Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever 17:39 - May 21 with 3424 viewsMaySixth

be a good choice for our club?

Genuine question as it fills me with dread. Being a good player and good pundit is a different kettle of fish to man-managing 24 professional footballers on a daily basis.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 17:45 - May 21 with 3389 viewslegal_blue

Precisely.

Often, quite mediocre players turn out to be the best managers.

With someone of Lampard's calibre, unless he matches the success of his playing career as manager, he'll be regarded as a failure. Not only that, but he will also only ever be looking to trade up.

Ross could be the making of Ipswich and us the making of him.
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 17:48 - May 21 with 3375 viewsrosseden

its a bit more complex than that though isn't it? I mean, why is any manager a good fit for any role in any industry? You don't start as a manager, at some point you get the chance, and you're either someone who can do it, or you're someone who cant.
Football is slightly different, as you have to finish playing before you manage (in 99% of cases), there aren't many industries where that happens. There also isn't really a precedent on what makes a good manager once you finish playing.
So i think someone like ME who comes from a commercial / corporate world, will be following a process around the candidates, how they interview, what they propose and intend to implement, and how that fits with his vision, then appoint someone that fits...... the only thing you'd hope is that the person appointed is a natural leader (as a player if no experience) or as a manager elsewhere....

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:04 - May 21 with 3325 viewshomer_123

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 17:45 - May 21 by legal_blue

Precisely.

Often, quite mediocre players turn out to be the best managers.

With someone of Lampard's calibre, unless he matches the success of his playing career as manager, he'll be regarded as a failure. Not only that, but he will also only ever be looking to trade up.

Ross could be the making of Ipswich and us the making of him.

I'd suggest that Ross would be looking to trade up as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:11 - May 21 with 3311 viewstiptreeblue

I may be wrong here, but i don`t remember you have endorsing any person that has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the job. Who would you like to be seen as the next manager?
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:36 - May 21 with 3250 viewsMaySixth

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:11 - May 21 by tiptreeblue

I may be wrong here, but i don`t remember you have endorsing any person that has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the job. Who would you like to be seen as the next manager?

You are wrong as I have been endorsing Paul Hurst for a few months (check my previous posts) and I have supported the links to Jack Ross as well.

I would be very happy with either of those.

My preferred choice from the off was Nathan Jones but those links seem to have faded.

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:40 - May 21 with 3232 viewstiptreeblue

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:36 - May 21 by MaySixth

You are wrong as I have been endorsing Paul Hurst for a few months (check my previous posts) and I have supported the links to Jack Ross as well.

My preferred choice from the off was Nathan Jones but those links seem to have faded.

no problem, sorry, i just couldn`t remember them
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:47 - May 21 with 3214 viewstractorboy1978

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 17:48 - May 21 by rosseden

its a bit more complex than that though isn't it? I mean, why is any manager a good fit for any role in any industry? You don't start as a manager, at some point you get the chance, and you're either someone who can do it, or you're someone who cant.
Football is slightly different, as you have to finish playing before you manage (in 99% of cases), there aren't many industries where that happens. There also isn't really a precedent on what makes a good manager once you finish playing.
So i think someone like ME who comes from a commercial / corporate world, will be following a process around the candidates, how they interview, what they propose and intend to implement, and how that fits with his vision, then appoint someone that fits...... the only thing you'd hope is that the person appointed is a natural leader (as a player if no experience) or as a manager elsewhere....

You'd assume Ross has been headhunted because ME and/or people he trusts rate the job he's done at Alloa and more notably, St Mirren. Ditto, Hurst and his previous record. Doing the right thing and saying the right things aren't really comparable which is why I put both of them well ahead of Lampard. I think saying the right thing is very easy, particularly when the specification for the job has been very well publicised.

As mentioned elsewhere, I find head hunting someone, putting them through two interviews and then cooling off until we've spoken to someone else (as seems to be the case) all rather odd.
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:52 - May 21 with 3186 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:02 - May 21 with 3162 viewsMaySixth

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:40 - May 21 by tiptreeblue

no problem, sorry, i just couldn`t remember them

ok

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:35 - May 21 with 3100 viewsArcher4721

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:47 - May 21 by tractorboy1978

You'd assume Ross has been headhunted because ME and/or people he trusts rate the job he's done at Alloa and more notably, St Mirren. Ditto, Hurst and his previous record. Doing the right thing and saying the right things aren't really comparable which is why I put both of them well ahead of Lampard. I think saying the right thing is very easy, particularly when the specification for the job has been very well publicised.

As mentioned elsewhere, I find head hunting someone, putting them through two interviews and then cooling off until we've spoken to someone else (as seems to be the case) all rather odd.

For all you know ME has offered it to him and he's now stalling in the hope of something better to come along. At this time of year it's the managers who hold all the cards and can be choosy as there is no rush for them to step into a new job.
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:36 - May 21 with 3094 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:36 - May 21 by MaySixth

Shame about Jones as he seems the complete antidote to MickMa.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:38 - May 21 with 3086 viewsPendejo

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 18:52 - May 21 by BryanPlug

Who gives them their first job?

SAF wasn't born into a managerial job, he had to have a first managerial job and surely that followed an interview process? Bobby Robson, Alf Ramsey, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho etc etc Someone had to give them their first job.
I dare say someone rejected them also.

Similarly very experienced successful managers sometimes crash & burn. Hodgson is an example where he seems to be successful at every other club.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:45 - May 21 with 3071 viewsStuartBrett8

Lampard has a lot of friends in the game, a lot of ears to bend if needed, how many world class managers was he under at Chelsea, he'd bring a decent backroom staff with him and he'd have contacts in the prem to be first in the queue for loans. Not just Chelsea, he has links to West Ham, Newcastle, Man Utd and Man City... I'd be delighted if he got the job :)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:47 - May 21 with 3063 viewsSpruceMoose

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:45 - May 21 by StuartBrett8

Lampard has a lot of friends in the game, a lot of ears to bend if needed, how many world class managers was he under at Chelsea, he'd bring a decent backroom staff with him and he'd have contacts in the prem to be first in the queue for loans. Not just Chelsea, he has links to West Ham, Newcastle, Man Utd and Man City... I'd be delighted if he got the job :)

Maybe he can tempt Pirlo back, using those New York connections...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:48 - May 21 with 3058 viewsStuartBrett8

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:47 - May 21 by SpruceMoose

Maybe he can tempt Pirlo back, using those New York connections...

Still more mobile than Douglas ;)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:58 - May 21 with 3017 viewsmanchego

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:45 - May 21 by StuartBrett8

You have no idea what his backroom staff would be.
This season we had loan players from City, Spurs and Everton. Seems like we are already decent at that.
I still want to hear what his USP is.
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:01 - May 21 with 3012 viewsgordon

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 19:38 - May 21 by Pendejo

Who gives them their first job?

SAF wasn't born into a managerial job, he had to have a first managerial job and surely that followed an interview process? Bobby Robson, Alf Ramsey, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho etc etc Someone had to give them their first job.
I dare say someone rejected them also.

Similarly very experienced successful managers sometimes crash & burn. Hodgson is an example where he seems to be successful at every other club.

SAF got his first manager job at East Stirlingshire, a part-time role, paid a few quid a week. In other words, he started at the bottom and worked his way up, to St Mirren first, then Aberdeen. By the time he was Aberdeen manager, a roughly similar status club to ITFC, he had 5 years managerial experience.
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:05 - May 21 with 3000 viewsgordon

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:01 - May 21 by gordon

SAF got his first manager job at East Stirlingshire, a part-time role, paid a few quid a week. In other words, he started at the bottom and worked his way up, to St Mirren first, then Aberdeen. By the time he was Aberdeen manager, a roughly similar status club to ITFC, he had 5 years managerial experience.

Also Mourinho spent about 10 years working with Bobby Robson and Van Gaal before getting his first managerial job.
Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:39 - May 21 with 2942 viewsSlambo

Absolutely. If Frank Lampard wants to get into management, he should get all his badges, work as an understudy somewhere, then cut his teeth in non-league or lower professional leagues before EARNING a move to a Championship or even Premier League club. Stuns me that people actual entertain the idea of Lampard, or Scott Parker, or f**king Stephen Gerrard before them, managing our club. I work as a teacher and certainly wouldn't want some wan university graduate being parachuted in to become head. I imagine it's the same in every industry the TWTD posters work in...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:52 - May 21 with 2915 viewsBryanPlug

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:39 - May 21 by Slambo

Absolutely. If Frank Lampard wants to get into management, he should get all his badges, work as an understudy somewhere, then cut his teeth in non-league or lower professional leagues before EARNING a move to a Championship or even Premier League club. Stuns me that people actual entertain the idea of Lampard, or Scott Parker, or f**king Stephen Gerrard before them, managing our club. I work as a teacher and certainly wouldn't want some wan university graduate being parachuted in to become head. I imagine it's the same in every industry the TWTD posters work in...

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 08:22 - May 22 with 2747 viewsitfcjoe

Why would someone with no managerial experience whatsoever on 20:39 - May 21 by Slambo

I think that route doesn't really work for the big stars, but they need to show more time on the grass definitely. Gerrard had been doing that with the Liverpool youth team, whereas Lampard hasn't as yet.

In any industry some people will be fast tracked, and it's no surprise they are - but someone like Lampard seems to have never coached, whereas when you read about Scott Parker he was coaching the U15s etc when he was still a player 6 or 7 years ago and has been continuously coaching since then.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024