Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keogh and Saturday 14:05 - Feb 7 with 2206 viewsFrimleyBlue

Has anyone figured why they think he was chosen sat...
Just to stick to the team that beat Morcambe do you think or was there a specific threat which doesn't come across as obvious.

Lots of talk about the slowness of passing etc, the majority of which came from Keogh as he walked the ball up the pitch.

Cambridge didn't really play any differently thank expected so it's quite surprising we didn't go with Wolfenden who likes to push forward and spray the ball around

If were gonna get a run of wins that's got to be last we see of see of him as a starter no?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Keogh and Saturday on 14:09 - Feb 7 with 2176 viewsitfcjoe

I think it was we'd had a few issues at back, changed the CBs, kept clean sheet and don't change t

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Keogh and Saturday on 14:16 - Feb 7 with 2119 viewsSheffordBlue

I think the walking the ball up the pitch was tactical rather than personnel. 'La Pausa' is designed to draw some of the opposition players towards the ball which can then help great space/overloads up the pitch when you do move the ball.

I thought Cambridge were pretty disciplined in sitting and not being tempted towards him which pretty much negated this. Their were more than happy for Cambridge to sit - often when this tactic is used the home fans become disgruntled that their team aren't doing anything about the player with the ball.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Keogh and Saturday on 14:27 - Feb 7 with 2043 viewsFrimleyBlue

Keogh and Saturday on 14:16 - Feb 7 by SheffordBlue

I think the walking the ball up the pitch was tactical rather than personnel. 'La Pausa' is designed to draw some of the opposition players towards the ball which can then help great space/overloads up the pitch when you do move the ball.

I thought Cambridge were pretty disciplined in sitting and not being tempted towards him which pretty much negated this. Their were more than happy for Cambridge to sit - often when this tactic is used the home fans become disgruntled that their team aren't doing anything about the player with the ball.

Oh I get ''La Pausa' but when the opponents have shown they are more than happy to sit back, you'd think an experienced defender like him would have realised and gone into 1st gear.

Waka waka eh eh

Keogh and Saturday on 14:42 - Feb 7 with 1962 viewsArnieM

…. And Woolfie doesn’t walk the ball out of defence ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Keogh and Saturday on 14:45 - Feb 7 with 1942 viewsFrimleyBlue

Keogh and Saturday on 14:42 - Feb 7 by ArnieM

…. And Woolfie doesn’t walk the ball out of defence ?

He does at times yes. But he's quite quick at noticing when no one is pressing so goes into a gentle jog and sometimes another gear if the opportunity presents itself. He also doesn't have this the habit that keogh has of slowly turning to face his cb partner to slowly turn back and do it again at snails pace.

Waka waka eh eh

Keogh and Saturday on 14:49 - Feb 7 with 1900 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Keogh has an abundance of experience. Against Morecambe, he didn’t put a foot wrong and was barking instructions at his fellow players for the entire game. He didn’t give the ball away and many of our attacks begun with him playing the ball forward to more offensively minded teammates.
That’s probably why McKenna thought it would be a good idea to play him against Cambridge.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Keogh and Saturday on 15:56 - Feb 7 with 1637 viewsDJR

The issue I had with Keogh is that he sat so deep, not least because of his lack of speed, that, as well as inviting balls over the top, he invited balls into the space in between. This, I feel, enabled them to get back into the game in the second part of each half. And, as well as being outpaced on one occasion, he was way off the goalscorer when the goal went in.

And given the fact Cambridge were so deep, it would have been a perfect game for Woolfy to advance over the half-way line and thus open up things for those in advance of him.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 16:00]
Keogh and Saturday on 15:58 - Feb 7 with 1622 viewsSteve_M

Keogh and Saturday on 15:56 - Feb 7 by DJR

The issue I had with Keogh is that he sat so deep, not least because of his lack of speed, that, as well as inviting balls over the top, he invited balls into the space in between. This, I feel, enabled them to get back into the game in the second part of each half. And, as well as being outpaced on one occasion, he was way off the goalscorer when the goal went in.

And given the fact Cambridge were so deep, it would have been a perfect game for Woolfy to advance over the half-way line and thus open up things for those in advance of him.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 16:00]

I'm sure the plan was to counter the aerial threat of Ironside but once Cambridge kept him away from Keogh, it was far less helpful and, as you say, RK's lack of pace always allowed Cambridge an outball.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Keogh and Saturday on 16:01 - Feb 7 with 1609 viewsDJR

Keogh and Saturday on 15:58 - Feb 7 by Steve_M

I'm sure the plan was to counter the aerial threat of Ironside but once Cambridge kept him away from Keogh, it was far less helpful and, as you say, RK's lack of pace always allowed Cambridge an outball.

That may have been the plan, but I am not sure there has been a game this season where Woolfy has been outgunned in the air. He is after all, according to Wikipedia, two inches taller than Keogh.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 16:03]
Keogh and Saturday on 16:23 - Feb 7 with 1520 viewsSteve_M

Keogh and Saturday on 16:01 - Feb 7 by DJR

That may have been the plan, but I am not sure there has been a game this season where Woolfy has been outgunned in the air. He is after all, according to Wikipedia, two inches taller than Keogh.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 16:03]

I would have played Wolfy too, the only significant header I can remember him missing recently was at Oxford and, even then, both Donacien and Burgess should have stopped that goal.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Keogh and Saturday on 16:34 - Feb 7 with 1438 viewsMetal_Hacker

Because McK said in an interview that the Cambridge strikers were of the same ilk as the Morcambe lot and therefore saw it fit to play the same back line did he not ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Keogh and Saturday on 16:45 - Feb 7 with 1361 viewsCoastalblue

Captain Hindsight would make a wonderful manager, but he wasn't available, so instead we trust a guy who appears to know what he's doing select what he thinks is the best side to play every week.

Having seen the week before, I'm not sure it was a big shock to see Keogh playing.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Keogh and Saturday on 18:12 - Feb 7 with 1140 viewsBigCommon

Nothing much to figure out....
Other players have been on the slide.
Keogh's come in and played well. So KM stuck with him for a Cambridge game that we should be winning, regardless who plays CB.
Keogh and Saturday on 18:13 - Feb 7 with 1141 viewsSitfcB

I think it was purely the same team because of the Morecambe performance which I think was fair enough.

I’d expect and hope to see Burgess or Woolfenden back in the starting 11 against Wendy’s.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Keogh and Saturday on 20:35 - Feb 7 with 939 viewsDJR

Keogh and Saturday on 18:13 - Feb 7 by SitfcB

I think it was purely the same team because of the Morecambe performance which I think was fair enough.

I’d expect and hope to see Burgess or Woolfenden back in the starting 11 against Wendy’s.

To be honest, he didn't have much to do against Morecambe, so along with his far from sure-footed appearances in other games, I would have thought we ought to have played a fitter, faster, more composed and, in my opinion, better player in Woolfy, particularly given the importance of winning as many as possible of our remaining games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024