Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone grown a pineapple before? 13:11 - Jun 19 with 8709 viewsLord_Lucan

My half whisky barrels have arrived and I thought I might have a bash at one. Takes three years apparently.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:23 - Jun 19 with 5667 viewsearlsgreenblue

No, but they should have a unique flavour.........Got lemons, oranges, figs, lemon grass, pak choy, yard long beans.
Currently trying to grow torch ginger!
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:28 - Jun 19 with 5645 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:23 - Jun 19 by earlsgreenblue

No, but they should have a unique flavour.........Got lemons, oranges, figs, lemon grass, pak choy, yard long beans.
Currently trying to grow torch ginger!

That's all very interesting. How easy - and what length of time to grow lemons, oranges and pak choi? My barrels are amazing - 3ft dia x 2ft deep. They deserve something special. They usually cost £100 but I got 8 for £200 - delivered from Scotland. Garden now stinks of whisky though.

Any other recommendations accepted and appreciated.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:35 - Jun 19 with 5607 viewsbluewein

Seeing the title of this thread just made me laugh a lot harder than it should have.

Reading the forum this morning makes me think of a pub full of people argueing and fighting with each other as loudly as possible. Then, it calms down and the moment it goes quiet someone just pipes up with "anybody grown a pineapple before"?

Well, I thought it was funny anyway...
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 13:43]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:37 - Jun 19 with 5593 viewsNewcyBlue

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:28 - Jun 19 by Lord_Lucan

That's all very interesting. How easy - and what length of time to grow lemons, oranges and pak choi? My barrels are amazing - 3ft dia x 2ft deep. They deserve something special. They usually cost £100 but I got 8 for £200 - delivered from Scotland. Garden now stinks of whisky though.

Where did you get these from? Any photos? They sound like something MrsNewcy is after.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:39 - Jun 19 with 5580 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:35 - Jun 19 by bluewein

Seeing the title of this thread just made me laugh a lot harder than it should have.

Reading the forum this morning makes me think of a pub full of people argueing and fighting with each other as loudly as possible. Then, it calms down and the moment it goes quiet someone just pipes up with "anybody grown a pineapple before"?

Well, I thought it was funny anyway...
[Post edited 19 Jun 2017 13:43]

I would probably have read it in the same way.

TBH I keep a distance these days from the mega threads as they all end up the same - nowhere.

I have gained some very knowledgeable advice on here covering an array of unlikely subjects.

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:41 - Jun 19 with 5553 viewsFixed_It

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:37 - Jun 19 by NewcyBlue

Where did you get these from? Any photos? They sound like something MrsNewcy is after.

Couldn't she just use your empties?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:44 - Jun 19 with 5532 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:37 - Jun 19 by NewcyBlue

I bought 8 x large halves. 36" dia x 30" high.

I bought a single one 8 years ago for £80. In the unlikely even you can actually find this size anywhere they will be £100ea. This bloke does them for £20 each and delivered 8 on a pallet down to Ipswich for £44

Incredible value. If I had some spare cash on the hip I would genuinely buy a lorry load.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-and-small-Half-and

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:44 - Jun 19 with 5535 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Having worked on a pineapple farm before, I can honestly say don't.

1) There's a chance of phytophera (heart rot)
2) Requires of a whole manner of chemicals and such
3) and they bloody hurt when you try to remove weeds.

Best bet is just buy one.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:45 - Jun 19 with 5522 viewsfooters

Push the pineapple thread to the top!

Wouldn't you need to put them in a greenhouse or something? Surely can't be hot enough to grow here... OK, I realise this week probably isn't the best time to say that!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:46 - Jun 19 with 5518 viewsbluewein

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:44 - Jun 19 by WickhamsLeftBoot

Blimey. Where are you planting it?!

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:49 - Jun 19 with 5498 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:44 - Jun 19 by WickhamsLeftBoot

Well I'm gonna give it a go.

So there!

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:49 - Jun 19 with 5494 viewsgtsb1966

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:50 - Jun 19 with 5483 viewsblue_oyster

Jason Lee?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:50 - Jun 19 with 5481 viewsDubtractor

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:44 - Jun 19 by Lord_Lucan

I bought 8 x large halves. 36" dia x 30" high.

I bought a single one 8 years ago for £80. In the unlikely even you can actually find this size anywhere they will be £100ea. This bloke does them for £20 each and delivered 8 on a pallet down to Ipswich for £44

Incredible value. If I had some spare cash on the hip I would genuinely buy a lorry load.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-and-small-Half-and

He likes his exclamation marks doesn't he?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:52 - Jun 19 with 5463 viewsbluewein

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:50 - Jun 19 by Dubtractor

He likes his exclamation marks doesn't he?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever noticed how you never see taxers and ancol07 in the same room?!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:10 - Jun 19 with 5395 viewshomer_123

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:28 - Jun 19 by Lord_Lucan

Garden stinks of whisky you say?

How is that different from normal I wonder?????

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:20 - Jun 19 with 5368 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:10 - Jun 19 by homer_123

Garden stinks of whisky you say?

How is that different from normal I wonder?????

I don't drink whisky

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:22 - Jun 19 with 5361 viewsYarraBlue

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:45 - Jun 19 by footers

Wouldn't you need to put them in a greenhouse or something? Surely can't be hot enough to grow here... OK, I realise this week probably isn't the best time to say that!

I've grown a pineapple plant from the tufty, spikey bit (the crown?) at the top of a supermarket bought fruit. Essentially you trim any lower leaves until start to see roots between the leaves, then immerse the roots in water until it 'takes' then stick it in the ground - there are plenty of online tutorials. And you get a nice pineapple to eat whilst you do it.

Am in Australia, but I'd imagine if you put it in a greenhouse you'll fine.
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:28 - Jun 19 with 5336 viewsgerard1947

Don't forget to drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. That's when you'll get a real whiff of the whisky. I've got a few in my garden, they last for years.
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:35 - Jun 19 with 5317 viewsGodzilla

I grew a grapevine in one of my whiskey barrels with some poppies on top, it's been happy for years - needs to be in a sunny sheltered spot with something to eventually cling to.
I also buried one in the ground and made a miniature pond - with plants and some goldfish who were happy enough and grew quite large.
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:03 - Jun 19 with 5263 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 14:35 - Jun 19 by Godzilla

I grew a grapevine in one of my whiskey barrels with some poppies on top, it's been happy for years - needs to be in a sunny sheltered spot with something to eventually cling to.
I also buried one in the ground and made a miniature pond - with plants and some goldfish who were happy enough and grew quite large.

My existing one is used as a raised pond but I lined it in case the whisky killed the fish. I have a grapevine growing up my Pergola and it's huge. It used to give loads of grapes but it hasn't this year as one of the dogs has destroyed the stump.

I have some sizeable plants to put in the barrels, I'll post some pics unless it's too sad.

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:20 - Jun 19 with 5236 viewsearlsgreenblue

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:03 - Jun 19 by Lord_Lucan

My existing one is used as a raised pond but I lined it in case the whisky killed the fish. I have a grapevine growing up my Pergola and it's huge. It used to give loads of grapes but it hasn't this year as one of the dogs has destroyed the stump.

I have some sizeable plants to put in the barrels, I'll post some pics unless it's too sad.

Do the pics...., re. pak choy, didn't take long at all, the rest take time to mature & subsequently bear fruit, i do have a couple of young "yard long beans" ready to plant if you want them, you only need one maybe two depending on how many you are feeding, can bring them into IP1 just let me know.
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:22 - Jun 19 with 5228 viewsGodzilla

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:03 - Jun 19 by Lord_Lucan

Not sad at all, post them, I get grapes too, but they are not edible - very bitter.
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:27 - Jun 19 with 5206 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:46 - Jun 19 by bluewein

Blimey. Where are you planting it?!

It was in Australia, so probably a bit different than the UK, but I still wouldn't bother trying to grow them.
Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 15:28 - Jun 19 with 5206 viewsconnorscontract

Anyone grown a pineapple before? on 13:45 - Jun 19 by footers

Agadoo-doo-doo- push pineapple thread to top
Agadoo-doo-doo cos it needs a pun from hop (py)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024