Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s 14:18 - Mar 22 with 4808 viewsPinewoodblue

Help needed so taping into the TWTD knowledge pool. Barclays apply a fee of 2.99% for debit or credit card.Any way I can make payments with lower fees. It is for a cruise that cannot be booked in UK and payment must be in dollars.

Fee on initial deposit of $1000 was £21.70, have 11 further payments to make 1st of each month, although a lot less than the initial payment.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:18 - Mar 22 with 4802 viewsCotty

Halifax clarity credit card. You are welcome!
Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:36 - Mar 22 with 4771 viewsSpruceMoose

Can you use Transferwise? I use it to move money between the UK and US and visa versa, but have to admit, I don't know if you can use it to pay for goods and services as I only use it for personal banking.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:36 - Mar 22 with 4772 viewsNewcyBlue

Prepaid card?

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/dollars/

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:46 - Mar 22 with 4748 viewsFixed_It

Never used it but I'm told Revolut is the way to go for this kind of thing.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:54 - Mar 22 with 4735 viewsVaughan8

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:18 - Mar 22 by Cotty

Halifax clarity credit card. You are welcome!

This. Fee free and a decent exchange rate.

I always use this for foreign currency transactions
Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 15:11 - Mar 22 with 4711 viewsPinewoodblue

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:36 - Mar 22 by NewcyBlue

Prepaid card?

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/dollars/

Can't set up a direct debit that way. Usually take cash, buy from Tesco bank on a Tesco credit card no transaction fees and usually a better rate than elsewhere.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 18:29 - Mar 22 with 4643 viewsTownly

Fair fx.
Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 18:33 - Mar 22 with 4639 viewsbluefunk

Try a Revolute card, it’s a MasterCard facility on which you load £££s then exchange (to a range of currencies) at very close to the interbank rate, then use to make your payments like any card - Barclays are ripping you off, made the same mistake myself at a smaller level. Used my Revolute card for dollars and euros, before that used Caxton which was good but Revolute have much better rates
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 20:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 19:17 - Mar 22 with 4613 viewsSwansea_Blue

I use a prepaid card - weswap, which is a Mastercard. Dead easy to set up. You choose the fee when you create a 'swap' (transfer £ into another currency). It's 2% if you want the conversion instantly, 1.5% in 3 days or 1% if you're happy to wait 7 days (ideal for loading before a holiday, for example). All done via their app. You make the currency conversion, wait the time you chose of instant, 3 or 7 days and then the card is loaded and you can spend.

You would have to wait for them to send you the card, but then you use it like a normal credit card (except load it up in advance).

Just checked my app and the current rates are:
£1:$1.3793 for an instant swap, to £1:$1.3933 for a 7 day wait.

Each transaction is then free of any other charges. The app tracks exchange rates and they send alerts when the pound is strong, so you can pick good times to make the conversations (today it's pretty strong, for example).

No idea if it's the cheapest, but it's really easy to use. Great for overseas payments and on holiday. And I think they now work with all currencies (but handle some slightly differently).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 20:10 - Mar 22 with 4588 viewsbluefunk

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 19:17 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

I use a prepaid card - weswap, which is a Mastercard. Dead easy to set up. You choose the fee when you create a 'swap' (transfer £ into another currency). It's 2% if you want the conversion instantly, 1.5% in 3 days or 1% if you're happy to wait 7 days (ideal for loading before a holiday, for example). All done via their app. You make the currency conversion, wait the time you chose of instant, 3 or 7 days and then the card is loaded and you can spend.

You would have to wait for them to send you the card, but then you use it like a normal credit card (except load it up in advance).

Just checked my app and the current rates are:
£1:$1.3793 for an instant swap, to £1:$1.3933 for a 7 day wait.

Each transaction is then free of any other charges. The app tracks exchange rates and they send alerts when the pound is strong, so you can pick good times to make the conversations (today it's pretty strong, for example).

No idea if it's the cheapest, but it's really easy to use. Great for overseas payments and on holiday. And I think they now work with all currencies (but handle some slightly differently).

That doesn’t sound great, Revolute are offering €1.1457 and $1.41 instant exchange currently. (No particular axe to grind on this but if you’re doing a major exchange that’s a big difference)
Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 20:22 - Mar 22 with 4573 viewsSwansea_Blue

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 20:10 - Mar 22 by bluefunk

That doesn’t sound great, Revolute are offering €1.1457 and $1.41 instant exchange currently. (No particular axe to grind on this but if you’re doing a major exchange that’s a big difference)

Yeah, that's better. I assume all these prepaid cards are slightly different, no doubt pays to shop around.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 20:53 - Mar 22 with 4555 viewsnedpears

Monzo is your best bet.
Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 21:04 - Mar 22 with 4544 viewssuffolkpoker

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 20:53 - Mar 22 by nedpears

Monzo is your best bet.

Monzo is badgers nadgers!!

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 11:00 - Mar 23 with 4461 viewsnoggin

Avoiding extortionate bank fees when paying in $s on 14:36 - Mar 22 by SpruceMoose

Can you use Transferwise? I use it to move money between the UK and US and visa versa, but have to admit, I don't know if you can use it to pay for goods and services as I only use it for personal banking.

This. Very cheap and very good service, in my experience. I've used it for paying for a holiday apartment in the states.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 11:01]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024