Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young players coming through 12:37 - Jan 31 with 1864 viewsWestover

I know we are not happy with the way things have gone this season but I think we have to give Town's youth policy some credit players like Nydam Downes Woolfenden Smith Dozzell Drinan Folami Morris plus the two lads coming in today it looks to me that our club has a good future going forward.

Young players coming through on 12:39 - Jan 31 with 1856 viewsitfcjoe

It definitely does, not all will make it - but another key thing is that Evans is afording the academy the budget to keep hold of players until they 20-21 as opposed to 18-19 and we can have a better look at their development and see them in mens football.

For someone like Chris Smith it means he has earned a new deal, whereas Adam McDonnell and George Fowler haven't done enough - those players could have been the other way round had we made a decision last season, but 12 months extra data helps us make a better decision

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Young players coming through on 12:43 - Jan 31 with 1831 viewsHerbivore

Young players coming through on 12:39 - Jan 31 by itfcjoe

It definitely does, not all will make it - but another key thing is that Evans is afording the academy the budget to keep hold of players until they 20-21 as opposed to 18-19 and we can have a better look at their development and see them in mens football.

For someone like Chris Smith it means he has earned a new deal, whereas Adam McDonnell and George Fowler haven't done enough - those players could have been the other way round had we made a decision last season, but 12 months extra data helps us make a better decision

If we're ever going to get out of this division the academy is key. We can't afford £3m plus players so we need to be developing them ourselves. Supplement that with Webster type signings and the odd Waghorn and it's possible to build a decent squad. It may take time and will probably involve selling a few along the way but it's the only way under our current model, personally I'm okay with that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Young players coming through on 12:46 - Jan 31 with 1812 viewsbontcho

I really hope with the season fizzling out MM gives the younger players a go. Not all in one go in one fixture like he did last year but dropping two or three in then rotating them around. Even a spot on the bench and being part of the match day squad is an education to some of the younger players.

To me, given we're not going to compete financially, we have to produce our own and step 1 of that is to show promising kids they'll get games so will choose ITFC rather than (say) London clubs. We are fortunate as the only other serious football club within 45 miles is Colchester.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Young players coming through on 12:46 - Jan 31 with 1815 viewsArnieM

its great that we are producing / developing these young players. Something we had traditionally been quite good at, and yes, we know that there is a high drop out rate .

BUT for those that are good enough to make the senior squad, the final nod comes from the manager. Have we got the right manager , to facilitate that final progression? Im not so sure.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Young players coming through on 12:47 - Jan 31 with 1810 viewsitfcjoe

Young players coming through on 12:43 - Jan 31 by Herbivore

If we're ever going to get out of this division the academy is key. We can't afford £3m plus players so we need to be developing them ourselves. Supplement that with Webster type signings and the odd Waghorn and it's possible to build a decent squad. It may take time and will probably involve selling a few along the way but it's the only way under our current model, personally I'm okay with that.

It's also realising these players can be the cheap option too, and that generally if they are still here by time they are 20-21 they will be generally capable of filling in a bit if required.

Gone are the days when boys are signed at 16, debut 3 years later and are nowhere near good enough - these boys have all been in pro football since they were 8 or 9 so they can all cope to an extent.

I think that is an area Mick could improve in, but generally he's handled young players better especially towards the latter parts of his tenure.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Young players coming through on 12:51 - Jan 31 with 1779 viewsbontcho

We will always have to sell players, but selling Taricco and Dyer in the 90s were the reason we were able to (in the end) go up. Plus a young kid with ambition wants to play for us and then move to a bigger club and we shouldn't stop that, as then others might choose a different club.

Bulgarian penalty hero

Young players coming through on 12:51 - Jan 31 with 1782 viewsSomethingBlue

Young players coming through on 12:46 - Jan 31 by ArnieM

its great that we are producing / developing these young players. Something we had traditionally been quite good at, and yes, we know that there is a high drop out rate .

BUT for those that are good enough to make the senior squad, the final nod comes from the manager. Have we got the right manager , to facilitate that final progression? Im not so sure.

The evidence suggests we have. Let's hope next season's manager is similarly minded to promote the kids.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Young players coming through on 12:53 - Jan 31 with 1770 viewshomer_123

And factoring in the odd lower league signing as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Young players coming through on 12:54 - Jan 31 with 1762 viewshomer_123

Young players coming through on 12:51 - Jan 31 by SomethingBlue

The evidence suggests we have. Let's hope next season's manager is similarly minded to promote the kids.

Yes, I'd say (hand forced or not) MM has been pretty good with giving game time to younger players.

Bish and Dozzell would certainly have had a lot more playing time were it not for injuries.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Young players coming through on 12:58 - Jan 31 with 1740 viewsbontcho

Young players coming through on 12:51 - Jan 31 by SomethingBlue

This would be my top criteria when looking for a new manager. I suspect that's why McGreal is being considered.

I'd like the mid 90s feeling that my club has a plan to encourage youth rather than seem them as a last resort. To be fair MM has improved in this regard (although his comments before Lincoln last year that it was a game experienced pros kind of showed where his instincts are) but I think we could improve.

Bulgarian penalty hero

Young players coming through on 13:33 - Jan 31 with 1660 viewsbraveblue

How many of those will be in the team on Saturday?
Young players coming through on 13:34 - Jan 31 with 1656 viewsSomethingBlue

Young players coming through on 13:33 - Jan 31 by braveblue

How many of those will be in the team on Saturday?

How many of those would you put in the team on Saturday?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Young players coming through on 13:36 - Jan 31 with 1644 viewsFtnfwest

they're doing a great job, ultimately for a whole host of other clubs
Young players coming through on 13:42 - Jan 31 with 1627 viewsWestSussexBlue

Just think if 5 years ago ME and MM had gone with youth and set an achievable target we would now be much closer to moving in the right direction.
Instead of playing safe and mediocre with Hunt, Chaplow Toure, Douglas, Coke, Tabb etc why wasn’t it recognised by a millionaire businessman and one of the best football manager’s outside the prem that setting a long term plan was the best option to go forward.
ME no plan? Or MM unable to develop youth over a period of years?
Young players coming through on 13:47 - Jan 31 with 1616 viewsHerbivore

Young players coming through on 13:42 - Jan 31 by WestSussexBlue

Just think if 5 years ago ME and MM had gone with youth and set an achievable target we would now be much closer to moving in the right direction.
Instead of playing safe and mediocre with Hunt, Chaplow Toure, Douglas, Coke, Tabb etc why wasn’t it recognised by a millionaire businessman and one of the best football manager’s outside the prem that setting a long term plan was the best option to go forward.
ME no plan? Or MM unable to develop youth over a period of years?

I'm not sure I follow you. The good players coming through now are precisely the result of planning and a long term strategy. I don't see how any of that relates to signing the likes of Chaplow and Hunt on short term deals, we didn't have the quality youngsters we needed at that time and you can't just pluck academy products out of thin air. There will also always be a need to make the odd experienced short term signing to bolster the squad, it's important to have balance.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024