Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) 09:08 - May 31 with 12540 viewshomer_123

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:09 - May 31 with 3945 viewsbluelagos

She would, but they won't. Sadly.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:12 - May 31 with 3939 viewsSteve_M

Even a small majority could undermine here within the Tory party - and that despite spending the last year trying to appeal to the more rabid of its members.

The options to replace her don't look particularly good though. Gove and Boris damaged themselves last Summer, Hammond is hated by the Tory right. I'm sure Liam Fox is shameless enough to stand again though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:13 - May 31 with 3922 viewsArcher4721

But then we wouldn't have a strong and stable government.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:14 - May 31 with 3918 viewsblue_oyster

They will do whatever they can to cling onto power. This decision will not involve the interests of the people of the country.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:15 - May 31 with 3919 viewsWD19

Small majority would be more of a disaster for all of us. She would be a complete hostage and the lunatics really would take control of the whole asylum.....as they were threatening to do before she called the election.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:17 - May 31 with 3908 viewsRadlett_blue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:12 - May 31 by Steve_M

Even a small majority could undermine here within the Tory party - and that despite spending the last year trying to appeal to the more rabid of its members.

The options to replace her don't look particularly good though. Gove and Boris damaged themselves last Summer, Hammond is hated by the Tory right. I'm sure Liam Fox is shameless enough to stand again though.

May was always the default "safe pair of hands" option.
Bit like having Mick managing Town. Safe but uninspiring.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:18 - May 31 with 3910 viewslowhouseblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:15 - May 31 by WD19

Small majority would be more of a disaster for all of us. She would be a complete hostage and the lunatics really would take control of the whole asylum.....as they were threatening to do before she called the election.

a small majority plus brexit would be bad.
a hung parliament plus brexit would be a disaster - we would be incapable of negotiating.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:21 - May 31 with 3888 viewscolchesterchris

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:18 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

a hung parliament plus brexit would be a disaster - we would be incapable of negotiating.

So, what you rather at this point?

Labour continue to make ground, or a more comfortable Tory majority?

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Login to get fewer ads

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:21 - May 31 with 3883 viewsbluelagos

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:18 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

You think a big majority Tory party will be able to deliver a decent Brexit?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:22 - May 31 with 3883 viewschicoazul

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:12 - May 31 by Steve_M

If she DOES go for whatever reason - say they return a majority smaller than their current one - then David Davies will get the job. Hahahah oh God I just realised that.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:23 - May 31 with 3876 viewschicoazul

A hung parliament will mean no Brexit or an immediate, second election.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:23 - May 31 with 3872 viewsArcher4721

Deary me.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:25 - May 31 with 3865 viewslowhouseblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:21 - May 31 by colchesterchris

So, what you rather at this point?

Labour continue to make ground, or a more comfortable Tory majority?

in reality it's going to be a large tory majority.

but the hypothetical situation of a hung parliament would be a major crisis. there would have to be a second election within 6 months. you couldn't negotiate brexit with a cobbled together coalition.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:26 - May 31 with 3864 viewsSteve_M

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:22 - May 31 by chicoazul

If she DOES go for whatever reason - say they return a majority smaller than their current one - then David Davies will get the job. Hahahah oh God I just realised that.

Him versus Rudd probably.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:27 - May 31 with 3854 viewslowhouseblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:23 - May 31 by Archer4721

Deary me.

you think a hung parliament negotiating brexit would be good?

do explain, this should be interesting.

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:30 - May 31 with 3839 viewslowhouseblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:23 - May 31 by chicoazul

A hung parliament will mean no Brexit or an immediate, second election.

'no brexit' isn't really an option - cocked up negotiations on brexit is what you'd get followed by a second election once there had been sufficient chaos to excite the ukipers and everyone else who voted out.

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:30 - May 31 with 3835 viewsArcher4721

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:27 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

I think anything that doesn't involve the tories getting a free reign over Brexit has to be good.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:33 - May 31 with 3818 viewschicoazul

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:30 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

'no brexit' isn't really an option - cocked up negotiations on brexit is what you'd get followed by a second election once there had been sufficient chaos to excite the ukipers and everyone else who voted out.

Sorry yes what I meant was there would be no Brexit negotiation since basically nobody would be in charge of negotiations on our side.

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:34 - May 31 with 3811 viewslowhouseblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:30 - May 31 by Archer4721

I think anything that doesn't involve the tories getting a free reign over Brexit has to be good.

you don't understand how negotiations work do you. having a divided negotiating team with conflicting objectives is about the worst place you possibly start from. the tories would be depending on the northern irish, so the eu offers us the worst possible deal plus no new border within Ireland. we are then stuffed.

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:34 - May 31 with 3809 viewsfeelingblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:27 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

If a hung parliament means a coalition, it could be fine. The Tories would then have the perfect excuse not to refuse freedom of movement, which most of them, including David Davis, know to be a major benefit to the UK, and the perfect excuse to agree to remain in the single market, which most of them, including David Davis, know to be be a major benefit to the UK.
They could negotiate the result that most of them want. Technically out of the EU, but economically still effectively in it.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:34 - May 31 with 3807 viewschicoazul

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:26 - May 31 by Steve_M

Him versus Rudd probably.

He would crush Rudd. Davies is a very good speaker and campaigner.

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:35 - May 31 with 3806 viewscolchesterchris

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:25 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

in reality it's going to be a large tory majority.

but the hypothetical situation of a hung parliament would be a major crisis. there would have to be a second election within 6 months. you couldn't negotiate brexit with a cobbled together coalition.

I'm still hopeful that that isn't the case. There's definitely a significant shift in momentum but agree the likely scenario is still as you suggest.

I agree a hung parliament would be a major issue, no denying that reasonably regardless of political persuasions. However, I'd rather not give weak and wobbly May a blank cheque so for me the Labour party has to at least attempt to come together and continue to close the gap.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:39 - May 31 with 3783 viewsfeelingblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:34 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

you don't understand how negotiations work do you. having a divided negotiating team with conflicting objectives is about the worst place you possibly start from. the tories would be depending on the northern irish, so the eu offers us the worst possible deal plus no new border within Ireland. we are then stuffed.

There will be no new border within Ireland. Ireland has to agree whatever deal is reached.

We will be offered a deal according to the rules of the EU, whoever is 'negotiating'.

The idea that a lot of politicians are going sit in a room for days and nights and hammer our some sort of agreement by 'negotiation' is just an image that Brexiteers want to encourage, as they think it plays to their advantage.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:42 - May 31 with 3763 viewsblueislander

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:14 - May 31 by blue_oyster

They will do whatever they can to cling onto power. This decision will not involve the interests of the people of the country.

I wonder whether the election of Corbyn to lead the Labour party involved the best interests of the people of the country?
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:56 - May 31 with 3730 viewslowhouseblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:39 - May 31 by feelingblue

There will be no new border within Ireland. Ireland has to agree whatever deal is reached.

We will be offered a deal according to the rules of the EU, whoever is 'negotiating'.

The idea that a lot of politicians are going sit in a room for days and nights and hammer our some sort of agreement by 'negotiation' is just an image that Brexiteers want to encourage, as they think it plays to their advantage.

the rules of the eu aren't exactly clear in this situation. there is no single model to follow. so yes, negotiation is going to matter.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024