Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? 10:09 - May 8 with 3394 viewsLord_Lucan

Norwich have massive overheads and a relatively poor owner, we have minimal overheads and a relatively wealthy owner.

I don't know why the powers that be are still discussing this season when it is more than possible there won't be a next season.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:14 - May 8 with 3082 viewsartsbossbeard

We’re becoming a country where money is more important than peoples lives. Over 30k dead and the papers celebrate that we may be relaxing the lockdown on Monday!

Football needs to become a secondary problem. Wait until everything is ok or just scrap it until next season (at the earliest). Why are we so quick to return to normality?

Just think of people before sport.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:17 - May 8 with 3072 viewsmonty_radio

I guess their equivocation is not unrelated to the general state of things a.t.m. when the "powers that be" all seem to have morphed into the powers-that-might-perhaps-maybe-be

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:19 - May 8 with 3066 viewsLord_Lucan

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:14 - May 8 by artsbossbeard

We’re becoming a country where money is more important than peoples lives. Over 30k dead and the papers celebrate that we may be relaxing the lockdown on Monday!

Football needs to become a secondary problem. Wait until everything is ok or just scrap it until next season (at the earliest). Why are we so quick to return to normality?

I don't agree with relaxing the lockdown - if anything I would tighten it.

Thing is though, many people aren't as lucky as us and are desperate to get to work. You are on full wage drinking wine and for us we are busier than ever.

Not everyone is so fortunate, we both also have decent space and gardens. It isn't the same for everyone.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:36 - May 8 with 2990 viewsArnieM

Well it’s got to us hasn’t it . Always bloody is . Put it this way , if Town had had the narwich streak of luck ( when it matters), we’d have won the Champions League AND World Cup all in the same season , easy peasy!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:54 - May 8 with 2916 viewspointofblue

Norwich, of course - they’ve got the TV money and potential parachute payments if required.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:54 - May 8 with 2916 viewshomer_123

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:19 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

Thing is though, many people aren't as lucky as us and are desperate to get to work. You are on full wage drinking wine and for us we are busier than ever.

Not everyone is so fortunate, we both also have decent space and gardens. It isn't the same for everyone.

Exactly what the missus and I were talking about last night.

Others are in an awful situation, much worse than ourselves and need to get back to work.

That being said...I have genuine concerns about 'what' people are expecting to go back and do. Many organisations aren't going to need 'all' their staff back.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:56 - May 8 with 2905 viewsPecker

They will be Championship at worst and we will still be League One. So them, unfortunately.
I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:59 - May 8 with 2908 viewsArnieM

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:19 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

Whilst I agree / accept we probably do need to continue with the Lockdown , from a personal point of view I’m also think “ oh no”!

I live alone. 7 weeks ago I was working, albeit part time ( I’m a semi retired clinician), seeing upwards of 15 patients a day, face to face in GP surgeries, and I interested with doctors and other clinicians on everyday matters. I’m not redeployed , so essentially my
“ world” has shrunk to a few rooms of the house . Yes I have a garden ( I’m lucky , many thousands do not ).

However, for seven weeks now , I have seen no one. Spoken to no one . My routine has been blasted out of the water. I get up, sometimes 5am as “ can’t sleep” or wake early . From that moment until bedtime , I see it speak to not a living soul. I wander from room to room . Not knowing what to do . Believe me , you lose ALL motivation to do even the simplest tasks. I never realised a clock could tick so loud! The tv is by snd large crap , to say nothing of depressing ad every day hundreds more are announced as having died . The total now surpassing every other European Country. My own mortality and well being becoming ever more poignant each day.

I find myself “ listening” to my own thoughts ... hearing my conscious mind mulling things over. I find myself sometimes voicing a thought out loud ( am I going mad ?) , I don’t think so , but it’s strange how the mind works . I have “ ok” days , usually when I can sit in the garden , and be distracted by wildlife I guess. On cold days when I’m stuck in the house , these are the worst days . I feel my mood ( which is pretty flat now anyway), dip to lower depths. I’m not ashamed to say I say in tears on more than one occasion! It gets you like that . Why? I can’t tell you . But the mind tends to mediate towards sad memories ( let’s be honest there’s nothing good in the news). I can’t chat about things to friends or family - there’s no one there . Somehow a phone call or even fs d time just in any the same.

If I do venture to the shop I’m bloody queuing for ages, and I almost feel like a criminal going out. But I guess we had better get used to this style of living , because it’s going to be around for a long while .

So yes, I suspect more time in lockdown is required . I’ll do it , but I think people should just stand in someone else’s shoes Just for a moment before condemning them for wanting an end to all this . Yes we’re alive , safe etc whilst many have paid the ultimate sacrifice. But how many people living alone have decided THEY can’t go on and have taken that final step , but no knows ( yet) because we are all in lockdown .

Mankind is a “ social “ animal . Lockdown in many ways is a slow death of the mind, and physical well being . It’s getting to us all isn’t it .

Finally ....... COYBs !

Login to get fewer ads

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:04 - May 8 with 2889 viewsGuthrum

Would be interesting to know how many people have fallen between stools on furlough, still working and other help schemes available.

I'd guess those in worst are people who have actually been laid off or were on zero-hours contracts, whose only recourse is Universal Credit (waiting 5 weeks for first payment, with the offer of a moderate loan to cover the gap) and with mortgages, which are not covered (altho many lenders are offering payment holidays).

From what I've heard and read, the main pressure seems to be coming from people who have been furloughed and are sat at home, bored, with the cultural work ethic thing constantly pricking their consciences that they ought to be in the office. After all, we've had decades of being told by the media that those who are not working and accepting money from the government are sponging shysters. Now many respectable folk ("never spent a day on the dole in my life") are forced into that very situation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:08 - May 8 with 2864 viewsGuthrum

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:59 - May 8 by ArnieM

Whilst I agree / accept we probably do need to continue with the Lockdown , from a personal point of view I’m also think “ oh no”!

I live alone. 7 weeks ago I was working, albeit part time ( I’m a semi retired clinician), seeing upwards of 15 patients a day, face to face in GP surgeries, and I interested with doctors and other clinicians on everyday matters. I’m not redeployed , so essentially my
“ world” has shrunk to a few rooms of the house . Yes I have a garden ( I’m lucky , many thousands do not ).

However, for seven weeks now , I have seen no one. Spoken to no one . My routine has been blasted out of the water. I get up, sometimes 5am as “ can’t sleep” or wake early . From that moment until bedtime , I see it speak to not a living soul. I wander from room to room . Not knowing what to do . Believe me , you lose ALL motivation to do even the simplest tasks. I never realised a clock could tick so loud! The tv is by snd large crap , to say nothing of depressing ad every day hundreds more are announced as having died . The total now surpassing every other European Country. My own mortality and well being becoming ever more poignant each day.

I find myself “ listening” to my own thoughts ... hearing my conscious mind mulling things over. I find myself sometimes voicing a thought out loud ( am I going mad ?) , I don’t think so , but it’s strange how the mind works . I have “ ok” days , usually when I can sit in the garden , and be distracted by wildlife I guess. On cold days when I’m stuck in the house , these are the worst days . I feel my mood ( which is pretty flat now anyway), dip to lower depths. I’m not ashamed to say I say in tears on more than one occasion! It gets you like that . Why? I can’t tell you . But the mind tends to mediate towards sad memories ( let’s be honest there’s nothing good in the news). I can’t chat about things to friends or family - there’s no one there . Somehow a phone call or even fs d time just in any the same.

If I do venture to the shop I’m bloody queuing for ages, and I almost feel like a criminal going out. But I guess we had better get used to this style of living , because it’s going to be around for a long while .

So yes, I suspect more time in lockdown is required . I’ll do it , but I think people should just stand in someone else’s shoes Just for a moment before condemning them for wanting an end to all this . Yes we’re alive , safe etc whilst many have paid the ultimate sacrifice. But how many people living alone have decided THEY can’t go on and have taken that final step , but no knows ( yet) because we are all in lockdown .

Mankind is a “ social “ animal . Lockdown in many ways is a slow death of the mind, and physical well being . It’s getting to us all isn’t it .

Finally ....... COYBs !

There is a reason why solitary confinement is used as a punishment.

On a practical note, is there anything you can join, in the way of groups or clubs, meeting online via Skype, Zoom, or whatever. Just to get some face-to-face (albit on a screen) human interaction into your day?

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:09 - May 8 with 2851 viewsBluefish

Us because we have Lambert

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:10 - May 8 with 2864 viewshomer_123

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:04 - May 8 by Guthrum

Would be interesting to know how many people have fallen between stools on furlough, still working and other help schemes available.

I'd guess those in worst are people who have actually been laid off or were on zero-hours contracts, whose only recourse is Universal Credit (waiting 5 weeks for first payment, with the offer of a moderate loan to cover the gap) and with mortgages, which are not covered (altho many lenders are offering payment holidays).

From what I've heard and read, the main pressure seems to be coming from people who have been furloughed and are sat at home, bored, with the cultural work ethic thing constantly pricking their consciences that they ought to be in the office. After all, we've had decades of being told by the media that those who are not working and accepting money from the government are sponging shysters. Now many respectable folk ("never spent a day on the dole in my life") are forced into that very situation.

Again, though, I think over the coming the months the reality of the situation is that the economy isn't going to be turned on like a tap, the way it was turned off.

Irrespective of furlough you are going to see thousands (hundreds of) job losses.

Businesses are not going to need the same amount of people as they dd before as there won't be the same levels of work (if you worked in the high street for example, social distancing will mean footfall will be lower and will be until a vaccine arrives - shops are not going to need the same levels of staffing, then the knock on effect of the supply chain etc., same goes for travel/ holidays/ airlines etc.)

So, whilst there might be a desire to get back to work, my prediction is that a very large % of those furloughed won't have jobs to go back to.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:10 - May 8 with 2861 viewsLord_Lucan

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:59 - May 8 by ArnieM

Finally ....... COYBs !

Sounds like you aren't coping and heading into a depression.

Everyone is different but the only way I cope with things when I am getting down is to think of others who have it worse. Not just people in worse lockdown situations, I know it sounds a bit morbid but whenever I'm feeling a bit low or sorry for myself I think of my mate who's son was knocked over and killed a few years back.

As I say, everyone is different but that's my route of snapping out of it.

Edit. Also, if you are getting up early I would suggest a very long walk.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 11:11]

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:10 - May 8 with 2853 viewshomer_123

Finally ....... COYBs !

PM if you fancy a chat or anything Arnie.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:29 - May 8 with 2785 viewsArnieM

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:10 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

Sounds like you aren't coping and heading into a depression.

Everyone is different but the only way I cope with things when I am getting down is to think of others who have it worse. Not just people in worse lockdown situations, I know it sounds a bit morbid but whenever I'm feeling a bit low or sorry for myself I think of my mate who's son was knocked over and killed a few years back.

As I say, everyone is different but that's my route of snapping out of it.

Edit. Also, if you are getting up early I would suggest a very long walk.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 11:11]

Yes I understand what you’re saying and I do think if those that have actually died from CoVid, so I’m not wanting people to think I’m sat here feeling dory for myself . I was I suppose just trying to explain how it feels day to day and how much had changed in 7 weeks .

To cap it all I’d had a major foot operation in Dec which meant I was house bound for 3 months , and I was just getting bank on my feet and venturing out when lockdown happens lol . You couldn’t write it could you . I still can’t walk abc was due to have a steroid injection for the pain but all clinics got shut down . But I am now able to get out on a bike ( just can’t do it everyday ) .

But I do thank you for your suggestion . Its easy to get wrapped up in yourself I guess .

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:30 - May 8 with 2779 viewsmonty_radio

Finally ....... COYBs !

That's really heartfelt. And I note that you end COYB, but you know that it's not enough. Some good thoughts on here already, encouraging some sort of reset that helps to widen your scope and your search. Best wishes on that.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:31 - May 8 with 2768 viewsArnieM

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:10 - May 8 by homer_123

PM if you fancy a chat or anything Arnie.

Many thanks for that Homer . One day I just might

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:33 - May 8 with 2759 viewsGuthrum

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:10 - May 8 by homer_123

Again, though, I think over the coming the months the reality of the situation is that the economy isn't going to be turned on like a tap, the way it was turned off.

Irrespective of furlough you are going to see thousands (hundreds of) job losses.

Businesses are not going to need the same amount of people as they dd before as there won't be the same levels of work (if you worked in the high street for example, social distancing will mean footfall will be lower and will be until a vaccine arrives - shops are not going to need the same levels of staffing, then the knock on effect of the supply chain etc., same goes for travel/ holidays/ airlines etc.)

So, whilst there might be a desire to get back to work, my prediction is that a very large % of those furloughed won't have jobs to go back to.

I agree. also, many people are going to be skint (or at least 20% less wll off than they might have been), so there won't be the money flowing in.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:36 - May 8 with 2734 viewsBluefish

Finally ....... COYBs !

Anytime that you need to fill a void I will be happy to talk you through what a great manager Mick McCarthy was

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:37 - May 8 with 2740 viewsLord_Lucan

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:29 - May 8 by ArnieM

Yes I understand what you’re saying and I do think if those that have actually died from CoVid, so I’m not wanting people to think I’m sat here feeling dory for myself . I was I suppose just trying to explain how it feels day to day and how much had changed in 7 weeks .

To cap it all I’d had a major foot operation in Dec which meant I was house bound for 3 months , and I was just getting bank on my feet and venturing out when lockdown happens lol . You couldn’t write it could you . I still can’t walk abc was due to have a steroid injection for the pain but all clinics got shut down . But I am now able to get out on a bike ( just can’t do it everyday ) .

But I do thank you for your suggestion . Its easy to get wrapped up in yourself I guess .

I wasn't suggesting that you were getting wrapped up in yourself, I was just trying to explain how I deal with things if I am getting down.

Everyone is different.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 12:21 - May 8 with 2577 viewsmonty_radio

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:29 - May 8 by ArnieM

As a veteran of foot ops you have my sympathy - have sent you p.m. by the way.

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 13:32 - May 8 with 2421 viewsr2d2

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 10:14 - May 8 by artsbossbeard

Well said.
I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 13:55 - May 8 with 2341 viewsr2d2

Finally ....... COYBs !

Do you not have any home hobbies? A garden to do? Model making? There are thousands of kits out there. You can get lost in something like that. Music to listen to? I love getting lost in music for a few hours. Any dvds you want to watch? I grant it the tv is cr@p. Go for a walk? There must be something you can get engrossed in?
I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 18:01 - May 8 with 2085 viewspatrickswell

It’s certainly gong to be a challenge for Norwich, they’ll need Stuart Webber at the top of his game and Farke will have to make some shrewd judgements. In their favour, they have at least had some experience of successfully rising to a challenge. Our chiefs deliver nothing but failure and show every sign of plumbing new depths.
I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 18:25 - May 8 with 2032 viewsNewcyBlue

I wonder who will come out worse through this, Norwich or Ipswich? on 11:31 - May 8 by ArnieM

Many thanks for that Homer . One day I just might

Same here. If you need a chat give me a shout. I can regale you about prostitutes and pirates.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024