Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules 10:02 - May 20 with 3096 viewsKeno

I have just been asked by someone "if Scotland gets independence would a scot living in Scotland been been to automatically have Scottish domesticity or will that only happen after they have lived in Scotland for 18 years after independence"

There is a relevance with regards to potential IHT issues that may arise with that 18 year period

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:04 - May 20 with 1625 viewsPendejo

Meadowbank Thistle

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:13 - May 20 with 1602 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think it will be an issue.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:18 - May 20 with 1589 viewsWeWereZombies

There are so many questionable variables in that proposal that I doubt whether you will get an answer - will there be another referendum? What exactly will we be voting on, as in a Scotland that retains the monarchy and still contributes to the armed forces of the United Kingdom (as was the case in the last referendum) and perhaps has a Sterling currency union? Would the referendum result in independence? Over what timescale, as in how long would it take for a separate Treasury to be established? Would there be reciprocal arrangements similar to those in place for the Republic of Ireland?

As you mention an eighteen year period, and I have just mentioned the Republic, bear in mind that Irish independence was supposedly gained around 1921/22 but the South of Ireland still took part in the Commonwealth Games of 1948 as a member and, technically, with George VI as their sovereign. The drafting of inheritance tax legislation and the settling of transitional arrangements may not even be half completed within your timescale, but in the meantime you may want to investigate any ramifications of a proposal under current Scottish law (don't forget that we have a different legal system up here).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:36 - May 20 with 1563 viewsfactual_blue

I would say the answer to that question is 'yes'.

Or possibly 'no'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:39 - May 20 with 1557 viewsKeno

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:18 - May 20 by WeWereZombies

There are so many questionable variables in that proposal that I doubt whether you will get an answer - will there be another referendum? What exactly will we be voting on, as in a Scotland that retains the monarchy and still contributes to the armed forces of the United Kingdom (as was the case in the last referendum) and perhaps has a Sterling currency union? Would the referendum result in independence? Over what timescale, as in how long would it take for a separate Treasury to be established? Would there be reciprocal arrangements similar to those in place for the Republic of Ireland?

As you mention an eighteen year period, and I have just mentioned the Republic, bear in mind that Irish independence was supposedly gained around 1921/22 but the South of Ireland still took part in the Commonwealth Games of 1948 as a member and, technically, with George VI as their sovereign. The drafting of inheritance tax legislation and the settling of transitional arrangements may not even be half completed within your timescale, but in the meantime you may want to investigate any ramifications of a proposal under current Scottish law (don't forget that we have a different legal system up here).

I would imagine there will be a lot of reciprocal arrangements, not the the clause the the rest of the UK will bail Scotland out again after they go bankrupt!!

Just as Brexot meant Brexit, Independence may mean independence whatever that means

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:41 - May 20 with 1553 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:39 - May 20 by Keno

I would imagine there will be a lot of reciprocal arrangements, not the the clause the the rest of the UK will bail Scotland out again after they go bankrupt!!

Just as Brexot meant Brexit, Independence may mean independence whatever that means

Sturgeon needs to get on with it.

The longer she waits, the more questioned the viability of north sea oil becomes.

Without confidence in funds from north sea oil, they wont get a 'yes' vote.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:46 - May 20 with 1547 viewsDarth_Koont

I don't understand the question really. Are they asking if anyone will actually have right of residency? Or only after 18 years?

In practical terms, Scotland as an independent nation would grant residency to any EU citizen, anyone born in Scotland and likely any UK resident who wants to move there. They need net immigration to grow the economy.

But until it actually happens that's not 100%.

Pronouns: He/Him

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:47 - May 20 with 1542 viewsWeWereZombies

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:39 - May 20 by Keno

Independence may mean a totally separate state with its own head of state, armed forces and currency but it is more likely to be some variant of SuperDevoMax, if it happens at all. Whether England bails out Scotland and Wales (as I understand it the European Union still bails out Northern Ireland) or Scotland bails out England and Wales is a moot point, dependent upon someone figuring out how the Barnett formula works. And as even Joel Barnett could not manage that towards the end of his life I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that one.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:48 - May 20 with 1539 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:41 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sturgeon needs to get on with it.

The longer she waits, the more questioned the viability of north sea oil becomes.

Without confidence in funds from north sea oil, they wont get a 'yes' vote.

They're already taking eggs out of that basket and are looking to diversify the economy. TBH the time for independence with North Sea oil as the driver was decades ago.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:57 - May 20 with 1515 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:48 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

They're already taking eggs out of that basket and are looking to diversify the economy. TBH the time for independence with North Sea oil as the driver was decades ago.

Game over then!

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:00 - May 20 with 1513 viewsfooters

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:48 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

If only we'd nationalised North Sea oil and used it for the benefit of our citizens like Norway did. But we didn't. Oh well, there's always next time.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:02 - May 20 with 1507 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:57 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Game over then!

Yeah, I mean where would the Danes, Swedes or Finns be without their oil?

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:07 - May 20 with 1496 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:02 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I mean where would the Danes, Swedes or Finns be without their oil?

Thats not going to be a good independence slogan.

Needs to promote Scotlands alternative economic growth drivers...

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:15 - May 20 with 1473 viewsKeno

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 10:46 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

I don't understand the question really. Are they asking if anyone will actually have right of residency? Or only after 18 years?

In practical terms, Scotland as an independent nation would grant residency to any EU citizen, anyone born in Scotland and likely any UK resident who wants to move there. They need net immigration to grow the economy.

But until it actually happens that's not 100%.

Trying to make this simple (for my benefit not yours) under Inheritance Tax rules you pay death taxes based on the country you are domiciled in.

Usually, but not always, that will be the country you have paid in tax for the longest period and can only usually change it if you haven't lived a that country for 18 years or more.

So example say DK leave the UK to go and live in spain, He will be resident in spain and pay income tax there but if after 10 year he dies he will still be liable for UK IHT.

After 18 years he has has suffered all financial ties with the UK he can elect to be be deemed domiciled in Spain and on death wouldn't pay UK IHT.

Now apply that to Scotland if Scotland got independence and lets say had a lower death than the UK

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:20 - May 20 with 1467 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:07 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thats not going to be a good independence slogan.

Needs to promote Scotlands alternative economic growth drivers...

But they're doing that. Putting the oil and gas to the side entirely, Scotland already has the total package of infrastructure and human and natural resources as good as if not better than any single Scandinavian country.

The weakness compared to them (along with other regions in the UK it must be said) is decades of underinvestment and being subservient to the centralised needs of the UK economy. But as a sovereign economy the investment can be secured either through borrowing or securing foreign direct investment, all within the framework of the EU which understands and supports regions. Just see what the latter has done for Ireland despite being miles back in the 70s and 80s.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:25 - May 20 with 1453 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:20 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

But they're doing that. Putting the oil and gas to the side entirely, Scotland already has the total package of infrastructure and human and natural resources as good as if not better than any single Scandinavian country.

The weakness compared to them (along with other regions in the UK it must be said) is decades of underinvestment and being subservient to the centralised needs of the UK economy. But as a sovereign economy the investment can be secured either through borrowing or securing foreign direct investment, all within the framework of the EU which understands and supports regions. Just see what the latter has done for Ireland despite being miles back in the 70s and 80s.

What is their new flagship industry / industires?

Genuine question.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:27 - May 20 with 1453 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:15 - May 20 by Keno

Trying to make this simple (for my benefit not yours) under Inheritance Tax rules you pay death taxes based on the country you are domiciled in.

Usually, but not always, that will be the country you have paid in tax for the longest period and can only usually change it if you haven't lived a that country for 18 years or more.

So example say DK leave the UK to go and live in spain, He will be resident in spain and pay income tax there but if after 10 year he dies he will still be liable for UK IHT.

After 18 years he has has suffered all financial ties with the UK he can elect to be be deemed domiciled in Spain and on death wouldn't pay UK IHT.

Now apply that to Scotland if Scotland got independence and lets say had a lower death than the UK

Yeah, that's way out of my knowledge or even opinion.

I'd imagine that a lot would depend on whether Scotland was a member of the EU and had adopted the same rules. Or whether there was a special Scotland/rUK arrangement.

Maybe you can find the answer(or at least a strong indication) by delving into the arrangement for Northern Irish/Irish citizens? There's a special arrangement in place re: nationality and residence according to the GFA but there'll shortly be an EU/non-EU aspect too where domicile and tax will need to have been addressed.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:42 - May 20 with 1442 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:25 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

What is their new flagship industry / industires?

Genuine question.

Edinburgh would be able to develop its financial services industry which could probably be the biggest single sector. Then energy even without oil and gas but clearly that would be a big part initially. Tourism is already big. And there's a good basis for R&D and high-tech manufacture to be increased given the strong academic and scientific institutions already in place.

Then there's all the stuff in between like software development, local products like whisky, consultancy services, agriculture, design ... all the stuff that other 21st century countries have and look to sell abroad.

Simply put, between the differing strengths and weaknesses of Ireland and the Nordic nations and what's happened to them over the past few decades, many of whom were starting from a much worse position, there's no reason for Scotland to struggle.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:50 - May 20 with 1422 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:42 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

Edinburgh would be able to develop its financial services industry which could probably be the biggest single sector. Then energy even without oil and gas but clearly that would be a big part initially. Tourism is already big. And there's a good basis for R&D and high-tech manufacture to be increased given the strong academic and scientific institutions already in place.

Then there's all the stuff in between like software development, local products like whisky, consultancy services, agriculture, design ... all the stuff that other 21st century countries have and look to sell abroad.

Simply put, between the differing strengths and weaknesses of Ireland and the Nordic nations and what's happened to them over the past few decades, many of whom were starting from a much worse position, there's no reason for Scotland to struggle.

Is tourism that big beyond Edinburgh?

Suspect the competition for finance and R&D sectors will remain fierce from the rest of the UK, but depends what subsidies they offer.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:00 - May 20 with 1400 viewsfactual_blue

Do you have to have a domesticity injection against Covid-19?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:01 - May 20 with 1401 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 11:50 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Is tourism that big beyond Edinburgh?

Suspect the competition for finance and R&D sectors will remain fierce from the rest of the UK, but depends what subsidies they offer.

Simple answer, yes it is. The Highlands and Islands plus golf courses attract a lot of people. It's not like English tourism which is basically London.

Indeed. I suspect we'll have to go down a bit of the Irish route to encourage the financial services and foreign corporate interests.

But the key is to look at the whole and compare it to these countries in Northern Europe who lacked the overall capability initially. But now whose economies outperform Scotland and all other regions of the UK bar London and the South East. The key is not having your own country's needs subservient to something else entirely.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:11 - May 20 with 1385 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:01 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

Simple answer, yes it is. The Highlands and Islands plus golf courses attract a lot of people. It's not like English tourism which is basically London.

Indeed. I suspect we'll have to go down a bit of the Irish route to encourage the financial services and foreign corporate interests.

But the key is to look at the whole and compare it to these countries in Northern Europe who lacked the overall capability initially. But now whose economies outperform Scotland and all other regions of the UK bar London and the South East. The key is not having your own country's needs subservient to something else entirely.

English tourism is no way just London. Think of all the National Parks and York for example, even Liverpool is massive for Tourism.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:12 - May 20 with 1386 viewsleitrimblue

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:01 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

Surely they will just sit back an live off the reparations the English owe um for the first few years?
Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:30 - May 20 with 1360 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:11 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

English tourism is no way just London. Think of all the National Parks and York for example, even Liverpool is massive for Tourism.

I presumed you meant money coming into the economy not just money moving around within it. Foreign tourism isn't that big outside of London. Proportionally there's more of a balance between the capital and the rest of the country in Scottish tourism.

Of course, the English coming to Scotland would now be foreign tourism. And Scots will still come to London.

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:32 - May 20 with 1355 viewsDarth_Koont

Any of you nerdy lot know domesticity rules on 12:12 - May 20 by leitrimblue

Surely they will just sit back an live off the reparations the English owe um for the first few years?

There is that. And we can always threaten to scuttle their submarines.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024