Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing 09:12 - Jan 19 with 4134 viewstractorshark

Really good read in today’s Sun about the 30 year anniversary of Sergei Baltacha signing for Ipswich.
Some brilliant anecdotes about how the deal happened and what John Duncan told him. Never understood why he played him out of position.
It’s in the centre of the paper.
Also just seen bloke who wrote it has tweeted it here...

Great photo of Sergei running out for the reserves with Town fans in the tunnel. Anyone on here in the picture??
Baltacha’s debut against Stoke would be in my top 10 Town games. The place erupted when he scored. Never forget it.

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:37 - Jan 19 with 4059 viewsFarmerpiles

Yep the ground did erupt when he scored, Duncan played him right midfield! I still have the whole game on vhs somewhere up in my loft. It was the time the club sold the whole matches on vhs unedited with no commentary just sounds of crowd and tannoy announcer. Was played that day on a pitch more resembling a mud flap. We won 5-1 I think. Those were the days.
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:45 - Jan 19 with 4028 viewsnorfsufblue

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:37 - Jan 19 by Farmerpiles

Yep the ground did erupt when he scored, Duncan played him right midfield! I still have the whole game on vhs somewhere up in my loft. It was the time the club sold the whole matches on vhs unedited with no commentary just sounds of crowd and tannoy announcer. Was played that day on a pitch more resembling a mud flap. We won 5-1 I think. Those were the days.

Even back then we were still a club able to inovate and create firsts! Really hope Marcus is serious about getting involed and hope we can again become an innovative organisation.
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:08 - Jan 19 with 3966 viewstractorshark

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:37 - Jan 19 by Farmerpiles

Great day, remember we were attacking Churchmans in that second half. And yes the pitch was terrible. Proper football.
Great quote from Sergei about John Duncan in the piece. Just told him to kick it as far as he could!!
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 11:21 - Jan 19 with 3868 viewsoldburian

I saw the reserves match, it was against Southampton and Alan Shearer was their sub. I think I have still got the 'programme' somewhere.

Also saw the Stoke match, took my two sons and one of their friends who still reminds me of that day when I see him.
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 18:27 - Jan 21 with 3727 viewstractorshark

I remember those VHS recordings the club used to sell.
I think I paid £15 for a recording of a 3-2 win over Watford.
I remember Dalian Atkinson scoring.
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 18:38 - Jan 21 with 3705 viewsSwansea_Blue

Now that’s a thread title I wasn’t expecting to see today. Good find 👍

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 19:59 - Jan 21 with 3621 viewsWussinwhiteboots

Anyone recognise who is running out behind him?
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 20:54 - Jan 21 with 3560 viewsFifeITFC

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 19:59 - Jan 21 by Wussinwhiteboots

Anyone recognise who is running out behind him?

Chris O'Donnell.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 21:01 - Jan 21 with 3539 views3_5_2

I was there, huge excitement about signing the then USSR sweeper, only to play him right mid!

stuffed Stoke and he scored

Was truly a great day (sighs)

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 22:49 - Jan 21 with 3459 viewsgainsboroughblue

All 5 goals in the 2nd half too. 3 assists from Ian Redford (RIP) and yes, the pitch was in an unbelievable state, even allowing for it being in January.

I had a couple of those old VHS's too. Watford 3-2 being one and I think Liverpool 2-1 in 86 being the other. Looking back, £15 is a figure I wouldn't pay now for one of them, let alone 30 years ago.

I don't know how I got hold of it. I presume the club requested some from Elland Road, but I had a copy of us beating Leeds up there 4-2 in that same 88-89 campaign. Again, £15.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 23:45 - Jan 21 with 3409 viewscaught-in-limbo

I remember that Stoke match too. Nil:nil at half time and Baltacha opened the scoring for us (I think).

Most of all I remember Sergeeee! Sergeeee! Sergeeee! being shouted from the North Stand to my right.

Thanks for the memories.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:29 - Jan 22 with 3217 viewsBluespeed225

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 20:54 - Jan 21 by FifeITFC

Chris O'Donnell.

O’Donnell. Was he the ginger bloke, own goal on debut, never seen again?
It was great in The North that day! Think there was a Hammer and Sickle flag, and some fur hats on display. Am I right in saying Mick Mills was Stoke boss at the time?
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:35 - Jan 22 with 3207 viewsgainsboroughblue

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:29 - Jan 22 by Bluespeed225

It was great in The North that day! Think there was a Hammer and Sickle flag, and some fur hats on display. Am I right in saying Mick Mills was Stoke boss at the time?

Partly right. He scored an own goal in the first game of 87-88 season v Villa. It wasn't his debut though. He was given a free transfer but bizzarely was snapped up by Leeds and when they got promotion he was part of a Division One squad.

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:05 - Jan 22 with 3180 viewsFifeITFC

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 09:29 - Jan 22 by Bluespeed225

After checking, he played about 14 games for us before moving to Leeds in their summer signings transfers that included Vinnie Jones, Mickey Thomas, John Hendrie, Jim Beglin and Mel Steel and (got a photo of this lineup).

He seemed to have only made 1 sub appearance for Leeds before moving to Exeter and playing only twice there and moving again to Gateshead.

He played in the 0-0 Play Off Semi against Charlton in 1987 which I uploaded to YouTube.

Yes, Mick Mills was Stoke's manager.

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:11 - Jan 22 with 3172 viewschicoazul

TWTD. I still say that shout is the loudest I have ever heard PR, although I was 14 so memory plays tricks.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2019 10:13]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:12 - Jan 22 with 3171 viewsgainsboroughblue

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:05 - Jan 22 by FifeITFC

After checking, he played about 14 games for us before moving to Leeds in their summer signings transfers that included Vinnie Jones, Mickey Thomas, John Hendrie, Jim Beglin and Mel Steel and (got a photo of this lineup).

He seemed to have only made 1 sub appearance for Leeds before moving to Exeter and playing only twice there and moving again to Gateshead.

He played in the 0-0 Play Off Semi against Charlton in 1987 which I uploaded to YouTube.

Yes, Mick Mills was Stoke's manager.

I think it was his last season there. It was certainly the last time I remember Mills at PR with another club.

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:19 - Jan 22 with 3162 viewsFifeITFC

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:12 - Jan 22 by gainsboroughblue

I think it was his last season there. It was certainly the last time I remember Mills at PR with another club.

Wasn't Mills at PR with Birmingham a few times as Assistant Manager?

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 11:32 - Jan 22 with 3099 viewsgainsboroughblue

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 10:19 - Jan 22 by FifeITFC

Wasn't Mills at PR with Birmingham a few times as Assistant Manager?

Quite possibly now you mention it. He worked with Trevor Francis didn't he?

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 11:58 - Jan 22 with 3067 viewstractorshark

Amazing really how so many of us still look at Baltacha as an Ipswich favourite when, in reality, he was a monumental flop.
Partly down to injury and partly down to John Duncan’s decision to never play him in his natural position.
But that one day, one goal and one win in January will always make him a hero in my book.
That was just an unbelievable moment of unbridled joy at a time when the memories of the 70s and early 80s were beginning to fade.
Still look fondly back at that time and I absolutely willed Sergei to be a success afterwards.
Can’t find my CCCP shirt though and I’m gutted about that.
Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 22:44 - Jan 23 with 2865 viewssoclopath

Great piece in today’s Sun about 30yr anniversary of Baltacha signing on 20:54 - Jan 21 by FifeITFC

Chris O'Donnell.

The guy on the RHS of the pic in shades and clapping is my late old friend Mr Jack Dash,supported ITFC for 50+ yrs,passed away on route home from supporting the town.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024