Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) 09:08 - May 31 with 12572 viewshomer_123

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 10:00 - May 31 with 5114 viewsSteve_M

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:34 - May 31 by chicoazul

He would crush Rudd. Davies is a very good speaker and campaigner.

I don't disagree, just that looks like the most likely options to me at the moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 10:56 - May 31 with 5088 viewsfeelingblue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:56 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

the rules of the eu aren't exactly clear in this situation. there is no single model to follow. so yes, negotiation is going to matter.

Merkel and Tusk have both said that the 'four freedoms' are not up for negotiation. When Merkel says something, I tend to believe her.

For reference, the ‘four freedoms’ of the European Union are the freedom of movement of goods, people, services and capital over borders, all of which are highly desirable, through to almost essential for our economy.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:07 - May 31 with 5078 viewsblue_oyster

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 10:56 - May 31 by feelingblue

Merkel and Tusk have both said that the 'four freedoms' are not up for negotiation. When Merkel says something, I tend to believe her.

For reference, the ‘four freedoms’ of the European Union are the freedom of movement of goods, people, services and capital over borders, all of which are highly desirable, through to almost essential for our economy.

But not the 'freedom' of expecting a well paid job in your own country.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:13 - May 31 with 5073 viewsmanchego

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 10:56 - May 31 by feelingblue

The reason I voted remain was so we could have free access to the single largest trading block in the world - and by extension the 4 freedoms.
We voted not to have that.
Now we are desperately trying to negotiate for it.

Funny old game innit
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:24 - May 31 with 5057 viewsMJallday

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:23 - May 31 by chicoazul

A hung parliament will mean no Brexit or an immediate, second election.

or a third secret option, a tory / labour coalition with the snp.... which is a horrifying thought

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

May will have gone before the election on 11:38 - May 31 with 5040 viewsfactual_blue

FACT.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:44 - May 31 with 5021 viewsGlasgowBlue

Every cloud has a silver lining. Enter David Davis.

I still see the Tories getting huge majority. However, if there was a Rainbow coalition then it will fall apart within months and we'd have another election in October.

Jezza wouldn't be able to deliver on many of his manifesto commitments. For starters his promise that only the top earners would pay more tax would have to go as the Lib Dems would insist on 1p on all taxpayers for the NHS. The SNP, desperate to keep business in Scotland post Brexit would block his corporation tax rises. Maybe even his old friends in Sinn Fein will break with tradition and take their seats in order to prop him up. What price will they demand? A reunification referendum?

All in all this poll is a gift to May if she is to continue her "Coalition of Chaos" mantra. People laughed when she used it 3 weeks ago. Not now.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:59 - May 31 with 5011 viewsMJallday

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:44 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

I still see the Tories getting huge majority. However, if there was a Rainbow coalition then it will fall apart within months and we'd have another election in October.

Jezza wouldn't be able to deliver on many of his manifesto commitments. For starters his promise that only the top earners would pay more tax would have to go as the Lib Dems would insist on 1p on all taxpayers for the NHS. The SNP, desperate to keep business in Scotland post Brexit would block his corporation tax rises. Maybe even his old friends in Sinn Fein will break with tradition and take their seats in order to prop him up. What price will they demand? A reunification referendum?

All in all this poll is a gift to May if she is to continue her "Coalition of Chaos" mantra. People laughed when she used it 3 weeks ago. Not now.

out of interest GB - could you see nicola getting in bed with either the tories or labour?

i can... (more likely labour ) if only to force through a scottish referendum...

thoughts?

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:01 - May 31 with 5008 viewsHARRY10

Unless she gets a much increased majority her position would be rocky. It was to deal with the malcontents in her own party that the election was called.

This was no snap election either. The party would have been lining up 'safe' candidates well before the election was called.

As to brexit that is already finished. Anyone watching Paxman v May would have noticed how he kept pressig May on whether SHE herself supported brexit. The answer should tell you all you need to know.

If there is no majority then where the 'will of the people' then ? If Labour form a coalition withe the SNP, LDems and Plaid what will be the asking price from the latter.

Cynics might suggest that May and most of the Tories would not see the above happening as being that bad. They would dump the mess of the cuts and down turn in the economy onto Labour. Similarly the long running sore that brexit would be. It would be Labour held responsible for the failure and almost certain oncoming recession, whilst allowing the Tories to regroup.

Of course that would require the Tories to rather balls things up a bit on their side. But that would never happen ........ would it ?

After all, politics is such a clean and straight forward 'art' isn't it ?
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:06 - May 31 with 4993 viewsGlasgowBlue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:59 - May 31 by MJallday

out of interest GB - could you see nicola getting in bed with either the tories or labour?

i can... (more likely labour ) if only to force through a scottish referendum...

thoughts?

A second referendum would be a given in any deal with Labour. Sturgeon couldn't be seen to go into coalition with the Tories.

Iron Lion Zion

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:15 - May 31 with 4985 viewsHARRY10

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:06 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

A second referendum would be a given in any deal with Labour. Sturgeon couldn't be seen to go into coalition with the Tories.

There would be no referendum as Labour know that Scotland leaving would remove their coalition majority.

Similarly the SNP would know that a failed referendum for them would kill them off..

I doubt either side would take the risk.

However the SNP would want brexit knocked on the head, however it was done. That would give her and her party the kudos to retain control of Scotland via it's MPs.

So all to play for, it's just how sides will play that will count.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:15 - May 31 with 4985 viewsgordon

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 11:44 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

I think one of the problems with Theresa is that people aren't convinced by the soundbites at all. I think it's generally perceived now that she relies on soundbites and repetition so much because that's all she can do - she has no personality, wit, charm, ideology, intelligence or political nous behind the soundbites to back it up.

The idea that an election strategy can be devoid of policies, without engaging in debate, without trying to demonstrate that her party has better ideas, without acknowledging that the public may be intelligent and informed, is pretty awful.

For all Jeremy Corbyn's many flaws which we are fully aware of, he at least is putting forth ideas and arguments, trying to communicate some sort of positive vision.

Whatever becomes of Theresa May and the conservatives in this campaign, it all feels cynical beyond belief - it's difficult to see how anyone with a genuine passion for political debate could wish for such a strategy to succeed.
[Post edited 31 May 2017 12:16]
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:15 - May 31 with 4981 viewsMJallday

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:06 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

i bet shes loving it. shes gone very quiet at the moment - not upsetting the applecart.

6 weeks ago id have said it was nailed on tory victory. now, im really not so sure which way it will go.
whilst my personal view hasn't changed - the world around me seems to be overwhelmingly voting/suppoting labour. social media is overwhelmingly being run by labour activists. there is very little in the way of tory "propeganda"

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:20 - May 31 with 4962 viewsGlasgowBlue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:15 - May 31 by gordon

I think one of the problems with Theresa is that people aren't convinced by the soundbites at all. I think it's generally perceived now that she relies on soundbites and repetition so much because that's all she can do - she has no personality, wit, charm, ideology, intelligence or political nous behind the soundbites to back it up.

The idea that an election strategy can be devoid of policies, without engaging in debate, without trying to demonstrate that her party has better ideas, without acknowledging that the public may be intelligent and informed, is pretty awful.

For all Jeremy Corbyn's many flaws which we are fully aware of, he at least is putting forth ideas and arguments, trying to communicate some sort of positive vision.

Whatever becomes of Theresa May and the conservatives in this campaign, it all feels cynical beyond belief - it's difficult to see how anyone with a genuine passion for political debate could wish for such a strategy to succeed.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Iron Lion Zion

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:27 - May 31 with 4946 viewsStokieBlue

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:39 - May 31 by feelingblue

There will be no new border within Ireland. Ireland has to agree whatever deal is reached.

We will be offered a deal according to the rules of the EU, whoever is 'negotiating'.

The idea that a lot of politicians are going sit in a room for days and nights and hammer our some sort of agreement by 'negotiation' is just an image that Brexiteers want to encourage, as they think it plays to their advantage.

Genuine question, if there is no hard border and we have no freedom of movement then how is it enforceable? These two things seem mutually exclusive?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:45 - May 31 with 4929 viewsVic

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:23 - May 31 by chicoazul

A hung parliament will mean no Brexit or an immediate, second election.

I reckon it would be a second election and Labour would put a 2nd referendum in their manifesto and win. Result? A communist prime minister and no brexit. Nightmare!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:48 - May 31 with 4926 viewschicoazul

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:45 - May 31 by Vic

I reckon it would be a second election and Labour would put a 2nd referendum in their manifesto and win. Result? A communist prime minister and no brexit. Nightmare!

You do know nobody in the establishment in this country wants us out dont you?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:49 - May 31 with 4921 viewsNo9

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:27 - May 31 by StokieBlue

Genuine question, if there is no hard border and we have no freedom of movement then how is it enforceable? These two things seem mutually exclusive?

SB

If the tories are serious about security they will have to do something about the open borders between the UK & elsewhere.
The EU have stipulated that if the UK leaves the single market then ther will have to be customs points between the N. & S. not surprising the amount of smuggling that used to go on.
The EU is very keen to preserve the GF Agreement, we may be seeing the beginning of a united Ireland? Maybe the EU will insist Ireland become full members and join the Schenen agreement?

http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-UK-Brexit-Schengen-Common-Travel-Area-EU-Council
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:52 - May 31 with 4917 viewsNo9

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 09:18 - May 31 by lowhouseblue

a small majority plus brexit would be bad.
a hung parliament plus brexit would be a disaster - we would be incapable of negotiating.

With the current team not understanding the rules we are not capable of negotiating now.
Think of it like this - the right don't want to negotiate they just want out = completely

It is becoming apparent that the UK or England will have to completely leave the EU then negotiate en mass with the other 27 for the bits they want.

Mrs May is hopeless simply because she doesn' understand this.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:53 - May 31 with 4917 viewsDarth_Koont

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:45 - May 31 by Vic

"Communist"!??

Behave ... or if you do believe it you need to leave the UK and visit some countries with social democratic political leaders. Like the rest of Europe.

Corbyn and his views are pretty much par for the course.

Pronouns: He/Him

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:55 - May 31 with 4909 viewsNo9

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:48 - May 31 by chicoazul

You do know nobody in the establishment in this country wants us out dont you?

They are right to be scared of what might happen.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 13:05 - May 31 with 4892 viewschicoazul

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:49 - May 31 by No9

If the tories are serious about security they will have to do something about the open borders between the UK & elsewhere.
The EU have stipulated that if the UK leaves the single market then ther will have to be customs points between the N. & S. not surprising the amount of smuggling that used to go on.
The EU is very keen to preserve the GF Agreement, we may be seeing the beginning of a united Ireland? Maybe the EU will insist Ireland become full members and join the Schenen agreement?

http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-UK-Brexit-Schengen-Common-Travel-Area-EU-Council

A border has to happen but you can bet it wont be in Ireland. Solution? Simple, give them the referendum they want and are entitled to as part of the GF surrender and walk away from Ulster. Repatriate any Unionists who want to come over. Dunno what that would mean for the many Unionists who not unreasonably would want to stay in their homes though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 13:06 - May 31 with 4889 viewsNo9

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 13:05 - May 31 by chicoazul

A border has to happen but you can bet it wont be in Ireland. Solution? Simple, give them the referendum they want and are entitled to as part of the GF surrender and walk away from Ulster. Repatriate any Unionists who want to come over. Dunno what that would mean for the many Unionists who not unreasonably would want to stay in their homes though.

As I pointed out, we may be witnessing the beginning of the reunification of Ireland.
If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 13:07 - May 31 with 4887 viewschicoazul

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 13:06 - May 31 by No9

As I pointed out, we may be witnessing the beginning of the reunification of Ireland.

No that began when we surrendered to the IRA.

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 13:23 - May 31 with 4871 viewssyntaxerror

If the Tories fail to get an overall majority, surely May has to go? (n/t) on 12:15 - May 31 by gordon

Interesting discussion here, and as a labour voter, its nice to see Corbyn doing so well.

I worry its a false dawn though, for 2 reasons.

1) Social media is generally a young demographic, more likely to show labour support.

2) The tabloids have yet to properly kick in, but will in the next few days and will hammer Corbyn with anything that can. And they influence a huge part of the electorate, a lot of whom are less likely to use social media.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024