Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting 11:25 - Jul 12 with 2560 viewsStokieBlue

Trump has apparently told the wealthiest countries in NATO to meet 2% spending by January 2019 or the US will be going it alone.

Just another reason why Brexit is a bad idea, even without NATO a proper EU army would be good enough.

SB

Edit: Sounds like he's "won" if his spin is anything to go by. Now announcing 33bn increase in NATO spending by non-US nations.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 11:27]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:27 - Jul 12 with 1582 viewsArcher4721

Yeah but he's "best friends" with Boris Johnson so it's ok.
Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:27 - Jul 12 with 1571 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:27 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

Both total tools.

SB
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 11:28]

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 1570 viewschicoazul

It is an absolute piss take that one of the richest industrial nations on Earth in Germany doesnt meet its' commitment to NATO. NATO is a piss take in itself of course.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:29 - Jul 12 with 1561 viewsGuthrum

Problem is, any European army would be using a lot of US equipment and tech.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:31 - Jul 12 with 1540 viewsWeWereZombies

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:27 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

And he thinks he is friends with Putin.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:38 - Jul 12 with 1500 viewsfooters

If the US wants to continue its expansionist military policies that's up to them. No reason European nations should be getting involved (again) with it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:38 - Jul 12 with 1500 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:29 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

Problem is, any European army would be using a lot of US equipment and tech.

It would to begin with but it doesn't have to longer term. I can't think of a single thing off the top of my head which the US would actually sell us that the EU couldn't create themselves.

SB

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:39 - Jul 12 with 1484 viewschicoazul

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:38 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

It would to begin with but it doesn't have to longer term. I can't think of a single thing off the top of my head which the US would actually sell us that the EU couldn't create themselves.

SB

Trident?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:41 - Jul 12 with 1475 viewsLord_Lucan

I think Brexit is irrelevant on this matter and to be fair I think Trump has a point on this one, USA spends nearly 4% and I believe we already spend over 2% anyway.

If we all want NATO to get involved with our problems why should USA fund it? Let's face it, USA don't need NATO, we are asking USA to fund the defence of Europe.

I don't see how he hasn't got a point.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:41 - Jul 12 with 1473 viewsblueislander

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:31 - Jul 12 by WeWereZombies

And he thinks he is friends with Putin.

And Kim of course.
Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:41 - Jul 12 with 1473 viewsBrianTablet

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:38 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

SB

Isolationism?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:42 - Jul 12 with 1461 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's a dichotomy. Why is the answer to guns 'more guns' at an international level (i.e. all this trump nonsense at the moment) and lots of people seem to support Trump on this. But at a national level (e.g. America) it isn't the answer and people rightly think it's a stupid idea?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:43 - Jul 12 with 1445 viewsLord_Lucan

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:38 - Jul 12 by footers

If the US wants to continue its expansionist military policies that's up to them. No reason European nations should be getting involved (again) with it.

That's a stupid argument. If you want NATO defence then pay for it, if you don't then withdraw.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:44 - Jul 12 with 1441 viewschicoazul

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:42 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

Here's a dichotomy. Why is the answer to guns 'more guns' at an international level (i.e. all this trump nonsense at the moment) and lots of people seem to support Trump on this. But at a national level (e.g. America) it isn't the answer and people rightly think it's a stupid idea?

Neoliberals and Globalists get themselves very confused by this. Look at the grudging respect they gave Trump when he got the toys out in Syria recently.

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:45 - Jul 12 with 1430 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:39 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Trident?

French have their own submarine nuclear missiles independent of Trident.

It's also something the UK could create given the time, money and inclination.

SB

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:45 - Jul 12 with 1428 viewsfooters

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:43 - Jul 12 by Lord_Lucan

That's a stupid argument. If you want NATO defence then pay for it, if you don't then withdraw.

Defence from what? That's my point. We haven't needed to defend ourselves since the war. NATO shouldn't really exist now anyway. If America wants to go and play in the South China Sea, that's their business.

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:46 - Jul 12 with 1422 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:42 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think that is the issue.

The issue is countries not doing things they agreed, spending the money elsewhere and then expecting someone else to pick up the bill.

More guns isn't the answer as you say.

SB

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:47 - Jul 12 with 1417 viewsGuthrum

SB

F35s for our aircraft carriers. Sidewinder missiles.

There's a lot of technology which it's not so much impossible for the EU to develop, more that they couldn't afford to. Plus you have the issue that NATO stuff is all standardised. How long would that last is it were just down to Europe?

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:48 - Jul 12 with 1406 viewschicoazul

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:45 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

French have their own submarine nuclear missiles independent of Trident.

It's also something the UK could create given the time, money and inclination.

SB

You think the French would share their nuke tech with the rest of the EU? The UK are of course leaving (sort of).

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:49 - Jul 12 with 1399 viewschicoazul

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:45 - Jul 12 by footers

Defence from what? That's my point. We haven't needed to defend ourselves since the war. NATO shouldn't really exist now anyway. If America wants to go and play in the South China Sea, that's their business.

Correct. NATO is a Cold War relic and should be broken up. Eastern Europe shouldnt need US troops anymore. It's been nearly 30 years since the Wall came down.

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:49 - Jul 12 with 1395 viewsPinewoodblue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:41 - Jul 12 by Lord_Lucan

I think Brexit is irrelevant on this matter and to be fair I think Trump has a point on this one, USA spends nearly 4% and I believe we already spend over 2% anyway.

If we all want NATO to get involved with our problems why should USA fund it? Let's face it, USA don't need NATO, we are asking USA to fund the defence of Europe.

I don't see how he hasn't got a point.

Someone needs to remind Donald Trump of commitments not being met by USA such as foreign aid while they do more in cash terms they are nowhere near the 0.7% of GDP they signed up to. Both UK & Germany meet this commitment.

They do however gift billions of dollars worth of military equipment to Israel such as the F35 which recently bombed targets in Gazza.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:50 - Jul 12 with 1390 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:47 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

F35s for our aircraft carriers. Sidewinder missiles.

There's a lot of technology which it's not so much impossible for the EU to develop, more that they couldn't afford to. Plus you have the issue that NATO stuff is all standardised. How long would that last is it were just down to Europe?

Is is standardised?

The French design and build their own systems independent of US standards and don't use sidewinders. Turkey buys stuff from the Russians (which is pretty weird).

F35's are a joint project with a number of countries, once again though, it's not something the EU couldn't do as a block if it so wanted.

I do agree on the NATO standarisation point but if it was a EU army with an EU budget and everyone working on the same projects then standardisation would come by default.

SB
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 11:50]

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:51 - Jul 12 with 1382 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:48 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

You think the French would share their nuke tech with the rest of the EU? The UK are of course leaving (sort of).

My original point was based on a scenario where the UK didn't leave and there was a single EU military.

SB

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:51 - Jul 12 with 1379 viewsGuthrum

A lot of this is not about guns, per se, but about technology. Radar systems, control, communications, countermeasures. They are the really expensive things. NATO philosophy has always been to use technology to defeat superior numbers in potential enemies.

Sounds like it's massively kicked off a the NATO meeting on 11:52 - Jul 12 with 1378 viewsfooters

Also, isn't it a bit arbitrary to commit to 2% GDP anyway. It's like going for your weekly food shop without writing a list and buying a hundred quid's worth of stuff just for the sake of it.

Identify threats and operational needs then spend accordingly. Or are we all pitching in to help BAE now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024