp half today. What happened to the quality of performance we saw against those higher up the table?

And yet we only won 1 of those games. We have it in us to play some outstanding football but we need to actually make it count where it matters.
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:15 - Apr 9 with 2252 viewshomer_123

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:13 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

You do know how football works....right?

I'm losing no sleep over a dead rubber against Shrewsbury....which by the way we would have won but for a challenge I'm sure McK would not have wanted and purely lies with one player.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:16 - Apr 9 with 2235 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:11 - Apr 9 by Dubtractor

12 out of 12 points under McKenna against Plymouth, Wycombe, Lincoln and Burton. Repeat that over the season and we'll be a promotion side.

Today is frustrating, as was last week for different reasons, but we can all see we're moving in the right direction.

Indeed.

Over the whole of McKenna's tenure we are slightly shy of 2 points per game. That is the same as around 3rd place currently.

Whilst there have been some disappointing results, let's not forget that we were at 29 points from 23 matches when he arrived. To have taken a team from just over 1 point per game to just under 2, has been a dramatic improvement. Just need to give it time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:17 - Apr 9 with 2212 viewspointofblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:11 - Apr 9 by Dubtractor

I’m not terrified of it; just not looking forward to it.

ETA - And the second half today combined with last week’s limp effort makes me concerned about the direction we’re heading in. Probably unfair but it’s dented my confidence a bit. Four good performances will build it again but, for now, a bit dented.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2022 17:20]

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:18 - Apr 9 with 2191 viewshomer_123

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:16 - Apr 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed.

Over the whole of McKenna's tenure we are slightly shy of 2 points per game. That is the same as around 3rd place currently.

Whilst there have been some disappointing results, let's not forget that we were at 29 points from 23 matches when he arrived. To have taken a team from just over 1 point per game to just under 2, has been a dramatic improvement. Just need to give it time.

And games like today just gives him an even clearer picture of what's needed going forward.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:20 - Apr 9 with 2168 viewsSteve_M

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:15 - Apr 9 by homer_123

You do know how football works....right?

I'm losing no sleep over a dead rubber against Shrewsbury....which by the way we would have won but for a challenge I'm sure McK would not have wanted and purely lies with one player.

Without a goal like that they don't score either. Even for the 15 minutes after the goal, with momentum, they didn't manage a decent chance.

We were sloppy again today though, plenty to improve. Burgess's first yellow, and Morsy's, came after really poor passes by teammates. But, we're still controlling matches for the most part, need to take more chances to improve which is incremental from what we have done.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:25 - Apr 9 with 2080 viewshomer_123

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:20 - Apr 9 by Steve_M

Without a goal like that they don't score either. Even for the 15 minutes after the goal, with momentum, they didn't manage a decent chance.

We were sloppy again today though, plenty to improve. Burgess's first yellow, and Morsy's, came after really poor passes by teammates. But, we're still controlling matches for the most part, need to take more chances to improve which is incremental from what we have done.

We do more than enough to control games don't we?

As I say...generally how McK has us playing is spot on...defensively solid...create chances but at the moment not quite ruthless enough in front of goal.

We will be sloppy at times...that's football and moreover its L1 as well.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:37 - Apr 9 with 2019 viewssidmouthblue

Like Lambert and cook before him I am starting to think McK may be very over hyped
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:39 - Apr 9 with 1977 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:37 - Apr 9 by sidmouthblue

Like Lambert and cook before him I am starting to think McK may be very over hyped

Better persuade Colin out of retirement then?

It is clear that McKenna is night and day better than Cook in terms of results and the way he manages people. If you can't see that then you are not paying much attention.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:43 - Apr 9 with 1941 viewshomer_123

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:37 - Apr 9 by sidmouthblue

Really? His points per game is somewhat different to our previous two managers.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:44 - Apr 9 with 1921 viewsreusersfreekicks

Surely you can see the difference in terms of professionalism, approach etc
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:49 - Apr 9 with 1887 viewspointofblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:44 - Apr 9 by reusersfreekicks

Surely you can see the difference in terms of professionalism, approach etc

It’s a bit like the “well, the football’s better” comments which became increasingly sarcastic post Mick. It is an improvement in terms of professionalism and approach but points on the pitch is under 2 ppg. McKenna’s done a good job so far but it feels like the last two games has see regression when compared to the three performances before then.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 18:08 - Apr 9 with 1778 viewsitfcjoe

You do love to come on and have a pop at McKenna whenever we drop points

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 18:13 - Apr 9 with 1739 viewspointofblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 18:08 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

You do love to come on and have a pop at McKenna whenever we drop points

McKenna's done well but there's been enough about his time here so far that has left me with nagging doubts heading into the summer. Admittedly nowhere near as many as I had with Cook this time last year, but still some, mainly in we seem to over-play in the final quarter of the pitch, resulting in limited chance creation and conversion.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:20 - Apr 9 with 1600 viewshomer_123

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 17:49 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

It’s a bit like the “well, the football’s better” comments which became increasingly sarcastic post Mick. It is an improvement in terms of professionalism and approach but points on the pitch is under 2 ppg. McKenna’s done a good job so far but it feels like the last two games has see regression when compared to the three performances before then.

Nearly 2 points a game against an average of around 1 under Cook - so almost a 100% increase in return under McK.....ohhh and the football IS better.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:30 - Apr 9 with 1564 viewsBarcaBlue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 18:13 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

McKenna's done well but there's been enough about his time here so far that has left me with nagging doubts heading into the summer. Admittedly nowhere near as many as I had with Cook this time last year, but still some, mainly in we seem to over-play in the final quarter of the pitch, resulting in limited chance creation and conversion.

You do like a moan, don't you? A couple of duff performances / results and you wallow in the negativity. Why not look at the overall picture since McKenna arrived and let some sunshine into your life?
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:32 - Apr 9 with 1557 viewspointofblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:20 - Apr 9 by homer_123

Nearly 2 points a game against an average of around 1 under Cook - so almost a 100% increase in return under McK.....ohhh and the football IS better.

The football is more controlled and we tend to dominate opponents in terms of possession, but when teams sit deep and get us to break us down we look clueless, and have done so for too long.

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:42 - Apr 9 with 1516 viewspowinswitch

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 18:13 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

He’s done it all with someone else’s squad. I’m no expecting wholesale change again this season, but I can imagine there being 4 players not currently in the squad, starting the first game in august. If he can retain the players he wants, and make good additions, then that just under (a smidgen under) 2 points a game will surely be bettered. The guy looks a quality manager to me
Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:44 - Apr 9 with 1509 viewsitfcjoe

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:32 - Apr 9 by pointofblue

The football is more controlled and we tend to dominate opponents in terms of possession, but when teams sit deep and get us to break us down we look clueless, and have done so for too long.

Come on, we don’t look ‘clueless’ do we?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:48 - Apr 9 with 1484 viewspointofblue

Three points out of 12 from Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury… on 19:44 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

Come on, we don’t look ‘clueless’ do we?

Too often we do when playing teams who sit deep and tell us to break them down.

When teams come to play, we look really good, hence the three games I noted before in Portsmouth (to an extent), Oxford and Plymouth. That resulted in all three using the dark arts to disrupt the game but when we could play we really played well.

To be fair, I think the loss of Jackson has affected us badly as, with our style of play, having pace up front is a real need to break the lines. Without that we're too slow when looking to go forward, allowing teams to get themselves organised.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024