Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have aliens been discovered? 08:05 - Nov 20 with 5414 viewswkj

Or is this just an excuse to examine quite possibly the single most largest space spliff ever witnessed?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/11/astronomers-to-check-interstella
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 8:05]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:57 - Nov 20 with 4323 viewsWeWereZombies

Given that the article is almost a year old we might ask if you have just woken up after smoking a large one, the object is a very 'non-asteroid' shape though. Maybe aliens have rocket powered rectums and this is the first of a plethora of high velocity stone turds from the rock creatures from beyond the stars that will end civilisation as we know it. Err, Jim.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:03 - Nov 20 with 4309 viewsGeoffSentence

I think it is amazing that they can detect objects in outer space, that are smaller than my garden.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:05 - Nov 20 with 4302 viewssolemio

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:03 - Nov 20 by GeoffSentence

I think it is amazing that they can detect objects in outer space, that are smaller than my garden.

But then you do live at Blenheim Palace.
Have aliens been discovered? on 09:09 - Nov 20 with 4291 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bit of a clickbait subject title, that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:14 - Nov 20 with 4278 viewsGeoffSentence

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:05 - Nov 20 by solemio

But then you do live at Blenheim Palace.

Not quite, I live in the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:16 - Nov 20 with 4276 viewsStokieBlue

It's an interesting object, it's moving at very high speeds tumbling end over end straight through the solar system. It is accelerating thus it's likely it's ejecting matter, otherwise it would need to be artificial. The interesting (and more compelling argument for it being artificial) is that the odds of a rogue body traversing the distances between solar systems and then entering ours are absolutely huge. For that small chance to then coincide with the time frame of us being able to observe the incident increases the odds hugely.

So that leaves 3 realistic options:

1) We were incredibly lucky and we probably won't see such an extra-solar visitor again, the odds just don't support it.

2) We are wrong in our theories on how such objects are thrown out of their solar systems and they are in fact everywhere and it's a common occurrence.

3) Someone sent it this way.

All 3 cases are interesting.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:50 - Nov 20 with 4231 viewsBlueBadger

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:14 - Nov 20 by GeoffSentence

Not quite, I live in the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle.

Plenty of weird creatures living in Sudbury...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Have aliens been discovered? on 11:26 - Nov 20 with 4156 viewssolemio

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:50 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

Plenty of weird creatures living in Sudbury...

Excuse me. Two of our oldest and best friends live in Sudbury....Ah I see what you mean.
Login to get fewer ads

Have aliens been discovered? on 18:42 - Nov 20 with 4012 viewstractorian

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:57 - Nov 20 by WeWereZombies

Given that the article is almost a year old we might ask if you have just woken up after smoking a large one, the object is a very 'non-asteroid' shape though. Maybe aliens have rocket powered rectums and this is the first of a plethora of high velocity stone turds from the rock creatures from beyond the stars that will end civilisation as we know it. Err, Jim.

Something a little more recent.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap181120.html
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 7:40]
Have aliens been discovered? on 20:05 - Nov 20 with 3952 viewsWestSussexBlue

I firmly believe NASA and the US government have substantial evidence of alien life, Area 51 in the Nevada desert is a hotbed of interest and mass security.
We are fed more and more snippets of potential alien life being out there and it’s all building up to an official release in years to come.
Have aliens been discovered? on 21:48 - Nov 20 with 3898 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 20:05 - Nov 20 by WestSussexBlue

I firmly believe NASA and the US government have substantial evidence of alien life, Area 51 in the Nevada desert is a hotbed of interest and mass security.
We are fed more and more snippets of potential alien life being out there and it’s all building up to an official release in years to come.

Area 51 could just be experimental military stuff though couldn't it? Not necessarily of alien origin.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's just a rock bruv (n/t) on 21:52 - Nov 20 with 3900 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Have aliens been discovered? on 23:22 - Nov 20 with 3845 viewsWeWereZombies

Have aliens been discovered? on 18:42 - Nov 20 by tractorian

Ah, thanks for that. Used to log onto APOD faithfully every morning as my way of easing into the working day, a habit I should get back into.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2018 7:42]

It's just a rock bruv (n/t) on 07:50 - Nov 21 with 3746 viewsWeWereZombies

It's just a rock bruv (n/t) on 21:52 - Nov 20 by Dyland

As the Tyrannosaurus Rex said to the Stegosaurus (I know, the first lived in the late Cretaceous and the second in the late Jurassic so they wouldn't have been talking to each other, well not in street anyway. And only the Tyrannosaurus would have been around for the K-T extinction. But still, err, Mick out).

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:12 - Nov 21 with 3718 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 18:42 - Nov 20 by tractorian

Looking at that, couldn't we have stuck some sort of camera onto Oumuamua as it went close to the Earth, and then we could film where it goes into deep space?!

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:17 - Nov 21 with 3707 viewsStokieBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:12 - Nov 21 by BrixtonBlue

Looking at that, couldn't we have stuck some sort of camera onto Oumuamua as it went close to the Earth, and then we could film where it goes into deep space?!

It was moving very, very fast (>100,000mph I believe). We have never had anything go that quickly which you would need to do because in order to attach something you'd need to equalise the velocities.

SB

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:40 - Nov 21 with 3680 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:17 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

It was moving very, very fast (>100,000mph I believe). We have never had anything go that quickly which you would need to do because in order to attach something you'd need to equalise the velocities.

SB

Yeah I thought that. How/why is it moving so fast?

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:55 - Nov 21 with 3673 viewsStokieBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:40 - Nov 21 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah I thought that. How/why is it moving so fast?

That is a very good question.

I don't know the specific answer without looking it up but I suspect it's had some rather large gravity assists when passing other solar systems. It also doesn't have the gravity of the sun to contend with in interstellar space and as it approaches the suns gravity will speed it up as it's pulled in and then slow it down as it leaves the solar system.

There is also another minor boost from the ejection of material which has been melted by the sun.

It's actually very easy to get something to move fast in space, you just need constant acceleration, no matter how tiny. That is why things like ion drives are being researched now because even though the thrust is tiny it is constant so they can achieve huge speeds.

SB

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:18 - Nov 21 with 3648 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 08:55 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

That is a very good question.

I don't know the specific answer without looking it up but I suspect it's had some rather large gravity assists when passing other solar systems. It also doesn't have the gravity of the sun to contend with in interstellar space and as it approaches the suns gravity will speed it up as it's pulled in and then slow it down as it leaves the solar system.

There is also another minor boost from the ejection of material which has been melted by the sun.

It's actually very easy to get something to move fast in space, you just need constant acceleration, no matter how tiny. That is why things like ion drives are being researched now because even though the thrust is tiny it is constant so they can achieve huge speeds.

SB

Cheers.

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:19 - Nov 21 with 3646 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:03 - Nov 20 by GeoffSentence

They can't. It's all photoshopped BECAUSE THAT"S WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO BELIEVE

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:20 - Nov 21 with 3643 viewschicoazul

Can someone check on the humpback whales please?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:43 - Nov 21 with 3628 viewsjjblue84

It’s amazing how people want to believe in aliens despite there being zero evidence ever discovered!!
Have aliens been discovered? on 09:59 - Nov 21 with 3610 viewsBrixtonBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:43 - Nov 21 by jjblue84

It’s amazing how people want to believe in aliens despite there being zero evidence ever discovered!!

I think it's amazing how some people DON'T believe in aliens given how many stars there are and the fact that top scientists say that it is likely given the probability.

Have aliens been discovered? on 10:06 - Nov 21 with 3604 viewsStokieBlue

Have aliens been discovered? on 09:43 - Nov 21 by jjblue84

As we learn more as a species the numbers continually move in favour of there being life, hopefully intelligent life in abundance in the universe.

Fast forward 5000 years, 10000 years, 1000000 years - if humans were still around they would certainly be studying the other life in the universe.

All it will take is the discovery of a second tree of life, either on Earth or elsewhere to make the determination that life is everywhere.

SB

Have aliens been discovered? on 10:23 - Nov 21 with 3591 viewsjjblue84

Have aliens been discovered? on 10:06 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

As we learn more as a species the numbers continually move in favour of there being life, hopefully intelligent life in abundance in the universe.

Fast forward 5000 years, 10000 years, 1000000 years - if humans were still around they would certainly be studying the other life in the universe.

All it will take is the discovery of a second tree of life, either on Earth or elsewhere to make the determination that life is everywhere.

SB

Yep, nada so far! Until then, keep on believing...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024