Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well said Starmer 11:19 - Aug 15 with 1959 viewsgiant_stow

"We’ve been working on that for six or seven weeks ... I’ve got a very important job as leader of the Labour party, leader of the opposition, but I’ve also got another job that’s really important and that is I’m a dad and I’m not going to apologise for going on holiday with my wife and kids, it’s the first time we’ve had a real holiday for about three years."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/aug/15/keir-starmer-labour-energy

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Well said Starmer on 11:23 - Aug 15 with 1904 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

He should have waited until there was a crucial referendum before going on holiday.
Well said Starmer on 11:33 - Aug 15 with 1855 viewsnoggin

Tbh, nobody will notice he's gone.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Well said Starmer on 11:47 - Aug 15 with 1782 viewsgiant_stow

Well said Starmer on 11:33 - Aug 15 by noggin

Tbh, nobody will notice he's gone.

In fairness, he's just announced a decent, costed plan on Energy prices.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Well said Starmer on 11:53 - Aug 15 with 1714 viewsKeno

It’s not like in the polls he is currently bottom of the league

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Well said Starmer on 11:54 - Aug 15 with 1707 viewsMookamoo

Well said Starmer on 11:47 - Aug 15 by giant_stow

In fairness, he's just announced a decent, costed plan on Energy prices.

I'll give Sunak 2 days before he announces the very same plan.
Well said Starmer on 11:59 - Aug 15 with 1662 viewsgiant_stow

Well said Starmer on 11:54 - Aug 15 by Mookamoo

I'll give Sunak 2 days before he announces the very same plan.

Most likely yeah.

I've just read the TUC estimate privatising the big 5 energy companies would only cost £2.85bn. Seems way to cheap to me, but can any city bods confirm?

Well said Starmer on 12:11 - Aug 15 with 1571 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Well said Starmer on 11:59 - Aug 15 by giant_stow

Most likely yeah.

I've just read the TUC estimate privatising the big 5 energy companies would only cost £2.85bn. Seems way to cheap to me, but can any city bods confirm?

Assume that’s a slightly disingenuous figure in that it is for Utility firms only, and does not include the £30bn in assets owned by the National Grid.
Well said Starmer on 12:31 - Aug 15 with 1477 viewsDarth_Koont

He’ll also never apologise for being slow off the mark, forever outflanked, dishonest, anti-democratic and ultimately looking to serve his own and the establishment’s interests first.

He’ll never flat out support Enough is Enough or even the unions in their pay and working conditions struggle. Because that’s not who he is nor who his and the other right-wingers’ version of the Labour party is there for.

Just getting him to this point feels like an effort.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Well said Starmer on 12:32 - Aug 15 with 1473 viewsBloomBlue

Trouble is he will simply be accused of pinching the idea from the LibDems
Well said Starmer on 12:45 - Aug 15 with 1425 viewsElderGrizzly

Well said Starmer on 12:32 - Aug 15 by BloomBlue

Trouble is he will simply be accused of pinching the idea from the LibDems

Thing is, I don't care if he pinched it from the Lib Dems.

This issue shouldn't be political at all. I'd rather Labour and us worked together to get something through than allow Liz Truss to do sod all with her VAT rebate worth £200.
Well said Starmer on 12:53 - Aug 15 with 1384 viewsIllinoisblue

Well said Starmer on 12:31 - Aug 15 by Darth_Koont

He’ll also never apologise for being slow off the mark, forever outflanked, dishonest, anti-democratic and ultimately looking to serve his own and the establishment’s interests first.

He’ll never flat out support Enough is Enough or even the unions in their pay and working conditions struggle. Because that’s not who he is nor who his and the other right-wingers’ version of the Labour party is there for.

Just getting him to this point feels like an effort.

You’re not a fan then?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Well said Starmer on 13:37 - Aug 15 with 1258 viewsDarth_Koont

Well said Starmer on 12:53 - Aug 15 by Illinoisblue

You’re not a fan then?

Yeah, I have a thing about crap, lying and self-interested politicians who effectively block genuine alternatives and solutions.

I know I should ignore it and get with the programme but ...

Well said Starmer on 13:47 - Aug 15 with 1224 viewsDarth_Koont

Well said Starmer on 12:45 - Aug 15 by ElderGrizzly

Thing is, I don't care if he pinched it from the Lib Dems.

This issue shouldn't be political at all. I'd rather Labour and us worked together to get something through than allow Liz Truss to do sod all with her VAT rebate worth £200.

It's also blindingly obvious to anyone that bills (or whatever customers end up paying) need to be reduced by thousands per customer, and not hundreds.

I agree that this shouldn't be political. This is basic stuff that should have been stated weeks ago. And not in a summer gap where parties and leader candidates are essentially on manoeuvres.

Do your jobs and represent the citizens of the UK much more pro-actively and convincingly.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 13:49]

Well said Starmer on 13:50 - Aug 15 with 1209 viewsDarth_Koont

Well said Starmer on 11:23 - Aug 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

He should have waited until there was a crucial referendum before going on holiday.

Citation needed. And some savlon for your botty.

Well said Starmer on 13:52 - Aug 15 with 1196 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well said Starmer on 11:59 - Aug 15 by giant_stow

Most likely yeah.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well said Starmer on 13:57 - Aug 15 with 1178 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well said Starmer on 13:52 - Aug 15 by GlasgowBlue

A very short-sighted view. Compensate the companies in order to reduce the bills instead of paying to renationalise them and then controlling the costs long term.

Every penny of profit from the privatised utilities, railways and all is money that could have been used to keep costs down or would otherwise swell Government coffers. Of course, it does require the companies to be well run still.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Well said Starmer on 14:01 - Aug 15 with 1161 viewsgiant_stow

Well said Starmer on 13:57 - Aug 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

A very short-sighted view. Compensate the companies in order to reduce the bills instead of paying to renationalise them and then controlling the costs long term.

Every penny of profit from the privatised utilities, railways and all is money that could have been used to keep costs down or would otherwise swell Government coffers. Of course, it does require the companies to be well run still.

Couldn't we just regulate their profits away for free? Perhaps that's a naïve thing to say...

Well said Starmer on 14:09 - Aug 15 with 1124 viewsElderGrizzly

Well said Starmer on 13:57 - Aug 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think nationalising the utility companies is the answer, as the high costs are coming from the suppliers to them?

More control I agree, but I don't think we need a national utility company. It will just be run by Serco and Tory donors.
Well said Starmer on 14:16 - Aug 15 with 1089 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well said Starmer on 14:01 - Aug 15 by giant_stow

Couldn't we just regulate their profits away for free? Perhaps that's a naïve thing to say...

It would be possible but what would the long-term effect of that be? Private companies exist to make a profit. If they do not make sufficient profit, the investment in them would end. I don't think that is the best solution.

Well said Starmer on 14:18 - Aug 15 with 1066 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well said Starmer on 14:09 - Aug 15 by ElderGrizzly

I don't think nationalising the utility companies is the answer, as the high costs are coming from the suppliers to them?

More control I agree, but I don't think we need a national utility company. It will just be run by Serco and Tory donors.

Under the current Government, yes it would. But I am not talking about nationalising in order to out-source. I mean have it properly run as a national company as it once was. Have railways, utilities, the NHS etc run for the benefit of those who use them rather than for profit. If all the higher costs were simply coming from the suppliers, the profits would remain stable instead of soaring wouldn't they?

Well said Starmer on 14:49 - Aug 15 with 999 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Well said Starmer on 14:18 - Aug 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Under the current Government, yes it would. But I am not talking about nationalising in order to out-source. I mean have it properly run as a national company as it once was. Have railways, utilities, the NHS etc run for the benefit of those who use them rather than for profit. If all the higher costs were simply coming from the suppliers, the profits would remain stable instead of soaring wouldn't they?

I’m not against the nationalisation of the energy supply companies, simply as I don’t think it is effective competition and it takes an element of profit out.

However, it’s important to realise in the current circumstances it’s not a silver bullet in terms of bringing down energy prices. The utility firms have a profit margin of around 2pc of your bill, so when you are looking at 4k per annum it’s really not going to help households.

Over 50pc of your bill is wholesale costs from the producers - gas has quadrupled in price, this isn’t going to change with nationalisation of utilities. That’s why Starmer’s proposal will leave people much better off.
Well said Starmer on 14:57 - Aug 15 with 973 viewsElderGrizzly

Well said Starmer on 14:49 - Aug 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I’m not against the nationalisation of the energy supply companies, simply as I don’t think it is effective competition and it takes an element of profit out.

However, it’s important to realise in the current circumstances it’s not a silver bullet in terms of bringing down energy prices. The utility firms have a profit margin of around 2pc of your bill, so when you are looking at 4k per annum it’s really not going to help households.

Over 50pc of your bill is wholesale costs from the producers - gas has quadrupled in price, this isn’t going to change with nationalisation of utilities. That’s why Starmer’s proposal will leave people much better off.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make and you have made much better :)

Current profits for a utility company are around £35 in a £1971 price cap. They aren't the issue here, but are the easy target.

Also, Liz Truss's grand plan of cutting VAT (is only £94) and green tariff (only £160) of the £1971 is equally as unhelpful.

Starmer's plan is right, but being in opposition he has no hope of getting Tories to take it
Well said Starmer on 16:33 - Aug 15 with 834 viewsgiant_stow

Well said Starmer on 12:11 - Aug 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Assume that’s a slightly disingenuous figure in that it is for Utility firms only, and does not include the £30bn in assets owned by the National Grid.

Cheers mr - thought it sounded like not enough.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024