Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... 15:15 - Sep 22 with 3716 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66868576

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:30 - Sep 22 with 2723 views_clive_baker_

Are they not?

Prior to this season they had spent the past 9 years in the Premier league, winning it once, finishing 5th twice and winning the FA Cup. They've won the league cup twice in the past 30 years as well.

They've also now got a 100 million quid training ground which is one of the best in the country. Not Arsenal or United big of course but I don't think describing them as a big club is too much of a stretch.
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:31 - Sep 22 with 2719 viewsgiant_stow

I'd call them an over-achieving small club, personally.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:32 - Sep 22 with 2707 viewsgiant_stow

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:30 - Sep 22 by _clive_baker_

Are they not?

Prior to this season they had spent the past 9 years in the Premier league, winning it once, finishing 5th twice and winning the FA Cup. They've won the league cup twice in the past 30 years as well.

They've also now got a 100 million quid training ground which is one of the best in the country. Not Arsenal or United big of course but I don't think describing them as a big club is too much of a stretch.

Isn;t a large part of being a big club, having a large fanbase?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:34 - Sep 22 with 2695 viewsIllinoisblue

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:31 - Sep 22 by giant_stow

I'd call them an over-achieving small club, personally.

Whereas Norwich are an underachieving small club.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:35 - Sep 22 with 2694 views_clive_baker_

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:32 - Sep 22 by giant_stow

Personally I would say it's also about how many trophies you've got in the cabinet, but I can understand why you would understate that element.
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:39 - Sep 22 with 2652 viewsChurchman

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:32 - Sep 22 by giant_stow

They’re a mid sized club like yours, mine, Southampton, Derby, Stoke and a good few others. Not that it matters a jot.

In my view the only clubs in the Championship that have the potential to be a ‘big club’ are Sunderland and possibly Leeds (who once were in that category) precisely because of fan base. And despite getting great crowds, Sunderland only managed to be big club fodder in ten years in the PL relatively recently.
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:42 - Sep 22 with 2630 viewsVegtablue

They have higher attendances historically than you or us so let's not be too ungenerous here.

I'd call them an over-achieving medium club.

Obviously not achieving so much right now.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 15:44]
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:42 - Sep 22 with 2627 viewsWeWereZombies

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:30 - Sep 22 by _clive_baker_

Are they not?

I don't disagree, my thread header was a bit of a dig at posters in another thread who suggested Leicester are not a big club, especially when compared to Ipswich. But it is true that Leicester have had more success recently. There again, they have never won a European trophy or supplied England with their two best managers.

However both clubs have won a couple of things since Newcastle last won anything.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:02 - Sep 22 with 2507 viewsIllinoisblue

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:42 - Sep 22 by Vegtablue

They have higher attendances historically than you or us so let's not be too ungenerous here.

I'd call them an over-achieving medium club.

Obviously not achieving so much right now.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 15:44]

But let’s not forget them cheating ffp rules in 2013-14 helped lay the foundations for their future success.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:08 - Sep 22 with 2476 viewsGrandpa

There are only 8 truly 'great' clubs in English football.
In my humble opinion, I think it not unreasonable to be considered a 'great' club if
(not necessarily in the same season)
they've been at least once...

champions of England...AND...

FA Cup or League Cup winners...AND...

European Cup (UEFA Champions League, as is now) or UEFA Cup winners

Anything other than the main two, both European & domestic cup comps, in addition to winning England's top division, I would not consider as achieving 'greatness'

Liverpool
Manchester United
Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest
&...
Ipswich Town

So Leicester City?

No!
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 16:48]
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:12 - Sep 22 with 2438 viewsgiant_stow

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 15:35 - Sep 22 by _clive_baker_

Personally I would say it's also about how many trophies you've got in the cabinet, but I can understand why you would understate that element.

You're all brutes!

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:14 - Sep 22 with 2425 viewsDaninthecampo

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:08 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

In my humble opinion, I think it not unreasonable to be considered a 'great' club if

Anything other than the main two, both European & domestic cup comps, in addition to winning England's top division, I would not consider as achieving 'greatness'

Liverpool
Manchester United
Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest
&...
Ipswich Town

So Leicester City?

No!

Surely you're missing Chelsea in that criteria?

I can't stand them but they are a very successful club
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:16 - Sep 22 with 2418 viewsVegtablue

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:08 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

Liverpool
Manchester United
Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest
&...
Ipswich Town

So Leicester City?

No!

There's an imposter on your list Grandpa. We'll need to include West Ham and Everton if we let Arsenal in.
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:19 - Sep 22 with 2397 viewshomer_123

Liverpool
Manchester United
Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest
&...
Ipswich Town

So Leicester City?

No!

What no Leeds, they're MASSIVE!!!!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:24 - Sep 22 with 2356 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:14 - Sep 22 by Daninthecampo

Surely you're missing Chelsea in that criteria?

I can't stand them but they are a very successful club

Good spot - correction made!
I had considered Chelsea, then completely forgot to type it in while I was trying to remember them all!
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:28 - Sep 22 with 2340 viewsITFC_Forever

Liverpool
Manchester United
Manchester City
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Nottingham Forest
&...
Ipswich Town

So Leicester City?

No!

In terms of fan base, you can also include Newcastle, Sunderland and Everton.

Everton won the Cup Winners Cup in 1985, and so meet all the criteria, even if they're not very good now.
Or does having Allardyce manage them automatically disqualify them?

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:29 - Sep 22 with 2336 viewshomer_123

Not sure about anyone else but I have always rather enjoyed being a Club that has punched well above it's weight.

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:35 - Sep 22 with 2319 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:16 - Sep 22 by Vegtablue

There's an imposter on your list Grandpa. We'll need to include West Ham and Everton if we let Arsenal in.

West Ham have never been champions of England
Everton won a European cup winners' cup, NOT one of the primary 2 European crowns
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:38 - Sep 22 with 2304 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:19 - Sep 22 by homer_123

What no Leeds, they're MASSIVE!!!!

Leeds won a European cup winners' cup - NOT one of the 2 primary European crowns
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:38 - Sep 22 with 2296 viewsITFC_Forever

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:35 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

West Ham have never been champions of England
Everton won a European cup winners' cup, NOT one of the primary 2 European crowns

Cup Winners Cup was worth winning BCL. (Before Champtions League).

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:39 - Sep 22 with 2291 viewshomer_123

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:38 - Sep 22 by Grandpa

Leeds won a European cup winners' cup - NOT one of the 2 primary European crowns

Yeah but they are MASSIVE!!!!

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:55 - Sep 22 with 2210 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:16 - Sep 22 by Vegtablue

Having double checked since posting, I've removed Arsenal as they haven't won 1 of the 2 primary European crowns!
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:56 - Sep 22 with 2205 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Since the 1990s they have won the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup twice(runners up once), played in the Champions League. They have played at Wembley 8 times in that same period, winning the Championship Playoffs twice.

I'd say they are a big club these days.
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:02 - Sep 22 with 2189 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:28 - Sep 22 by ITFC_Forever

In terms of fan base, you can also include Newcastle, Sunderland and Everton.

Everton won the Cup Winners Cup in 1985, and so meet all the criteria, even if they're not very good now.
Or does having Allardyce manage them automatically disqualify them?

I'm measuring 'greatness' not by fan base, but if a club have been (not necessarily in the same season)
top division champs AND
FA Cup or League Cup winners AND
European Cup or UEFA Cup winners
Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 17:06 - Sep 22 with 2173 viewsGrandpa

Well the Leicester manager thinks they are a big club... on 16:56 - Sep 22 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Since the 1990s they have won the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup twice(runners up once), played in the Champions League. They have played at Wembley 8 times in that same period, winning the Championship Playoffs twice.

I'd say they are a big club these days.

But not a 'great' club
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024