Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who do the fans want 09:07 - Nov 2 with 10216 viewshype313

I'm trying to ascertain from the varying opinions on here of what we actually want our club to be doing.

Do we want PL and nothing else? it's the golden goose, despite the fact that without significant investment if we were to go up we would still get smashed every week and probably go back down.

Is is just simply some enjoyment on a Saturday afternoon, with reasonable prices, regardless of division?

Some seem to think relegation would be fun, or more enjoyable than the monotony of treading water in this division

For me, I think we have to be realistic where we sit in the football spectrum. We are not a big club, we don't have huge resource, but it shouldn't stop us from having a go. The most enjoyable time for me was the late 90's when we were in the play off's season after season, and as much as we fell short a few times, it still made it exciting and gave us something to hang onto for the following season, and that was what made supporting a the club the most important thing.

If we can replicate those times to a certain degree again, with some positive football, I'll be happy, but then I'm quite a simpleton and don't want for much.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who do the fans want on 09:20 - Nov 2 with 8066 viewschristiand

Personally, I enjoy the competitive side of the Championship, everyone has got a chance of beating everyone else - that's now gone in the Premier League. I think it would be a total horror show if we got promoted as we are too one dimensional and would quickly get exposed with our frailties. Realistically, we aren't even close as a real promotion chasing side, our results and performances reflect that against the better sides this campaign. In answer to your question, I'd like to see us play good passing football and see progression year on year. As a fan, you can see the direction we are heading, i simply cant at the moment. We seem to have been stuck with the same style since MM first arrived, sadly it just hasn't moved on or even evolved.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who do the fans want on 09:23 - Nov 2 with 8054 viewscaught-in-limbo

I think we're resigned to the fact that as long as we have the owner we have, promotion to the Premier League is little more than a dream.

For as long as we have Mick, our football is going to be ugly, but effective enough to keep us in the league.

With those two constants, we can really only hope for two things: a little cup run and to beat Nodge.

I think that's why there's been such a reaction to the derby match. The 2nd half of the match was so dire after a first half where we could have been a couple of goals up.

It's fairly depressing being a town fan and I feel that depression every year when we bow out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round to lower league opposition, because we're "concentrating on the league".
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:25]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Who do the fans want on 09:25 - Nov 2 with 8051 viewshomer_123

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who do the fans want on 09:28 - Nov 2 with 8040 viewsunstableblue

PL would be great, for one thing a full Portman Road and the scale of the match day occasion is fantastic, and obviously star teams and players.

But we're miles away from this, miles. And you want to go up with some chance, a la Huddersfield, or Watford or Burnley.

But I'd be happy in the championship, but just playing a better style of football. Our shape, system, energy, ball retention, incisiveness is terrible - albeit we did prosper against weaker teams earlier this season.

All we want is some sustained attack for some periods of the game, get the crowd going, and some eye pleasing passing. It's not a lot to ask?!?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

on 09:30 - Nov 2 with 8033 views_

Who do the fans want on 09:30 - Nov 2 with 8041 viewsSteve_M

A sense of momentum, of season on season progress with a plan behind it. The biggest regret of Mick's time here will be not building on the relative success of 14/15. MM tried to change too much and ME assumed we could do the same every year on a modest budget.

It's the lack of a plan from ME that is the real problem, it's hard to see last year's hastily scribbled 'five point plan' as anything more than a deflection tactic to keep fans quiet for a bit. It might be a start but I'm not confident that we can evolve to a club that maximises its resources.

Yes, the late 90s were a good time to be a Town fan, I went to uni after relegation in 1995 so football support was more part of my identity than it might have been if I was still in Ipswich. Watching the win over Sheffield United in '99 (4-1 the day Bradford just pipped us for promotion) in a pub with a load of older Liverpool and Everton fans and them really enjoying our football a highlight.

Over those seasons we were the fourth most successful team in the country in terms of points per game, behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Sunderland. There's some payback for that now I suppose....

(I did an MA as well in case anyone wonders why the dates don't make sense).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who do the fans want on 09:35 - Nov 2 with 8017 viewsfactual_blue

I want a club that treats 61-64 year olds more fairly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Who do the fans want on 09:41 - Nov 2 with 8027 viewsGavTWTD

I definately don't want relegation. The risks are too great.

I'd personally like some more play-off action. Get into the premier every 5 years. That way you have everything.

An occasional cup run into the quarter finals, not capitulation in our first round.

It does annoy me looking at the premiership and you see some clubs of a similar or smaller size and think "why are they still there and we are here"?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Who do the fans want on 09:44 - Nov 2 with 8008 viewsitfcjoe

I'd like to be competing at the top end of the Championship, with a squad with a few youth players from the academy in.

I'd prefer some better football, but if we are in and around the top 6 (And I wouldn't say we are currently.....) then that would do me.

I like going to the games, looking at the league table before the game - enjoying the home games and seeing how we sit in the table afterwards. At the moment even though we aren't far off I don't look at the table and think about the permutations.

Admittedly some top quality passing football a la Pep's Man City would go down nicely, but that isn't the be all and end all to me.

EDIT - And I'd like to see us give it a go in the cup competitions - especially the FA Cup. Our record in this is embarrassing and it would only take a couple of favourable draws and a couple of good results and we'd be in for a chance of a semi at Wembley. Pathetic how we treat this competition.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:46]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Who do the fans want on 09:50 - Nov 2 with 7993 viewsGuthrum

I'm probably in a similar position, would like us to be at least regularly challenging, maybe the odd excursion into the top tier, winning more often than losing, scoring goals, playing like a team and with some confidence.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Who do the fans want on 09:53 - Nov 2 with 7980 viewshype313

Who do the fans want on 09:41 - Nov 2 by GavTWTD

I definately don't want relegation. The risks are too great.

I'd personally like some more play-off action. Get into the premier every 5 years. That way you have everything.

An occasional cup run into the quarter finals, not capitulation in our first round.

It does annoy me looking at the premiership and you see some clubs of a similar or smaller size and think "why are they still there and we are here"?

On your last point I was thinking exactly the same the other day, Stoke, West Brom, Watford, Burnley etc are all way above us, it's frustrating.

Who do the fans want on 09:55 - Nov 2 with 7970 viewshype313

Who do the fans want on 09:35 - Nov 2 by factual_blue

Yep, reversing that decision would be the least they could do, whilst gaining a little bit of goodwill.

Who do the fans want on 09:57 - Nov 2 with 7962 viewsSoroche

Who do the fans want on 09:30 - Nov 2 by Steve_M

A sense of momentum, of season on season progress with a plan behind it. The biggest regret of Mick's time here will be not building on the relative success of 14/15. MM tried to change too much and ME assumed we could do the same every year on a modest budget.

It's the lack of a plan from ME that is the real problem, it's hard to see last year's hastily scribbled 'five point plan' as anything more than a deflection tactic to keep fans quiet for a bit. It might be a start but I'm not confident that we can evolve to a club that maximises its resources.

Yes, the late 90s were a good time to be a Town fan, I went to uni after relegation in 1995 so football support was more part of my identity than it might have been if I was still in Ipswich. Watching the win over Sheffield United in '99 (4-1 the day Bradford just pipped us for promotion) in a pub with a load of older Liverpool and Everton fans and them really enjoying our football a highlight.

Over those seasons we were the fourth most successful team in the country in terms of points per game, behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Sunderland. There's some payback for that now I suppose....

(I did an MA as well in case anyone wonders why the dates don't make sense).

All excellent posts. Where l think things have gone wrong at Portman Road is the focus on solely 'the team'. Mick McCarthy has stated that he sees his brief as solely being to get results. Successful managers past and present have looked at the bigger picture; getting everyone on board. In Bobby Robson's time there was a feeling of everyone pulling together to create a sense of identity. If you look at the famous discussion between Don Revie and Clough after he was sacked, Revie's main complaint against Clough was that he didn't engage with all people at the club. I get the impression that Wagner at Huddersfield created an identity and Wilder is doing the same at Sheffield United. What l am saying is that if you engage on friendly terms with the supporters then that good will will translate into results. I refer to the banner at the back of the Sir Bobby stand in which he articulates what a club should be.
Who do the fans want on 09:59 - Nov 2 with 7948 viewsuncle

I want us to compete at the top end of the championship, compete in every match, play decent attacking football where the other team have to worry about what we're going to do and i'd like to think that we could go up and hold our own.

We're not quite there yet, i think.
Who do the fans want on 10:02 - Nov 2 with 7935 viewsGuthrum

Who do the fans want on 09:53 - Nov 2 by hype313

On your last point I was thinking exactly the same the other day, Stoke, West Brom, Watford, Burnley etc are all way above us, it's frustrating.

That's one of the issues with having football separated into self-contained divisions, with limited transfer across the boundaries. It is possible to become stuck one or other side of the gap. If a team finishes 17th in the Prem every season, they will never go down, even tho they may in fact be worse, one-on-one, than the team 7th in the Championship (who cannot go up).

Who do the fans want on 10:04 - Nov 2 with 7922 viewshype313

Who do the fans want on 10:02 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

That's one of the issues with having football separated into self-contained divisions, with limited transfer across the boundaries. It is possible to become stuck one or other side of the gap. If a team finishes 17th in the Prem every season, they will never go down, even tho they may in fact be worse, one-on-one, than the team 7th in the Championship (who cannot go up).

Play off between the two like they do in Rugby?

Who do the fans want on 10:15 - Nov 2 with 7894 viewsbluewein

Who do the fans want on 09:35 - Nov 2 by factual_blue

Are you thinking of your grandchildren here?

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Who do the fans want on 10:26 - Nov 2 with 7877 viewsHarryfromBath

I am pretty much with Guthrum on this, wanting us to compete with the occasional success and to play brightly. Guthrum also mentioned playing with confidence and this is an important component which I feel is missing on the pitch and in the stands right now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the reaction to the derby defeat, when we had much in our favour, was telling as I felt that it hit many of us harder than we expected. The seeds of this lack of confidence go back before Mick's time but I do think that this has eroded our expectations.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Who do the fans want on 10:48 - Nov 2 with 7850 viewsGuthrum

Who do the fans want on 10:26 - Nov 2 by HarryfromBath

I am pretty much with Guthrum on this, wanting us to compete with the occasional success and to play brightly. Guthrum also mentioned playing with confidence and this is an important component which I feel is missing on the pitch and in the stands right now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the reaction to the derby defeat, when we had much in our favour, was telling as I felt that it hit many of us harder than we expected. The seeds of this lack of confidence go back before Mick's time but I do think that this has eroded our expectations.

For me, that was a significant factor in 2014-15 - we were, a lot of the time, playing with a great deal of confidence. Men like Steven Hunt, Jay Tabb, Tyrone Mings and Daryl Murphy in his pomp contributed to that atmosphere. Town currently seem to lack that kind of positive arrogance, there is a fear of losing rather than a confidence in going for the win.

I thought Waghorn and Garner might add that back in again, which they did at the start. But things have slipped away as we began to struggle.

Possibly it's through my interest in military history, but I consider morale to be an extremely important factor in success.

Who do the fans want on 10:52 - Nov 2 with 7843 viewsReuser_is_God

Just to enjoy watching Ipswich again.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Who do the fans want on 11:08 - Nov 2 with 7814 viewsSteve_M

Who do the fans want on 10:48 - Nov 2 by Guthrum

For me, that was a significant factor in 2014-15 - we were, a lot of the time, playing with a great deal of confidence. Men like Steven Hunt, Jay Tabb, Tyrone Mings and Daryl Murphy in his pomp contributed to that atmosphere. Town currently seem to lack that kind of positive arrogance, there is a fear of losing rather than a confidence in going for the win.

I thought Waghorn and Garner might add that back in again, which they did at the start. But things have slipped away as we began to struggle.

Possibly it's through my interest in military history, but I consider morale to be an extremely important factor in success.

What is notable about Waghorn in particular is that the doesn't wait to think about things, he passes, crosses or shoots quickly. Garner did in his first few matches but a bit less since.

The lack of belief is one of the reasons the squad badly needed a refresh last season. Adeyemi and Huws should help here, as have Nydam and Downes I think.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who do the fans want on 11:12 - Nov 2 with 7797 viewsGuthrum

Who do the fans want on 11:08 - Nov 2 by Steve_M

What is notable about Waghorn in particular is that the doesn't wait to think about things, he passes, crosses or shoots quickly. Garner did in his first few matches but a bit less since.

The lack of belief is one of the reasons the squad badly needed a refresh last season. Adeyemi and Huws should help here, as have Nydam and Downes I think.

Probably contributes to his high scoring rate - doesn't give the opposition time to react before getting his shot away.

Who do the fans want on 11:20 - Nov 2 with 7772 viewsLightningboy

I want to get back to how things were circa 1996-2001.

Every single defeat hurt and every single win felt wonderful.

I've had those feelings slowly drained out of me during the last 8 and a half years.
Who do the fans want on 11:24 - Nov 2 with 7760 viewsFreddy

New Owner
Who do the fans want on 12:01 - Nov 2 with 7709 viewsconnorscontract

on 09:30 - Nov 2 by _

I bet you never feel more like singing the blues, when that happens. Oh, and when Norwich lose, of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024