Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup Final attendance 10:04 - Jun 6 with 2000 viewsunbelievablue

Just been procrastinating in the form of looking at ITFC stuff online. Wiki has our highest crowd played in front of as 100k at Barcelona in 1979, but after a mate suggested it could be the FA Cup final I looked that up, too. Apparently it was also 100k?!

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:16 - Jun 6 with 1958 viewsWeWereZombies

For comparison I Googled 'Biggest Crowd Nodge have played in front of' and was given 58,444 by the Pink Bum:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/villa-sell-out-tees-up-biggest-crowd-o

I don't believe that either but can understand them sending a large contingent to Arsenal for a League Cup game, after all it is a cup that might have a chance of winning...or at least of participating in at a higher level.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:19 - Jun 6 with 1922 viewsDyland

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:16 - Jun 6 by WeWereZombies

For comparison I Googled 'Biggest Crowd Nodge have played in front of' and was given 58,444 by the Pink Bum:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/villa-sell-out-tees-up-biggest-crowd-o

I don't believe that either but can understand them sending a large contingent to Arsenal for a League Cup game, after all it is a cup that might have a chance of winning...or at least of participating in at a higher level.

Isn't that their number of ST holders Zombers?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:22 - Jun 6 with 1910 viewsWeWereZombies

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:19 - Jun 6 by Dyland

Actually I believe that is just the number of Junior Budgies, although when you add parents, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles it still comes to the same number...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:35 - Jun 6 with 1879 viewsChurchman

Yes, in those days the official FA Cup Final attendance was 100,0000. There was 20,000 standing in the ‘gallery’ at each end (cheapest), benches on the lower tier (correct me if I’m wrong on that) and the posher seats on the upper tier at the sides.

The terrace steps were deeper than most normal grounds, which meant a good view, even with all the banners and stuff.

I don’t know the capacity before Wembley was redeveloped for 1966 but the official record attendance for the 1923 White Horse Final was 126,000. The unofficial figure was anything up to 300,000.
FA Cup Final attendance on 10:51 - Jun 6 with 1817 viewsunbelievablue

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:35 - Jun 6 by Churchman

Yes, in those days the official FA Cup Final attendance was 100,0000. There was 20,000 standing in the ‘gallery’ at each end (cheapest), benches on the lower tier (correct me if I’m wrong on that) and the posher seats on the upper tier at the sides.

The terrace steps were deeper than most normal grounds, which meant a good view, even with all the banners and stuff.

I don’t know the capacity before Wembley was redeveloped for 1966 but the official record attendance for the 1923 White Horse Final was 126,000. The unofficial figure was anything up to 300,000.

Blimey. Cheers for that.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

FA Cup Final attendance on 11:15 - Jun 6 with 1768 viewsGrandpa

You can reduce any Norwich attendance by one sixth, because when their hands are in the air, all those extra fingers always makes the crowd look bigger than they actually are
FA Cup Final attendance on 11:22 - Jun 6 with 1743 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

I expect they played in front of more than that away at Man Utd
FA Cup Final attendance on 12:35 - Jun 6 with 1646 viewsGogs

Milk cup final 1985 probably 100k I suspect
Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup Final attendance on 12:53 - Jun 6 with 1619 viewsBarcaBlue

I can't find the reference now but the record attendance I think was in 1981 at the Camp Nou in the pre-season Gamper tournament. 104000 against Cologne, Barça played against Vasco de Gama the same night. We lost both matches anyway.
FA Cup Final attendance on 13:02 - Jun 6 with 1595 viewsRadlett_blue

From 1950 to 1986, the FA Cup Final attendance was always listed as 100,000 although I assume that was tickets sold (plus Royal Box etc). Fewer tickets were sold for Wembley replays in 1981 & 1982, but the 1983 replay was 100,000 officially. From 1986 the figure fell to 98,000 & then gradually fell to under 80,000, presumably as there were more seats & eventually no terraces.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

FA Cup Final attendance on 16:08 - Jun 6 with 1398 viewsSamWhiteUK

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:19 - Jun 6 by Dyland

No, it's the wait list
FA Cup Final attendance on 18:48 - Jun 6 with 1272 viewsbluelagos

FA Cup Final attendance on 13:02 - Jun 6 by Radlett_blue

From 1950 to 1986, the FA Cup Final attendance was always listed as 100,000 although I assume that was tickets sold (plus Royal Box etc). Fewer tickets were sold for Wembley replays in 1981 & 1982, but the 1983 replay was 100,000 officially. From 1986 the figure fell to 98,000 & then gradually fell to under 80,000, presumably as there were more seats & eventually no terraces.

Wembley used to have a 100k capacity for day matches and 98k for evening matches.

Been to an evening 98k match which annoyingly means I've never attended a 100k match.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

FA Cup Final attendance on 18:49 - Jun 6 with 1271 viewsxrayspecs

FA Cup Final attendance on 18:48 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

Wembley used to have a 100k capacity for day matches and 98k for evening matches.

Been to an evening 98k match which annoyingly means I've never attended a 100k match.

I thought it was 92k for evening games?

This would have been a sell out as it determined whether England went to the WC finals. One of Paul Mariners finest hours.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1980-90/1981-82/M0558Hun1981.html
[Post edited 6 Jun 2022 18:52]
FA Cup Final attendance on 19:10 - Jun 6 with 1223 viewsbluelagos

FA Cup Final attendance on 18:49 - Jun 6 by xrayspecs

I thought it was 92k for evening games?

This would have been a sell out as it determined whether England went to the WC finals. One of Paul Mariners finest hours.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1980-90/1981-82/M0558Hun1981.html
[Post edited 6 Jun 2022 18:52]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_FA_Cup_Final

Looking at that, I make you right.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

FA Cup Final attendance on 19:39 - Jun 6 with 1179 viewsChurchman

FA Cup Final attendance on 19:10 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_FA_Cup_Final

Looking at that, I make you right.

The official attendance for England v West Germany 12 March 1975 evening friendly was 100,000. I was there and counted every single person so I know it’s right….. ok it seemed full.

Maier, Vogts, Beckenbauer, Bonhof, Holzeinbein and co. MacDonald and Bell scored for England and my chum gobbled on the top of a German bloke’s head.
FA Cup Final attendance on 19:47 - Jun 6 with 1171 viewsCoastalblue

FA Cup Final attendance on 10:35 - Jun 6 by Churchman

I'd forgotten about the benches, I was quite young when I sat on them and remember them as just plain wooden benches, the sort you used to get in gyms in schools? Fixed down of course.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

FA Cup Final attendance on 20:10 - Jun 6 with 1137 viewsChurchman

FA Cup Final attendance on 19:47 - Jun 6 by Coastalblue

I'd forgotten about the benches, I was quite young when I sat on them and remember them as just plain wooden benches, the sort you used to get in gyms in schools? Fixed down of course.

I pictured them just as you describe but wondered if that was just old bloke memory. I only really remember them because my mum’s uncle was one of the carpenters working on them in the early 20s when the original stadium was built.

I sat in the upper side bits and stood (sat for the play off Final) behind the goals, but never experienced the lower tier.
FA Cup Final attendance on 20:48 - Jun 6 with 1096 viewsRadlett_blue

FA Cup Final attendance on 19:39 - Jun 6 by Churchman

The official attendance for England v West Germany 12 March 1975 evening friendly was 100,000. I was there and counted every single person so I know it’s right….. ok it seemed full.

Maier, Vogts, Beckenbauer, Bonhof, Holzeinbein and co. MacDonald and Bell scored for England and my chum gobbled on the top of a German bloke’s head.

That game was so popular that it was screened live in certain cinemas at a price. amazing to imagine that happening for a friendly match! We all felt Alan Hudson was going to be England's new midfield genius. He played in 1 more match - a meaningless 5-0 demolition of Cyprus - but never again, thanks to injuries & clashes with Don Revie. Hudson didn't do himself any favours though - Ron Greenwood called him up as a late replacement for a friendly v Brazil & Hudson demurred, on the grounds that he hadn't been picked in the original squad.

FA Cup Final attendance on 07:41 - Jun 7 with 901 viewsgosblue

FA Cup Final attendance on 20:48 - Jun 6 by Radlett_blue

That game was so popular that it was screened live in certain cinemas at a price. amazing to imagine that happening for a friendly match! We all felt Alan Hudson was going to be England's new midfield genius. He played in 1 more match - a meaningless 5-0 demolition of Cyprus - but never again, thanks to injuries & clashes with Don Revie. Hudson didn't do himself any favours though - Ron Greenwood called him up as a late replacement for a friendly v Brazil & Hudson demurred, on the grounds that he hadn't been picked in the original squad.

Didn’t Chris Sutton do something similar, refusing to play for England B under Glenn Hoddle, thus ending his England career?
FA Cup Final attendance on 16:14 - Jun 7 with 753 viewsRadlett_blue

FA Cup Final attendance on 07:41 - Jun 7 by gosblue

Didn’t Chris Sutton do something similar, refusing to play for England B under Glenn Hoddle, thus ending his England career?

Yes, this ended Sutton's England "career", which had until then consisted of 11 minutes as a substitute in a friendly against Cameroon.
Matt Le Tissier made the mistake of turning out for England "B" in 1998 & scored a hat trick against Russia "B". Despite this, he was overlooked by Hoddle for the squad for France 98 & never played again for England either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024